How much air does one Jeep need?

Hardly Warcane

So If I add an A.R.B. Locker ,I need air to make it work!
Ok, so how much air does it take?
Can any old tire 12 volt air pump pump it up to make the locker work?
Does the locker just need enough to shift into the lock mod then it's fine ,or does it need constant PSI to hold it locked?
Do I need a tank or reservoir of air?

How about single pump and double pumps ,is a double there to get faster air or more PSI?
If I have a pump for the locker then would I be able to use it to air up my tires too or are these types of pumps different ?
Thx for your options ahead of time.
I don't mind spending money on something that works ,but hate having to spend it multiple time till I get it right!
So you guys /gals options are very helpful for me!

It takes continuous air pressure on the order of 90 PSI. However, I believe it consumes no CFM after being locked, so if you pressurize it and there are no air leaks, it will stay locked until you vent the pressure.

Check out the Eaton Elocker as an alternative. Exact same concept, but instead of air pressure, all you do is apply 12V. It does draw continuous current when locked, but it's not all that much. Much easier to wire up than set up compressed air. Wires up pretty much the same as a set of lights would.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Check out the Eaton Elocker as an alternative. Exact same concept, but instead of air pressure, all you do is apply 12V. It does draw continuous current when locked, but it's not all that much. Much easier to wire up than set up compressed air. Wires up pretty much the same as a set of lights would.
X2.

Reactions: macleanflood
So If I add an A.R.B. Locker ,I need air to make it work!
Ok, so how much air does it take?
Can any old tire 12 volt air pump pump it up to make the locker work?
Does the locker just need enough to shift into the lock mod then it's fine ,or does it need constant PSI to hold it locked?
Do I need a tank or reservoir of air?

How about single pump and double pumps ,is a double there to get faster air or more PSI?
If I have a pump for the locker then would I be able to use it to air up my tires too or are these types of pumps different ?
Thx for your options ahead of time.
I don't mind spending money on something that works ,but hate having to spend it multiple time till I get it right!
So you guys /gals options are very helpful for me!

Keep it simple and use the small dedicated compressor ARB offers for supplying air to their lockers.

ARB CKSA12 Air Compressor Compact On-Board 12 Volts DC, Designed Exclusively for ARB Air Lockers Locking Differentials https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P919D4?tag=wranglerorg-20

Keep it simple and use the small dedicated compressor ARB offers for supplying air to their lockers.

ARB CKSA12 Air Compressor Compact On-Board 12 Volts DC, Designed Exclusively for ARB Air Lockers Locking Differentials https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P919D4?tag=wranglerorg-20

JJVW is correct, this is the best compressor for ARB's. But it is not onboard air (for tires), you'll need a separate compressor for that.

Reactions: LakeBeard and jjvw
I did Eaton E-lockers front and rear...Super 30/35 kits...more splines, stronger axles for 35s.

Then I added two VIAAIR compressors under the hood for airing up and down.

Took two hours to air up 8 35s (two Jeeps) from 12-15 psi to 28 using my 18v Makita air inflator.

Takes less than 15 minutes now.

IMG20240213063742.jpg

Also...if you need a locker for traction...then you should also be airing down. I'll throw out that airing down will probably help in more situations than a locker will. (Apologies in advance for blowing up this thread.)

-Mac

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ

You need at least a single (ARB) for the lockers.
I don't think the newer ones are designed for airing up tires.
If you want onboard air, the double (ARB) is designed to also do tires.
Or you could do a portable (cheaper) compressor for tires.
Either way, no need for a tank.

Depending on the frequency of use, a bottle of nitrogen is a possibility as well. Just need to regulate it down to a safe pressure, since the lockers need 90 PSI, not 2,000+. Most welding supply stores carry it. Carbon dioxide may also work.

If you're more of the redneck persuasion, a tank of propane is already around 150 PSI... (don't actually try this!)