How much of an angle before oil starvation?

This is interesting... Is this something that someone would actually know?

I guess we'll see.

I'm guessing that somebody would.

The back story on this is I was playing on the frozen snow piles at work last night. Great fun and very instructive. The TJ was happy to play and my backsides were vacuum sealed to the seat a couple of times.

I was sitting on the side of a snow pile and thought to look at the gauges. Yup, all good. My ass had a firm grip on the seat at the time.

I was just wonder at what point past pucker engine damage occurs.

Reactions: Chris
I wonder that sometimes when I have my dozer standing on its nose with the seat belt on because i'm past the pucker point, when will the oil gauge start to waiver?

Reactions: StG58
Spent a couple of hours this afternoon searching for an answer, and came up with some interesting stuff. Jeep won't even say how far over you can go. (Or up) I did gather some good anecdotal evidence that points to don't worry about engine oiling though. It's a non-issue in the real world.

To the side it seems that you can go 40-45 degrees and up to about 60 degrees going up or down hill. That depends on how your Jeep is built, so don't sue me if you flop it over. I've got diagrams and pictures that would look good in a write up.

My thought is that if you go far enough up (or over) to worry about oil starvation, you've likely got bigger problems to worry about.

My thought is that if you go far enough up (or over) to worry about oil starvation, you've likely got bigger problems to worry about.
No doubt. I was half curious if a dry sump system made sense on a TJ. It really doesn't look like it. It appears that the oiling system works just fine until you flop one over. They sure don't corner well enough to warrant one.
BTW, updated the thread title to something more descriptive.
Thanks @Chris, that title is a lot clearer.

I got to looking at ultimate stability too. Man, that's a can of worms in itself. You can test for static stability, but dynamic stability is pretty much untestable. Even getting an estimate is a fool's errand. I did discover that 98% of us are not even getting close. That's reassuring.

You and I certainly aren't getting close, that's for sure. Maybe @Jerry Bransford, @mrblaine and @Garza are though!

The only ever vehicles I see dry dump systems in are high performance sports cars. Hell, I know a Corvette ZO6 has a dry sump system.

You and I certainly aren't getting close, that's for sure. Maybe @Jerry Bransford, @mrblaine and @Garza are though!

The only ever vehicles I see dry dump systems in are high performance sports cars. Hell, I know a Corvette ZO6 has a dry sump system.
I started to put one togather for a '68 Z28, DZ coded Camaro one time a long time ago. I was trying to keep the oil from roping up on the crankshaft at high RPMs. Wrecked it before it got installed though. Bummed me out.

I started to put one togather for a '68 Z28, DZ coded Camaro one time a long time ago. I was trying to keep the oil from roping up on the crankshaft at high RPMs. Wrecked it before it got installed though. Bummed me out.

One of my old Aprilia motorcycles came from the factory with a dry sump system. Always found that very cool, since even race motorcycles don't use dry sump systems oddly enough.

Dry sump on a motorcycle. ..who knew?

A windage tray and a baffled oil pan would have worked for me just as well. I had access to a bunch of cool toys at the time though, and it seemed like a good idea.

Dry sump on a motorcycle. ..who knew?

A windage tray and a baffled oil pan would have worked for me just as well. I had access to a bunch of cool toys at the time though, and it seemed like a good idea.

Yep, most motorcycles have windage trays, but this one had a dry sump system and a rotax engine. Go figure!

They also make a lot of engines for Can-Ams, snow mobiles, wave runners, etc. Buell also used a Rotax engine for a while as well.

Little of topic but....i have heard in several threads that the old 3 spd auto's " 32RH" could exceed it's vertical / angle and start dry pumping. Appears to be an easy fix also.

Must not be an issue with engine oil , at least doesn't appear to be given all the Jeep videos of them almost vertical coming out of holes in Moab. Lol

Reactions: StG58 and Chris