How NOT to get ripped off using Paypal

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
NEVER buy anything using Friends & Family!

I recently purchased two Jeep doors. And at the sellers request used Friends & Family. Instead of Goods & Services. When they got to me they were trashed. And not anywhere near described. The seller had described them as only needing a good waxing. Not only are they bashed in around the window opening. But they are rusted, pitted and painted a different color on one side.

I called Paypal today to start a dispute. Only to be told that I have no recourse. As it was a payment using Friends & Family. Had I used Goods & Services I could have disputed the transaction. But because I used Friends & Family I now don't have that option.

So word to the wise. If you buy anything using Paypal. Use Goods & Services ONLY. And pay the extra fees. Otherwise your stuck with whatever you get. And have no recourse to dispute the transaction.

You can use friends and family, but only if you know the person you're sending it to. For instance, I regularly do business with select individuals, and I have no problem sending them money via friends and family, only because I know them well enough to know they'd never screw me over.

But yes, if you don't know them and have never done business with them, never use friends and family.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. If the guy is a Jeep owner, you should post his info up here publicly on the forum so that whenever someone does a search for his name, his info (including address) will come up. Often times that's enough to get someone to give you your money back, trust me.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
All I have is his name and email. Where should I post it? I have his phone number too. But not feeling to comfortable posting it.

He's a Jeep owner. But I don't think he's on this forum. He owns a junkyard in TN.

Post his name, email, and business name including his phone number (why would you not? He ripped you off) in a new thread.

Title it something like “Beware of ______”.