How much force to disengage throw out bearing?

84Scramblerman

So while driving my jeep tj, I suddenly lost the ability to shift gears easily. Ive had to replace the slave cylinder before so I knew the signs. I thought it would be an easy swap but I was wrong. I installed the new cylinder. We were on the last bleed cycle when we heard a loud pop. The plastic retainers had already broke the cycle before so we knew it wasn't a good sign. Fluid was instantly pouring out of the surface where the slave bolts up. We soon learned that the push rod and rubber piece had blown off. I was able to get the rubber piece because it hadn't fallen down yet. The rod is in the bottom of the bell housing. First question is I have is what's the easiest way to get it out?

Next is why it happened. I assume I missed the release arm cup with the push rod. But I could also have a bad throw out bearing. Im able to feel the release arm. With my finger, I can pull it all the way up to the mounting surface; or push it back against the throw out bearing. Once against the throw out bearing, it sits at 3 3/8 like its supposed to. I used an old lifter rod and tried to push the release arm. It didn't budge. Is it possible for the throw out bearing to seize in the disengaged position or does it just take more force than I have to offer?

Any knowledge or advice helps!

2002 Jeep TJ
4.0 L
NV3550 transmission

Last edited:
You can try to take the inspection plate off and fish it out, but you may end up having to separate the transmission from the engine.

Start by removing the starter and then all the bolts that hold the inspection cover on. Remove the inspection cover and try to fish it out. A magnet on a stick and a USB video probe might be of use. You might only be able to go through the starter hole.

However, based on previous posts, I'm pretty pessimistic you'd be able to fish them out.

If I were you I would order all the parts to do a clutch job and prepare to split the engine and transmission. If you have to open it, best to replace everything. It takes all weekend, so you don't want to do it twice.

Reactions: Woodrow