How much improvement will I feel going to RS5000X shocks?

Jcraig

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would like to improve the road manners of my LJ without spending a small fortune. Am running Cooper AT3 XLTs E load range 25 psi and the ride seems harsh. How much improvement might be felt by going to the Ranchos? The tires are new so going to C load range is out of the question.

The Ranchos will definitely help. But I think I got at least as much benefit when I took off the OP's range E to my new Cooper AT3 4S LT tires.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your tires are a huge part of the problem.

Shocks will help, but the right tire and the right psi will help even more.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your tires are a huge part of the problem.

Shocks will help, but the right tire and the right psi will help even more.
Seems I'm locked in as these tires were bought just recently before learning about load ratings. Was just looking for a quieter ride not realizing the effect of load rating and comfort. Thanks for the reply

Reactions: Chris
Try the RS5000X shocks first. $200 for a set of four shocks vs $1000 for a set of tires.

If you're looking to spend for premium shocks, the fox remote reservoir shocks are considered to be one of the best available. They can even be pre-tuned to your vehicle's weight before installation. They can also be bought with CD adjuster knobs. But at $350 a corner ($1400 total) they're far from cheap.

My recommendation is start with the RS5000X shocks, since they're a seventh of the price of the Fox shocks. Even if you do upgrade in the future, $200 is small relative to the price of the new shocks. (But if you have the cash to spend the Fox shocks are the premium option.)

Reactions: Jcraig
I have 35x12.5x15 Deegan 38 load range C tires by Mickey Thompson and rs5000x shocks and I am not impressed in the least. I have tried different air pressure between 23 psi to 30 psi and settled on 26. Below that the ride was not noticeably better and seemed to wallow and feel vague. Before the 5000s I had 9000s and did not feel much difference between them and the 9000s on full soft. I would not consider either better than the old rusty, leaking shocks that were on the Jeep when I bought it. Less compression and more rebound is what I would change.

Do the chalk test on the tires. I bet you'll need to air them down quite a bit more to get a full contact patch. That will soften up the ride some
E range can be dropped considerably ..desert off road dirt bike guys run a hard carcass tire , and low psi on the rear. The sidewall adds so much strength , you can get by with less air ..just don't run it so low the rear is loose.

It all depends on your buttometer.

I’d let some air out of the Load E tires, maybe 22 psi

I’d buy the Rancho 5000X shocks

Reactions: AndyG
Thanks for your interest. Pro Comp 2056.
I believe my Jeep had these same shocks and when I changed them out I was BLOWN away at the ride improvement. I think you will be quite happy if you make the change.

I believe my Jeep had these same shocks and when I changed them out I was BLOWN away at the ride improvement. I think you will be quite happy if you make the change.
Thanks for your reply. Did you also have the E load range tires?

I have 35x12.5x15 Deegan 38 load range C tires by Mickey Thompson and rs5000x shocks and I am not impressed in the least. I have tried different air pressure between 23 psi to 30 psi and settled on 26. Below that the ride was not noticeably better and seemed to wallow and feel vague. Before the 5000s I had 9000s and did not feel much difference between them and the 9000s on full soft. I would not consider either better than the old rusty, leaking shocks that were on the Jeep when I bought it. Less compression and more rebound is what I would change.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciated.

Reactions: Dilly Dilly
It all depends on your buttometer.

I’d let some air out of the Load E tires, maybe 22 psi

I’d buy the Rancho 5000X shocks
Thanks on the fence here. Will air down to 23/22 on the road and see what happens. Am at 25 now. Appreciate your advice.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I went from Rancho RS5000 shocks to Fox shocks (no-remote), and the difference was beyond night and day. The Rancho RS5000 absolutely sucked. The Fox has been amazing.
Note: there is a huge difference in feedback from the RS5000 and the RS5000X. That X at the end apparently makes all the difference in the world. But my experience with the RS5000 has soured me from trusting Rancho. But there is a ton of good feedback from RS5000X users...

So shocks definitely make a noticeable difference in ride quality.

I would, however, heavily consider trying to sell those E load tires, and get C load.
You will likely take a bit of a financial loss, but consider how often you'll be driving the Jeep and what your comfort is worth.