How much should I expect to pay for a TJ

thomat65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
How much should I expect to pay for each of:

* An LJ
* A TJ Rubi
* An LJR

...with a very clean frame, essentially stock, and less than 150k miles?

I would plan to daily it and occasionally off-road if the opportunity arises.

I love a quick shifting manual transmission in a car but I am fine with auto in other kinds of vehicles, especially if you guys feel the torque converter is extra helpful in a stock Jeep. I'm not picky about color—I think Jeeps look good in any hue. Hard or soft top is fine, but having both would be awesome. When the time comes there will be no need to limit the search to just my part of the country. And I am willing to wait. In fact I'm going to have to wait for maybe another year or so depending on price haha.

Thanks!

P.S. I wasn't sure if this should go in the "Wanted" forum? I'm technically not looking to buy anything at this point.

How much should I expect to pay for each of:

* An LJ
* A TJ Rubi
* An LJR

...with a very clean frame, essentially stock, and less than 150k miles?

I would plan to daily it and occasionally off-road if the opportunity arises.

I love a quick shifting manual transmission in a car but I am fine with auto in other kinds of vehicles, especially if you guys feel the torque converter is extra helpful in a stock Jeep. I'm not picky about color—I think Jeeps look good in any hue. Hard or soft top is fine, but having both would be awesome. When the time comes there will be no need to limit the search to just my part of the country. And I am willing to wait. In fact I'm going to have to wait for maybe another year haha.

Thanks!

P.S. I wasn't sure if this should go in the "Wanted" forum? I'm technically not looking to buy anything at this point.
Location is the number one factor that dictates price. Here in Ca I would expect a Lj to be around 14k a TJR to be about 12-15k and an LJR to be 18-20k. Manual's are generally cheaper than autos.

Reactions: thomat65
Yeah location makes a difference. I'm in Washington and when I was looking, a Rubicon in good shape with less than 150k would cost 14k easy. For reference, I paid 9k for my 98 Sport with a manual transmission and under 100k miles but it was bone stock and I honestly don't think the guy knew what he could get for it so I got lucky lol.

I've been keeping my prices on these models for the past couple of months before I got my LJ this past week. I'm in AZ and the prices Alex01 mentioned also lines up with what I saw.

• LJ: 14-16k in clean condition with less than 130k miles
  • TJR: The two I saw dip below $12k was because both were over 155k miles. Asking prices usually topped around $18k, but some went over that if it was super low mileage and relatively stock.
  • LJR: The cheapest one I saw was mentioned in this forum out in Vegas. Someone wanted $16k for a stock, sub 100k mile one. That was a fluke though. The ones I saw in my area started around $18k and quickly climbed from there.
Patience is key though. I started looking around September and let quite a few solid TJ deals pass by because I had my eye on an LJ. Since you mention you may have to wait a year, just keep a regular eye on Craigslist and other sites to get an idea of the market around your neck of the woods.

I've been keeping my prices on these models for the past couple of months before I got my LJ this past week. I'm in AZ and the prices Alex01 mentioned also lines up with what I saw.

• LJ: 14-16k in clean condition with less than 130k miles
  • TJR: The two I saw dip below $12k was because both were over 155k miles. Asking prices usually topped around $18k, but some went over that if it was super low mileage and relatively stock.
  • LJR: The cheapest one I saw was mentioned in this forum out in Vegas. Someone wanted $16k for a stock, sub 100k mile one. That was a fluke though. The ones I saw in my area started around $18k and quickly climbed from there.
Patience is key though. I started looking around September and let quite a few solid TJ deals pass by because I had my eye on an LJ. Since you mention you may have to wait a year, just keep a regular eye on Craigslist and other sites to get an idea of the market around your neck of the woods.
These are good numbers . Here is the key-

You have to be able to evaluate one and know is this a 13,000 TJ that’s ready to go or a 13,000 TJ that needs 5,000 -8000 in work?

Can this happen? In a heartbeat .

I paid top dollar for one with 20,000 miles, garage kept, and come to find out it was probably many , many trail miles. It was probably the worst one with that mileage I could have found. I have a knack for that stupidity. It had been wheeled, pressure washed underneath and garaged over and over.

The lift was outdated and dilapidated

The shocks were junk

the tires were so old they were no longer even made

the u joints were toast

the gears were wrong for the tires ,now catch this...at this point it’s lifted , set up for all this , and not even safe to drive....and I’m over 20k in when I started .

the winch was rusted inside

(Any one see this adding up ?)

Belt , fluids , hub bearings , had a bent rear axle , every bushing was cracked , dried shot , sway bar disconnects were junk, wiper blades , air box (preferred stock) cracked exhaust manifold, uffler on backwards and loose baffles , plugs , brake pads, belt pulley , and on and on .

Plus there were tons of things I just wanted ...savvy cable ,back up cam, , Bartact seat covers , new kc light covers , new windows , etc.

Now , I’m going even further ..,,all this , and it’s a manual . I had never had an automatic Jeep til I bought my second TJ this summer . The automatic will walk away from a the gappy NV 3550 5 speed plus it’s very effective in the rocks..,you can focus on the obstacle , not keeping the engine alive . I will likely never buy another manual. In short , I should have a stellar rig for what I have laid out ... it’s cool and fun , but it’s not what a TJ should be with this much invested . As I I was trying to buy my way out of all this , I still didn’t know enough , and did the wrong shocks and a lift that works but wasn’t what I needed really .

so what’s my point besides showing the world my mistakes?

As analytical as you are , and deliberate , with this forum and a year to learn...,,don’t let this happen to you .

Know what you want and learn to recognize it . Become really good at how to evaluate one. Know what you are looking for , and you will recognize it when you see it . I killed it on Rubicon #2 , I have 11,700 in it complete with 80,000 and no rust...New tires , new top, new fluids , Bartact seat covers , ready to go ....because I knew what I was looking at.

Good on you for working ahead . This is the place to be for good TJ know how . Hang around .

I always found values like this by looking thru classified ads in my area, KBB or NADA values, or used car dealer lots. You may not get the best prices from any of these, but it gives you an idea of what prices your market will bear. And many times if your willing to travel a bit, you will be able to find a better ride for less money (ie; less rust, more stock or more aftermarket items, etc).

Rubicons get pretty high prices here..... $12k - $15k for a TJ & over $20k for LJs. I have no idea if anyone actually gets those prices, but thats where the listings start.

All that said, my 4.0 liter spun a rod bearing at less than 117k miles. So low mileage doesn't mean jack squat. If you don't know what your looking at, have a mechanic do a once over on any candidate you get serious about. Probably the best couple hundred bucks you'll spend on a Jeep.

I bought my LJ just over a year ago. I'm near Buffalo, NY so finding rust-free vehicles is nearly impossible here. I was looking for a clean TJ/LJ for well over a year when I found mine down in Ohio. It's an '06 that had been garaged its entire life. 85,000 on the clock, stick, full doors with soft top, zero rust, never left pavement. The PO had a BDS 3" lift installed with 33's on aluminum wheels. He had all the receipts for the parts and the labor. He was asking $16K, I got it for $14K. I probably could have done a little better, but I had already been on the hunt for awhile, and given my location I think I did alright..

Take a look at the For Sale/ For Sale Finds threads on this forum. There's also usually someone saying if its a good deal or not.