How many of you think you'll have your TJ for life?

I see a few post on here about not keeping the TJ until the end because you can't see yourselves driving a 50 something year old vehicle. So if you had a '65 Vet you wouldn't want it anymore because it is old? LOL

I don't really think that's an apples to apples comparison.

Maybe, maybe not. Where I work we have used compressed natural gas to fuel vehicles since 1992, and just ordered four electric heavy duty buses. To charge them is going to take four 480 volt 80kw chargers. I think the future is natural gas for electric generation (where they don't have hydroelectric like we are blessed with here) and electric vehicles. What the proponents have failed to take into consideration how ever is the power grid needed to charge all these vehicles, and that is going to take a lot of infrastructure work. The demand on the utility companies will be huge. Most who are green in nature and embrace the electric vehicle concept will fight to the death to keep a new high voltage power line from coming through their area. They also don't like coal for power generation, or fracking for natural gas. We also have a lot of wind power in our area, but when the demand on utilities is high, such as very hot or very cold there is seldom enough wind to generate. So while it sounds great to say we are going to ban the internal combustion engine, I just don't see it happening in our lifetime.
Sorry Chris, I got off track there a bit.

B

Regardless of how they are powered they will be driving themselves. At some point we will no longer be able to justify allowing people to drive because self driving cars equipped with computers, gps and radar(?) will be orders of magnitude safer. If Jet planes were falling out of the sky every day there would be outrage and cries for reform. Driving is extremely dangerous but the accidents are spread out and you don't hear about most of them. I personally am in no great rush to give up driving, I find it enjoyable but come 2050 do I think I will still be driving my TJ or any other vehicle? Probably not.

Reactions: Kyle_W
But what are you all gonna do when you are longer allowed to drive it on public roads?
:(
This will happen.
I'm gonna break the law !!
This. A pure electric off road vehicle is impracticable for my uses. There is no way that the local electric company is going to run that much infrastructure out into the boonies so I can recharge my electric 4x4.

The natural resource extraction equipment may be exempted from the no internal combustion engine laws, but the proper management of those same natural resources takes people in small off road vehicles to accomplish.

If the .gov folks and the bunny huggers decide that they need to run me out of the woods, they are going to have to come into the woods to do it. Good luck with that. Bring friends, lots of friends. Pack a lunch.

And expect to live in a concrete and plastic house and wipe with plastic TP. How does that make environmental sense? Renewable forest products are everywhere in our lives. They are even in your McDonalds milkshake, for pete's sake. Trees are a crop, the difference being it takes 40 - 50 years to grow instead of a couple of seasons.

Reactions: MikeM and JP98
My desire for an electric vehicle has NOTHING to do with the environment. I simply love, love, love the torque and lack of maintenance that comes along with them.

I'll tell you what, I went for a ride in a Tesla P85D in "insane mode", and my god... If you haven't tried it, you'll shit your pants when you do.

It seems like the feeling you'd get in a fighter jet when they gunned it and you just got pinned to your seat. Seriously... It's such a rush.

They sold a WW II "jeep in a box" recently. The price was Stupid.
I figure that the number of people that have a memory connection to a Jeep is much larger than those of the Vet. Think about all those that drove one in the military, had an older brother that had one, a friend in high school or even had one themselves. There are way more of those than someone that once had a Vet to reminisce about.

Reactions: StG58
I figure that the number of people that have a memory connection to a Jeep is much larger than those of the Vet. Think about all those that drove one in the military, had an older brother that had one, a friend in high school or even had one themselves. There are way more of those than someone that once had a Vet to reminisce about.
They get older, get richer, and decide that they want a Rubihara LJ. Imagine what that is going to sell for!? You're probably talking in the same price category as a manual Hemi 'Cuda convertible with the shaker hood scoop.

I have only had one jeep in my life, the one I have now. So far, I love driving it but its not my DD. Will I keep it forever? Probably not. As soon as it starts costing me a fortune, nickel and dime-ing me, it will be put up for sale. I'm not really a "car" guy who likes to keep and restore old stuff, but that's just me. I do like working on them for regular maintenance type stuff and small repairs, but do I want to pull and rebuild / replace the motor or tranny? Not really. Usually, by then , so much other shit is wrong that it just isn't worth it, again, to me.
Every Vehicle I have now is at least 12 years old, most of which still have low mileage.
Now my Harley is another story. I've had some sort of bike since I was 8 or 9 years old. My current Harley is an '06. I was going to sell it when I bought the jeep because, like someone else pointed out, all the idiots texting and just generally driving bad, scares the shit out of me anymore. I mean, on my 30 minute ride home from work, I usually see a dozen or more people looking down at their phone rather than watching the road. But, I just can't seem to part ways with her. Now if she starts costing me a ton, I will have to cut her loose. Think Jeep shit is expensive? Try Harley parts. Those of you that have them know what I'm talking about. I can almost put four "decent" 33's on my jeep for what two harley tires cost installed, and its a rip off.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
The countries now embracing solar electricity, China for one, are finding as they wind down coal fired plants those very workers becoming unemployed are the ones getting retrained to build the solar infrastructure. And solar is now at the point it is cheaper per watt to generate electricity. Think about it. We process coal in BC and ship it to China. Sun arrives on site free. That plus huge improvements are being made in the generation and storage of electricity.

Those countries doing this on a big scale are also finding it is cheaper to distribute electricity from 1000 smaller solar plants than from 1 coal or hydro plant. And more efficient again. They actually predict eliminating some of the high tension transmission lines and reducing infrastructure even as demand increases. I know I'd love to be off grid with everything, cars included powered by "local, home grown" electricity.

Solar electricity is probably more practical for remote locations than for cities. It can cost thousands to run a power line into an acreage. And then you still have to buy the power.

Reactions: StG58
"My current Harley is an '06. I was going to sell it when I bought the jeep because, like someone else pointed out, all the idiots texting and just generally driving bad, scares the shit out of me"

Yep, I live rural, maybe 5000 people within an hour of my house, yet we get few motorcycles rear ended every year as they slow or stop to turn off the highway. The lucky ones are fatalities.

032417-dui-motorcycle-stuck-in-jeep-f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeM and StG58
I bought my '03 TJ from a couple who bought it new when they were 65. They were 75 when they sold it to me. I'll be 65 in a few months so I have that as a goal. I'll probably give it and my LJ to my two sons. I also have an XJ and a MJ so I'll move "in doors" when I get old. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Unlikley as The ULEZ (ultra low emmission zone) coming into play in the next few years means I will probably have to sell when they expand it to cover the entire city 24-7. It's not entirely clear yet but it looks like the first 3 years will be £1 sercharge per day giving me time to sell or leave. Then it goes up to £12 per day. As much as I love my TJ? I'm not willing to pay an extra 5grand per year on top of all the other extra taxes.

Great to have input from the UK ! You guys are only a few years ahead of places like LA, Vancouver, Toronto.
It is coming. But the demand for a great little 4x4 will still exist. And someone will build them. Only the power source will change.

Reactions: Reign Mack
Going to have my TJ until I die. Already decided that years ago! :D

I honestly would like to put one of those water powered Honda engines in it once my 4.0L dies out, or a 4BT Cummins so that with a little modification I can run on grease and vegetable oil!

Reactions: Reign Mack
Will I have my TJ for life? I don't know. I may own it that long. I've got to much money stuck into it and I'm not willing to give it away.
I have owned motorcycles on and off since I was big enough to get on them and since I've had my Jeep (bought it in 2014) I have way more fun in the Jeep then I ever did on a motorcycle.
Temperature wise it's cooler with the top and the doors off then driving a motorcycle.
The pros for owning a Jeep over a motorcycle are endless.
I will probably never own a motorcycle again since I found my Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
My desire for an electric vehicle has NOTHING to do with the environment. I simply love, love, love the torque and lack of maintenance that comes along with them.

I'll tell you what, I went for a ride in a Tesla P85D in "insane mode", and my god... If you haven't tried it, you'll shit your pants when you do.

It seems like the feeling you'd get in a fighter jet when they gunned it and you just got pinned to your seat. Seriously... It's such a rush.
This 100%! Search YouTube for teslas racing muscle cars and see for yourself

This 100%! Search YouTube for teslas racing muscle cars and see for yourself

I know, it's absolutely insane. I didn't believe it until I rode in one. It truly is an eye opening experience.

ANYONE who is skeptical of electric cars will change their mind once they ride in a Tesla with the pedal to the metal.