How necessary is differential case spreader?

DetroitTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm rebuilding a 1999 TJ. This weekend I plan to rebuild the Dana 30 and regear with and ELocker. I have read and seen videos using a case spreader. I have called around and I cannot find a shop that will rent one. How necessary is a case spreader for this job?

Appreciate the advice.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge like Mr. Blaine will chime in here.
I think it is necessary to do a regear correctly. With some lockers like the ARB if you do not have the proper case preload it can cause issues. I am not familiar with the ELocker so I can't say if it is a required part of the install.

Back in the 80's I needed to remove the rear diff. from the Dana 80 in the back of an OT Ford pickup. I read the manual and saw how you were suppose to use a case spreader. So I built one. After the job I was telling a Ford mechanic I knew about building this spreader, he started laughing. The ford dealer he worked for had no such tool and all the mechanics just popped them out with a pair of pry bars. I think they are recommended for a good reason, but it is clear they are not always used.

B

Reactions: Wildman
It's not usually needed. I've had Dana 30/Dana 35/Dana 44 diffs out multiple times and never used a case spreader. It's recommended that ARB lockers be installed using a case spreader due to them needing more preload than is usual but normally it's an unneeded item.

An easy way to get the diff out is to place a box-end wrench onto one of the ring gear bolts and then rotate the carrier via the pinion yoke with a big screwdriver to rotate the carrier in the direction so the wrench can lever the carrier out. This would be in the direction that would tighten the bolt.

Last edited:
I've never used one. Be a lot easier, but I dont do enough of them to warrant making/buying one. Fun fact, Sterling axles don't have provisions for one, and use one piece shims, you can get in .003 increments. They are thick, like .4 inch.

I haven't built as many as @Rob5589, but I don't think anybody has, but I have never used one either.

I installed ARBs front and rear, and had my Jeep ARB's for over 10 years, and never had to fix anything on them. I didn't play nice with them either.

I haven't built as many as @Rob5589, but I don't think anybody has, but I have never used one either.

I installed ARBs front and rear, and had my Jeep ARB's for over 10 years, and never had to fix anything on them. I didn't play nice with them either.
Heck, Randy, who taught me, surely has built 5 times what I have done. He was in it for a looong time.

Heck, Randy, who taught me, surely has built 5 times what I have done. He was in it for a looong time.
Are you referring to Randy as in Randy's ring and pinion? If so, you are as closest to anybody I know (well sort of) that has worked with a GOD haha.

Another solution I have used more than once. Pry bar with a ratchet strap to the rear frame on a really stubborn carrier so you can maintain tension hands free, then tap outside of the housing with a dead blow hammer and it pops right out.

20190401_141703.jpg