How much can I lift my TJ before I have to start changing things

Schat64

Hey guys I was lucky enough to be gifted a new set of shocks for Christmas and I was wondering what ones I should go with I was thinking the Rancho rsx5000 I think they are called that anyways. But main question is I’m considering getting a new set of coil springs to go with them and lift the Jeep I was wondering how much lift I can get before I need to start changing more then shocks and springs I want to do a 35inch tire when I’m done and I don’t do a ton of wheeling I’ll also go for a high clearance fenders when I get the 35s so how tall can I go I’m hoping for 3 inches but you guys let me know what’s best thanks

If you're building around shocks you already have, we would need to know more about the shocks. Post the part numbers.

2" is the max before you have to start changing a lot of stuff.

You won't be able to run 35" tires successfully without 5" of lift (4" of suspension lift, and a 1" body lift) and a lot of money.

I'm not sure if you have any idea what's required to run 35s on a TJ, but it involves lots of money, that's for sure. If you want to do it right of course.

Also, keep in mind the only "high clearance" fenders that exist are highline fenders. The tube fenders you see from Smittybilt, Poison Spyder, Metalcloak, etc., are NOT highline fenders and do not offer any more practical clearance than stock.

If you want to run 35s and plan to off-road it, be prepared to spend 20k USD at least.

Could it be done cheaper? Sure, if you looked for used parts, did all the labor yourself, etc. However, there's no escaping the fact that running 35s isn't cheap, and running 35s on anything under 4-5" of lift is senseless.

The Rancho 5000x shock are regarded as one of the best shocks for the price and would work well. Decide on your springs and lift height. Cycle your suspension and measure. Then get the proper length shocks.
If your not off-roading what would be the purpose of 35's?

2" is the max before you have to start changing a lot of stuff.

You won't be able to run 35" tires successfully without 5" of lift (4" of suspension lift, and a 1" body lift) and a lot of money.

I'm not sure if you have any idea what's required to run 35s on a TJ, but it involves lots of money, that's for sure. If you want to do it right of course.

Also, keep in mind the only "high clearance" fenders that exist are highline fenders. The tube fenders you see from Smittybilt, Poison Spyder, Metalcloak, etc., are NOT highline fenders and do not offer any more practical clearance than stock.

If you want to run 35s and plan to off-road it, be prepared to spend 20k USD at least.

Could it be done cheaper? Sure, if you looked for used parts, did all the labor yourself, etc. However, there's no escaping the fact that running 35s isn't cheap, and running 35s on anything under 4-5" of lift is senseless.
Okay thanks Chris and I do plan on doing all the work myself my biggest question is if I want it for mostly being a mall crawler do I need to save for upgrading from the stock Dana 44s on the rubicon ?

You can go a lot of places with a basic 4" lift kit with longer fixed lowers on 35s. You will need to lower the TC skid 1" which is the biggest downfall IMO. Switching to a dual cardan driveshaft allows you to get rid of the TC drop and helps tremendously. That 1" helped my Jeep a lot. It is not ideal, but will take you places that will surprise you.

Okay thanks Chris and I do plan on doing all the work myself my biggest question is if I want it for mostly being a mall crawler do I need to save for upgrading from the stock Dana 44s on the rubicon ?

A built Dana 44 (alloy shafts and lockers) can handle 35" tires just fine :)

You don't need to go beyond a Dana 44 unless you're planning on running 37s or larger.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
My first lift was a Zone 3” and a 1 1/4” body lift on 33’s. It was very trouble free and rode very well. I would go there and see how you like it before I would go to 35’s right away. It’s a lot of $$$ that you will keep spending because there’s always something you didn’t think about that needs to be upgraded to handle that extra strain on other parts the 35’s bring with them. Like your front axel if your Jeep is not a rubicon just to start.

im runnnig a rough country 4" with a 1.25" body lift and a 1.25" transfercase drop with 35's, the only thing i have ran into is setting the pinion angle the rear coil perch needs to be notched out for the shocks. i would suggest a sye kit to keep the shovel up. if you do buy a cheap lift like rc buy a good set of shocks like the ranchos or bilstiens. the rc shocks ride like a 2x4

im runnnig a rough country 4" with a 1.25" body lift and a 1.25" transfercase drop with 35's, the only thing i have ran into is setting the pinion angle the rear coil perch needs to be notched out for the shocks. i would suggest a sye kit to keep the shovel up. if you do buy a cheap lift like rc buy a good set of shocks like the ranchos or bilstiens. the rc shocks ride like a 2x4
Why so much transfercase drop?

the "kit" i bought has some homemade rear uppers that are working for the time being. shocks, sye, driveshaft, currie controls arm in that order. ill end up notching the coil perch because the ranchos are a bigger diameter then hope the homemade arms have enough length to set the pinion angle correctly. i do have vibrations from bad pinion angle but i assume the axle needs to be rolled back a bit more.

my biggest question is if I want it for mostly being a mall crawler
I wasn't being derogatory to the OP, these are his words not mine. He may not be the only one out there wanting to build a "Mall Crawler" so what the hell, give them a place to call their own as long as it's a TJ Mall Crawler!

I wasn't being derogatory to the OP, these are his words not mine. He may not be the only one out there wanting to build a "Mall Crawler" so what the hell, give them a place to call their own as long as it's a TJ Mall Crawler!

hey thanks the OP here and I know it’s not derogatory. Im just looking to get some info to be able to have something fun and cool looking to drive around in and maybe wheel on some light trails and fire roads but I don’t have big time wheeling around where I live so I just want a fun cruiser that looks awesome and for the little wheeling I’m gonna do if I break something going wheeling and because I didn’t do the“hardcore” build then I’ll deal with that. But currently I have a stock 2006 TJ rubicon I was hoping to be able to get away with 35s and a basic 3-4” lift. because I went for the rubicon and payed the extra for the 4-1 transfer case the Dana 44s and the lockers. I love driving my Jeep it’s my first manual transmission vehicle and it’s awesome I just want to make it look cooler and maybe a little mor fun off road.

Reactions: Blondie70