How much lift do I need for 35s?

Lastof11

let me start by saying I'm to this forum and new to the Jeep world. Last year I picked up an 06 Rubicon Unlimited that has never been touch so I'd like to do it right the first time. My body guy said to pick out the tires and wheels first so he can match them to the lift. I picked 16 inch Mammoth Generals sitting on 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers. Now he keeps telling me that all I need is a 2.5 inch lift but my gut tell me at least 4 inches, plus I'm overwhelmed on the amount of choices in lift kits, long arm, short arm, body, suspension.... I don't plan on building a rock crawler yet but I would like my Jeep to sit tall with good overall handling. Thanks for your help and have a great day.

IMG_0940.JPG

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
let me start by saying I'm to this forum and new to the Jeep world.
welcome to the site 🍻
Now he keeps telling me that all I need is a 2.5 inch lift but my gut tell me at least 4 inches
Your body guy don't know Jack. Your gut is better informed.
plus I'm overwhelmed on the amount of choices in lift kits, long arm, short arm, body, suspension....
4" short arm lift kit, 1.25" rigid puck body lift kit and the best shocks you can afford is what you want
I don't plan on building a rock crawler yet but I would like my Jeep to sit tall with good overall handling.
good parts and great set up will get you there

let me start by saying I'm to this forum and new to the Jeep world. Last year I picked up an 06 Rubicon Unlimited that has never been touch so I'd like to do it right the first time. My body guy said to pick out the tires and wheels first so he can match them to the lift. I picked 16 inch Mammoth Generals sitting on 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers. Now he keeps telling me that all I need is a 2.5 inch lift but my gut tell me at least 4 inches, plus I'm overwhelmed on the amount of choices in lift kits, long arm, short arm, body, suspension.... I don't plan on building a rock crawler yet but I would like my Jeep to sit tall with good overall handling. Thanks for your help and have a great day.

View attachment 344777

Welcome!
200.gif

Get ready to spend a lot of money 😉

What @Chris said X2!

Reactions: flyinfish and Chris
I did a heavy spring 2.5" OME lift with a 1" body lift. I ended up with 3.25" with the heavy springs and a soft top. I added 3/4 spacers in the front to balance the stance. So roughly 4.25 inch change total. I tummy tucked it with no vibrations.

I put on a used $100 set of wide flat plastic fenders to keep the crap off me when I go through snow and water. The tires were kicking up sprinkler runoff on me on the way to work with my top down.

I adjusted the bump stops before going to Moab so the 35" tires wouldn't rub. I had enough articulation and clearance to easily get up and over anything my front bumper could clear.

3.5-4" like I have will keep it more street drivable and 5" more offroad capable.

A 2.5" heavy spring lift with 1" body lift, 1" mml, 3/4" front rake adjustment and UCF high tummy tuck, looks like this. The bumpstop adjustment keeps the tires from rubbing anything.

20220717_115351.jpg

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I did a heavy spring 2.5" OME lift with a 1" body lift. I ended up with 3.25" with the heavy springs and a soft top. I added 3/4 spacers in the front to balance the stance. So roughly 4.25 inch change total. I tummy tucked it with no vibrations.

I put on a used $100 set of wide flat plastic bumpers to keep the crap off me when I go through snow and water. The tires were kicking up sprinkler runoff on me on the way to work with my top down.

I adjusted the bump stops before going to Moab so the 35" tires wouldn't rub. I had enough articulation and clearance to easily get up and over anything my front bumper could clear.

3.5-4" like I have will keep it more street drivable and 5" more offroad capable.

A 2.5" heavy spring lift with 1" body lift, 1" mml, 3/4" front rake adjustment and UCF high tummy tuck, looks like this. The bumpstop adjustment keeps the tires from rubbing anything.

View attachment 344789

Those are some nice looking tires and wheels.

Reactions: RINC and InOmaha
Unfortunately you aren’t going to receive consistent advice anywhere but of all the places you can ask for tj advice this place is pretty good. I strongly, strongly recommend spending some time reading through some of the build threads and resources threads before you spend any more money. After sifting through and absorbing some wisdom, you will probably find yourself regretting how you went about things if you buy everything now. Best of luck and congrats on purchasing the best (imo) Jeep ever made! Also don’t buy a longarm kit. It will do nothing but make you very sad.

YEP those steps look like cheese graters :ROFLMAO:

I have a set of Poison Spider Ricochet Rockers waiting at the powder coater.

4" short arm suspension with 1.25 body lift, Fox Series 2 or Teraflex Falcon 3 shocks and a 4" premium short arm lift from Claytonoffroad ?

Unfortunately you aren’t going to receive consistent advice anywhere but of all the places you can ask for tj advice this place is pretty good. I strongly, strongly recommend spending some time reading through some of the build threads and resources threads before you spend any more money. After sifting through and absorbing some wisdom, you will probably find yourself regretting how you went about things if you buy everything now. Best of luck and congrats on purchasing the best (imo) Jeep ever made! Also don’t buy a longarm kit. It will do nothing but make you very sad.

Thanks. I've been poking around for the past year but as you know there is a FU_KN plethora of options and paths to follow, just hopping to get into some good conversations with like minded ppl that can help me through the newbie growing pain, like the long arm or short arm thing.

Reactions: HornedToad

I put on a used $100 set of wide flat plastic bumpers to keep the crap off me when I go through snow and water. The tires were kicking up sprinkler runoff on me on the way to work with my top down.

View attachment 344789

Hell that looks good, I bought the same fenders

YEP those steps look like cheese graters :ROFLMAO:

I have a set of Poison Spider Ricochet Rockers waiting at the powder coater.

4" short arm suspension with 1.25 body lift, Fox Series 2 or Teraflex Falcon 3 shocks and a 4" premium short arm lift from Claytonoffroad ?

Neither shocks. Pick something else. Fox are very stiff, falcons have adjusters that hang very low.

Clayton makes quality suspension, you won’t be disappointed in it.

If it were me, I would spend the coin and get Fox 2.0 smoothie shocks with remote reservoir and outboard the rear shocks. Those do run about 400-450 per shock and outboard if requires some work/a good technician, but you’ll only have to do it once. Then you can have those shocks custom tuned to your vehicle. This is where you are likely to end up anyhow.

If you don’t want to do that with the shocks, and want something off the shelf, I’d get the skyjacker blackmax. Others here seem to like the rancho5000x as well. But don’t get the fox or falcon, there’s a good chance you won’t like them. I had the fox, never liked them. I now run the blackmax until I can get my suspension to a point where I want to outboard and get custom tuned shocks.