How NOT to check bumpstops

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Coming out of the woods this weekend with the wife driving. 2nd gear, 3,000 rpm down hill. 4,250 lbs gvw, a full off road back country load-out. 31x10.50 tires at 28 psi.

There was a ledge in the road, maybe 10-12"? I saw it, the wife saw it and cruised right over it. Got fully into the front bump stops with no rubbing. The rear hit it, again, fully into the bump stops with no rubbing. The TJ launched probably six inches into to air with all four off the ground on rebound. Landed with aplomb, no rubbing. The bump stops are set correctly, it seems.

The wife laughed hard for probably ten minutes afterwards.

I need to check underneath to see if anything got bent or broken. If so, she's buying me axles!

Oh, and she spent all day Sunday driving over rocks. Lots of rock had fallen off the cliffs where we were at. Easy to drive around, lots of room. But no, my sweetheart drove OVER them. Used proper technique, but still. Going out of your way to drive OVER a rock in the road!? I've created a monster.

Edited to add: Savvy rocker guards are looking better all the time.

Last edited:
I've done that before on FSR's with erosion control whoopties. That's how I found out my rear TB hits the gas tank skid.
Those erosion control whoopties can be killer. Sometimes the person putting them in gets a little, shall we say, enthusiastic? You sure find out if you have clearance issues in a hurry.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Oh, and she spent all day Sunday driving over rocks. Lots of rock had fallen off the cliffs where we were at. Easy to drive around, lots of room. But no, my sweetheart drove OVER them. Used proper technique, but still. Going out of your way to drive OVER a rock in the road!? I've created a monster.

Edited to add: Savvy rocker guards are looking better all the time.
MONSTER? Hell, it sounds like you have a team mate to me. Shopping sprees now include a walk down the aisle of your faverotie parts store. OH, how romantic. You are a lucky man.

MONSTER? Hell, it sounds like you have a team mate to me. Shopping sprees now include a walk down the aisle of your faverotie parts store. OH, how romantic. You are a lucky man.
Same woman who wandered into the house a couple of weeks ago with a big Cabelas box under her arm. Unpacked it and asked "Can you reload for this?". Yup, a pristine Winchester Timber Carbine in .444. All I did was wink and say "Sure I can.".

She's a keeper.

Same woman who wandered into the house a couple of weeks ago with a big Cabelas box under her arm. Unpacked it and asked "Can you reload for this?". Yup, a pristine Winchester Timber Carbine in .444. All I did was wink and say "Sure I can.".

She's a keeper.
Hell yes she is! My wife had never held a gun until we met. Now has bought three (thinks the AR and M1 are gifts from the Gods) and she wanted the Jeep. Cringes every time I say I need to spend money on it, but she is in the garage with me wanting to understand what I am doing and turning a wrench. To be honest, I feel like I have won the lottery with this one. She is a lot more fun than my training spouse!
FWIW---Dad always said never marry a woman that can out shoot you. Wise words....once again, I didn't listen.

Hell yes she is! My wife had never held a gun until we met. Now has bought three (thinks the AR and M1 are gifts from the Gods) and she wanted the Jeep. Cringes every time I say I need to spend money on it, but she is in the garage with me wanting to understand what I am doing and turning a wrench. To be honest, I feel like I have won the lottery with this one. She is a lot more fun than my training spouse!
FWIW---Dad always said never marry a woman that can out shoot you. Wise words....once again, I didn't listen.
Aren't they? Those are nice rifles to own.

My wife and both my daughter's can out shoot me. I try to not piss them off too much. All three wheel too. One Land Rover, one Toyota and a JKU. Life's good in the Pacific North West.

@StG58 and @Ericict shoot boys! Sounds like I need to recruit you both to find me a spouse! Never thought I'd turn to the TJ forum for my dating website of choice, ha ha.

Reactions: StG58
@StG58 and @Ericict shoot boys! Sounds like I need to recruit you both to find me a spouse! Never thought I'd turn to the TJ forum for my dating website of choice, ha ha.
It's all about the pre-filter. 🤣 Hang out at the local co-op or in the outdoor section of the local general store. Don't ask stupid questions, and talk about the weather to most everyone. Nature will take care of the rest.

• Haha
Reactions: Ericict
Ha ha, that's some of the most simple, watered-down dating advice I've ever heard. I spend my fair share of time at my local REI store in hopes of finding a counter part. But then I realize most of the girls that hang around there are into not showering, not shaving their arms pits, and like guys that wear skinny jeans that can't even drive a tent stake into the ground. Ha.

Ha ha, that's some of the most simple, watered-down dating advice I've ever heard. I spend my fair share of time at my local REI store in hopes of finding a counter part. But then I realize most of the girls that hang around there are into not showering, not shaving their arms pits, and like guys that wear skinny jeans that can't even drive a tent stake into the ground. Ha.

Better than what we have, here; REI is a fashion and accessory destination.

Dating advice: know yourself, and don't compromise. It's really that simple, and finding a great companion with whom you can share endless amounts of quality time is not that hard. Sometime, if you're interested, I'll share a funny story about how I found all that out. In the meantime: wife picture (also: gas tank).

IMG_20160409_150437135.jpg

See? Not that difficult. Even I can manage to find a great one.

They are out there. I have to be honest, we met on match. Laid it out there and let it be known no drama, no bs, looking for great time to last no longer than death. Showed only pics of me fishing and camping in the mountains. Boom; there she was and that was 7 years ago. I am truly blessed. We share an office and are together all day, everyday, unless one of us are visiting clients. FYI...I took my wife to REI in Denver (main store) and she loves REI, but only that store. Hates the rest of them.

They are out there. I have to be honest, we met on match. Laid it out there and let it be known no drama, no bs, looking for great time to last no longer than death. Showed only pics of me fishing and camping in the mountains. Boom; there she was and that was 7 years ago. I am truly blessed. We share an office and are together all day, everyday, unless one of us are visiting clients. FYI...I took my wife to REI in Denver (main store) and she loves REI, but only that store. Hates the rest of them.

Never been to the Denver store...or Denver! I'm envious of your office-sharing.

Never been to the Denver store...or Denver! I'm envious of your office-sharing.
Sundowner, you need to put both places on your list. We stop in Denver on our way to ski. Go in December, 16 street mall is very pretty and they have a German Christmas market that is fun to visit.

I use to live in Denver and the REI there spoiled me. I stop in every time I'm out that way now, mostly just for memory sake because at that point I already have all the supplies I need because it means I'm already on my way to camp or the mountains for the snow. @Ericict we need to plan a meet up, I didn't realize you were just down in Wichita. Maybe meet up on a weekend down at KS Rocks or something?

I use to live in Denver and the REI there spoiled me. I stop in every time I'm out that way now, mostly just for memory sake because at that point I already have all the supplies I need because it means I'm already on my way to camp or the mountains for the snow. @Ericict we need to plan a meet up, I didn't realize you were just down in Wichita. Maybe meet up on a weekend down at KS Rocks or something?
That works for me! We get up to KC a couple of times a year to hang out at the Plaza or the P&L district. Great blues and jazz there.

Reactions: TreverStevens
Better than what we have, here; REI is a fashion and accessory destination.

Dating advice: know yourself, and don't compromise. It's really that simple, and finding a great companion with whom you can share endless amounts of quality time is not that hard. Sometime, if you're interested, I'll share a funny story about how I found all that out. In the meantime: wife picture (also: gas tank).

View attachment 101094

See? Not that difficult. Even I can manage to find a great one.
Ok, Ill ask...lets hear the story.