How much power can I expect from a 4.6 stroker?

Mikeythemikster

TJ Enthusiast
Just ordered the stage 2 stroker kit and stage 2 cam kit from cleggengines. 30 thou oversized and i also ordered the hptuners tuner even though they say the stock ecm will work. Anyone have any idea what kind of power i should expect from this setup?

HPTuners works just fine on 97-06 PCMs, not sure where you read that.

Are you doing headwork or just the bottom end? If you want to maximize the power from your stroker, you need head work and some actual long tube headers like these ones:

https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/tj-jeep/products/jeep-1998-2006-tj-4-0l-long-system
The weak point on the 4.0 isn't the bottom end. It's the top end and how it doesn't flow / breathe nearly as well is it could.

If you aren't doing the top end with a nice set of headers like that and head work, you're not going to get the greatest results. With the headwork and headers like that, you'll gain an extra 50-60 RWHP I would say, honestly.

From the bottom end and a tune alone (with everything else stock), maybe 30 HP at most. Increasing the bore doesn't do much for HP (though it does for torque), unless you increased the compression and got forged rods, pistons, etc.

I “think” the OP is saying he was told that the stock PCM will work fine with the new stroker, but tuning will be needed to maximize the results. Meaning HP Tuners does work...

Boy, I would think Cleggs would be the place to go for that information. It's their upgrade so they have likley dino's the setup with a variety of head upgrades. I sure wouldn't order any upgrade rebuild system without first knowing if I can expect it to be an actual upgrade.

Well im piecing the kit together so im going to buy the stage 3 head from them before i run it just gotta work a few overtimes to afford it

A stock 0331 flows about the same as a stock Dodge Viper head at the lift Jeep cams typically have, less than .500". I don't think the heads are much of a restriction. I will be mostly cleaning up the casting flaws and the short side radius on mine along with a valve job. $850 doesn't sound like a bad deal for the work done, but the $350 upcharge for a 0331, is getting pricey. You don't need a ton of flow for a 5000 rpm motor. Link to head flow numbers.

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm

Well im piecing the kit together so im going to buy the stage 3 head from them before i run it just gotta work a few overtimes to afford it

Please post pics up of the head when you get it. Ive been meaning to call them about this head. Im thinking of doing the Head, Cam and Harland Rockers next winter.

A stock 0331 flows about the same as a stock Dodge Viper head at the lift Jeep cams typically have, less than .500". I don't think the heads are much of a restriction. I will be mostly cleaning up the casting flaws and the short side radius on mine along with a valve job. $850 doesn't sound like a bad deal for the work done, but the $350 upcharge for a 0331, is getting pricey. You don't need a ton of flow for a 5000 rpm motor. Link to head flow numbers.

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm

Yeah you can buy the Aluminum head by the time you ad the surcharge. I would like to see the numbers from Cleggs head and the Edelbrock head to see how they compare.