How much shock shaft should be showing at ride height?

Jake kozlowski

TJ Enthusiast
Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage, AK, USA
How much exposed shaft on the rear shocks should be showing? Just normal daily driving it's about 3in. Is that normal?

Not sure if it's time for new springs, but I for sure want to change shocks. Extremely rough ride. Looking at RS5000X, but not sure if I need all new shock measurements or just pull the old and use those measurements.

Currently running procomp chromoly adventure series lift kit. It's either 3 or 4 inches. Was installed in 2007.

It’s a Jeep not a Cadillac! Having said that, going on 12 years wears on shocks, not so much springs. Does it seem to be sagging?

It’s a Jeep not a Cadillac! Having said that, going on 12 years wears on shocks, not so much springs. Does it seem to be sagging?
The pro comp lift has always been extremely rough.

Not sure if it's sagging since I never took measurements from back then. I don't think it's sagging, but I would think there should be more shock exposed.

Well ideally at ride height 1/2" of the travel should be showing.

So for instance, if you have 6" of total travel, you'd want 3" of up-travel, and 3" of down-travel, so at ride height, you'd want roughly 3" of shock shat showing.

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
The pro comp lift has always been extremely rough.

Not sure if it's sagging since I never took measurements from back then. I don't think it's sagging, but I would think there should be more shock exposed.
ProComp lifts are notoriously stiff riding due to the base level ProComp ES-3000 springs included in the kit. They're a horribly stiff riding shock, I became more involved them than I wanted to be while working for ProComp's parent company Transamerica. My Jeep and truck dealer clients regularly complained about the stiff ride they gave.

And as above, the shock strut should be extended about half-way of its total length when the Jeep is sitting flat on the ground at its normal ride height.

ProComp lifts are notoriously stiff riding due to the base level ProComp ES-3000 springs included in the kit. They're a horribly stiff riding shock, I became more involved them than I wanted to be while working for ProComp's parent company Transamerica. My Jeep and truck dealer clients regularly complained about the stiff ride they gave.

And as above, the shock strut should be extended about half-way of its total length when the Jeep is sitting flat on the ground at its normal ride height.
Copy! I will have to go take some measurements to see what my new replacements will be!

I haven't heard good things in regards to ride quality for procomp. Hoping that the shocks will help out the ride and hopefully I don't need all new springs.

Copy! I will have to go take some measurements to see what my new replacements will be!

I haven't heard good things in regards to ride quality for procomp. Hoping that the shocks will help out the ride and hopefully I don't need all new springs.
One good shock recommendation is Rancho's gas chargedRS5000X. Don't confuse it with Rancho's older hydraulic RS5000 that rides every bit as stiffly as ProComp's ES-3000 does.

One good shock recommendation is gas charged Rancho's RS5000X. Don't confuse it with Rancho's older hydraulic RS5000 that rides every bit as stiffly as ProComp's ES-3000 does.
That's the shock that I'm looking at! I've been reading through the forum on the RS50000X and haven't read a bad review! Just need to make sure I buy the right length.

Reactions: Alex01
That's the shock that I'm looking at! I've been reading through the forum on the RS50000X and haven't read a bad review! Just need to make sure I buy the right length.
Keep in mind Rancho's recommended shock lengths for various lift heights usually give too long of a shock. If you are deciding between a longer vs. shorter shock for a given shock height from their chart go with the shorter choice. Twice I've received too long of a shock from using their chart.

It's best to remove your springs and measure the available length between the shock mounts with the axle fully compressed and then fully drooped. That will give you the compressed and extended shock lengths needed.

Keep in mind Rancho's recommended shock lengths for various lift heights usually give too long of a shock. If you are deciding between a longer vs. shorter shock for a given shock height from their chart go with the shorter choice. Twice I've received too long of a shock from using their chart.

It's best to remove your springs and measure the available length between the shock mounts with the axle fully compressed and then fully drooped. That will give you the compressed and extended shock lengths needed.
Noted. I will have to post my results after measurements for some assistance.

With removal of the springs do you also recommend to remove the sway bar links as well? Just to make sure compressed would be resting on bump stops. I guess that would be a great time to see if I have the right size bump stops so I'm not rubbing.

What size lift do you have?

I believe it's 3 or 4. That lift kit isn't listed on their website anymore.
The stock springs are 12" in the front and 8" in the rear. Anything above those lengths is lift.

For my 4 inch lift and my prior 3.5 I use the rancho rs5000x designed for the 3.5 inch lift. The only issue I have with them is with my configuration the body of the shock is my limiting factor for up travel.

That said they are great shocks and by far the best I have had. (I have ran Bilstein 5100s and OME Nitrosports)

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
The stock springs are 12" in the front and 8" in the rear. Anything above those lengths is lift.

For my 4 inch lift and my prior 3.5 I use the rancho rs5000x designed for the 3.5 inch lift. The only issue I have with them is with my configuration the body of the shock is my limiting factor for up travel.

That said they are great shocks and by far the best I have had. (I have ran Bilstein 5100s and OME Nitrosports)
Is that shock measurements at ride height or the shock off the vehicle?

Ome was my first choice but I've read on the forums that people love the 5000x. For the price it's worth the attempt!

Is that shock measurements at ride height or the shock off the vehicle?

Ome was my first choice but I've read on the forums that people love the 5000x. For the price it's worth the attempt!
Ride height.

I was not a fan of my Nitro Sports. They did not handle washboard type roads well at all. You'll be very happy with the ranchos.