How much should it cost to paint half doors to match the Jeep?

Thats cheap for what I was told by my local autobody shop, I went with @02GreenTJ to our local shop to get a quote for his half doors and my full doors to get matched to our jeeps. Get this... They tell us that if we strip all the paneling and remove the stuff for them to paint it will save us some money... with that discount they wanted 1400$ for my FULL DOORS and $1300 for his HALF DOORS. We walked out right on the spot.
Some places don’t need or want the work.

I have to wonder if they get tired of people complaining that the colors don’t perfectly match.

Reactions: D M
Thats cheap for what I was told by my local autobody shop, I went with @02GreenTJ to our local shop to get a quote for his half doors and my full doors to get matched to our jeeps. Get this... They tell us that if we strip all the paneling and remove the stuff for them to paint it will save us some money... with that discount they wanted 1400$ for my FULL DOORS and $1300 for his HALF DOORS. We walked out right on the spot.
Maybee I will open a Jeep door painting shop. That's ridiculous $$$

Reactions: D M and Apparition
It’s not easy to match and doors are a bad spot.
It was a Joke. But I could do it with a bit of practice. I am pretty good with the old hvlp and color matching repairs. Of course you would sign a disclosure that color matching new surface to old surface exactly can not be guaranteed.🤑

Reactions: Apparition
I was quoted $400 with me stripping the hardware. There was some rust to deal with which was accounted for in that price. I opted to vinyl wrap them for $50. Color is slightly off but I can deal with that for a savings of $350.

BSVyOOtl.jpg

I picked up a can at O'Reilly when I saw it but have not tried it on anything. I guess all i can lose is the cost of paint and some time.

Your Jeep would look pretty good with Black doors. Just rattle can them semi-gloss and put about 8 coats on there. Wet sand a few times in between coats and you'll be surprised at the results. Have fun with doing the job and yes, if you don't like it, you are only out some duckets and a couple days worth your time.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Paint is one of those odd ball markets. Some people pay the extra money to guarantee that it's done right the first time with a factory finish. (Factory finish seems to be orange peel these days)

It's a false sense of security. Sometimes you end up with impeccable results. Sometimes they guy keeps your money and places your car on the back burner.

Macco would charge you roughly $300 if you did the prep work. They probably wouldn't match the paint very well.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I had one half door repainted by Maaco a few years ago after I couldn't get the rattle can to get right (Stone White, the rattle can clearcoats yellow a bit and really show with white). I already had all hardware stripped and didn't need any filler as it only had on little ding that I did not care about. Essentially it was a re-spray or spray over, cost about $65. It matched perfectly with no orange peel and has held up over the years.

I want to get mine painted too. $600 seems a bit ridiculous considering I paid $300 for the doors. They're bed lined black which isn't terrible. Good for trail doors.

I've had them for 3 years and always looking for silver. Still haven't found a set for a decent price.

Paint is one of those odd ball markets. Some people pay the extra money to guarantee that it's done right the first time with a factory finish. (Factory finish seems to be orange peel these days)

It's a false sense of security. Sometimes you end up with impeccable results. Sometimes they guy keeps your money and places your car on the back burner.

Macco would charge you roughly $300 if you did the prep work. They probably wouldn't match the paint very well.
Very true. It’s like some other trades, such as tile work. Ranges from 2 bucks a foot to 50 and more , depending on the complexity and the material, the layout , the job size and more....plus what the guy thinks he’s worth.

Reactions: ejay
I just painted my half doors ... and a few other things while I was at it. My guess is that their share of the total job will be about $30 - $40. 🤣

20-11-14 1.JPG

Reactions: Apparition
I think paid 600 or 700 for mine. Also had the hood re-painted and few other areas touched up. Everything was done to perfection so I was pretty happy

PXL_20201025_223838102.jpg

Reactions: Jamison C
I stripped my half doors prior to taking them for an estimate. Maaco gave me a $400 price, but I read they can do a poor job. I went to a local shop with great reviews, and the job done on them was amazing for $700.00. The doors were in great condition except for about 5 small dents between them.

Found these half doors 3 hours away for $350. Really want them but I'm deciding whether its worth it considering they are green and my jeep is silver. I'd rather not pay $1000 to get matching half doors.
I picked up a can at O'Reilly when I saw it but have not tried it on anything. I guess all i can lose is the cost of paint and some time.
Did you end up rattle canning them?

Good paint and clear can be expensive. I paid $170 for pearl green and clear when I painted my fenders.
The labor was on me. Best thing would be strip them of hardware and either sand and prep yourself or have them sand blasted.