How often do you guys err on the side of practicality versus performance?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
One of the things I'm always taking into consideration when doing upgrades to my Wrangler is practicality versus performance. You might be wondering what I mean by this, so let me explain...

Let's say for instance you have a Wrangler that you both drive semi-daily and wheel on occasion (this is my situation at least). It's not my only vehicle (we also have a Honda CR-V for the kids) but we do drive it every few days around town. When I am in the process of upgrading things (i.e. axle and drivetrain components) I realize there are a lot of options.

Sure, I could blow a ton of money and upgrade to Dana 60 axles, aftermarket hubs, etc.. The thing is that when you start getting to crazy with the upgrades you cross the point of practicality. What I mean by that is that let's say I upgrade my steering to the Currie Currectlync. I'm on the trail and somehow I managed to break a tie rod end. Well, being as though the Currectlync doesn't use stock tie rod ends I'm pretty much screwed unless someone on the trail happens to have a spare Currie tie rod end (highly unlikely I would think).

Now, had I been running the stock steering setup and needed a replacement tie rod I probably would be much better off since people might usually carry spares, or I could even find one EASILY at any auto part store if I was desperate.

The same situation applies to things such as upgrading unit bearings to 30 splines as well as so many other parts.

Now don't get me wrong, I do have a Currie Currectlync (and I carry spare tie rod ends from Currie) as well as a host of other upgrades. So, in no way am I writing this post with the intention of trying to steer people clear of modifications such as this. I am merely writing this because I am curious to know how you guys with more upgrades (such as myself) fair out on the trails when (and if) you break something? If you're like me you probably carry spares for all your special parts. However, I'm curious to know if you've ever encountered one of those situations where you didn't have a spare, and the part that broke was something that no one else would have possibly been carrying a spare for?

How often do you err on the side or practicality versus performance?

In a DD there is no performance advantage to D60s. They weigh a ton and compromise all the performance parameters of a DD. Smooth ride being a big one. Gas mileage and the ability to park it two more.

Performance is always geared towards the end use. There is no one route to building an ultimate performing Wrangler. Performance also always involves compromise in one area to get the ultimate performance in another. We are starting with an ancient platform.... That alone is a huge compromise.

Wow, I'll say so!

The other issue is that each time we upgrade a part we just move the weak link somewhere else.

I have a philosophy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand, when something does break I tend to overcompensate. In other words when the TJ doesn't do what I need it to and an upgrade is involved, or if something actually breaks the replacement parts are the best / most capable that I can afford. That seems to save me time and money in the long run.

You're right Chris, doing a half way job up upgrading usually leads to catastrophic parts failure at an inopportune time. Research it, plan it, do it right once, and move on.

I think it's highly specific to each person. What is practical or even "high performance" for me may not even begin to scratch the surface of someone wheelin in JV. Best personal example I can come up with is - I will most likely purchase some savvy rock sliders in the relatively near future. But I will probably never purchase corner armor. Why? Because the trails I wheel on and my skill level as a driver offroad don't really call for it (at least for the time being) and the money can be better spent elsewhere.

With that said, it also depends upon what I'm buying whether I go more practical or more high end. Armor for example: I'd rather only drill into my jeep once, and if I need the armor, I want to know the whole weight of my jeep can crash into a tree, stump, rock, etc. and be fine. Hence, I'll be getting savvy sliders and modifying them to mate up to my MC fenders that are coming in soon:D (I'm choosing savvy over MC because I like the cleaner look of the savvy sliders more. For the record, I'd trust both to protect my jeep).

On the other hand, my current rear axle is the Turdy5 (Dana 35 for the uninitiated) and I'm currently sitting on 33" MTR's. I need to regear and want to lock at least one axle within the next year. It sure would be nice to buy a ProRock44 with chromo shafts and ARB air locker already installed. But for my current needs, situation, and skills (welding, fab, etc.) a Super35 with a case locker (maybe ARB or eaton e-locker) will suffice for now and is on "the list" right below or above the sliders (depends upon what day you ask me:p). The super35 is more practical for me while still giving me a relatively high end final product that I can rely on.

My opinion can really be summed up into this: Whatever level of performance I'm attempting to gain, I tend to shoot for the higher end of that level. I don't want to just scrape by and call it good enough, but I don't want to break the bank and end up with a Juggy on Dana 60 and 14 bolt when all I needed was a well mannered weekend warrior rig...for now at least:cool:

Reactions: StG58
I have spent the last couple of years building, having built, and generally spending a ton of money on my TJ. I like to think that I've done my research and that I have spent my money wisely (if the word "wise" can be used in conjunction with building a Jeep). I have gone top end on everything, and yet I have yet to even think of my Jeep as being done. Right now I have a fully built trail Jeep, I've swapped out the OEM Dana 30 and 35 with Dana 44s out of a 2006 Rubicon, I've replaced the OEM lockers, and gearing using Yukon Zip Lockers, Yukon Gears (4.88), and chromoly axles. I use high end components with the expectation of good service.

I maintain my Jeep better than my DD. I have a very capable trail Jeep, all that to say that I am far from being done. I am even rethinking my entire build. I might...(big might) do a LS 6.2 (possibly 5.3) engine swap, add an Atlas Transfer Case, swap out my built Dana 44s with Rock Jock 60s and 5.13s running 37" tires, and do a stretch.

So when you ask about being practical, I have to chuckle, because I have not done a single thing on my Jeep that I would deem practical. The Jeep in and of itself is as impractical of a production vehicle you can get...IMHO.

In a DD there is no performance advantage to D60s. They weigh a ton and compromise all the performance parameters of a DD. Smooth ride being a big one. Gas mileage and the ability to park it two more.

Performance is always geared towards the end use. There is no one route to building an ultimate performing Wrangler. Performance also always involves compromise in one area to get the ultimate performance in another. We are starting with an ancient platform.... That alone is a huge compromise.
I'm a bit confused. What about D-60's compromise ride quality, gas mileage, and the ability to park the rig?

I have several friends with those axles under TJ's and if you weren't told they were under the rig, there is nothing about driving, parking, or paying for fuel that would even begin to tip you off so I'm missing something, what is it?

I'm also running a D-60 in the back of my trail rig that has an empty housing that only weighs at most 10-15 pounds more than a stock TJ Dana 44 empty housing.

Reactions: Stinger and Chris
All of my TJ upgrades are cosmetic. Nothing performance. The performance mods are all about my 5.9 Grand.

Reactions: Chris
I have to admit that when purchasing 'upgraded' parts I often take into consideration how likely it would be to find someone else carrying a spare on the trail, or how easy it would be to find a replacement locally.

Over the years of off-roading my first upgrades or mods to a new rig have become more on the safety side, roll cage, better seats, harnesses and so on. After I have the rig as safe as possible I start with the performance and reliability stuff because it can go bad quick even when being careful!
Jason

Reactions: PStov98TJ and Chris
Over the years of off-roading my first upgrades or mods to a new rig have become more on the safety side, roll cage, better seats, harnesses and so on. After I have the rig as safe as possible I start with the performance and reliability stuff because it can go bad quick even when being careful!
Jason
This is a good point and a great example that there are areas where compromise is NOT an option. Things like safety equipment and armor should not be thought of as "Well I could go with the cheap version". Wrong. The only "compromise" I would make in these categories is to what extent do you really need them. For example, you may need rock sliders to protect your jeep from trees, stumps, and rocks, but corner armor may be excessive for your situation. So in that situation, don't buy corner armor it's needless weight and money that could be spent elsewhere. But when you buy the sliders, compromising on quality is unacceptable in my opinion.

agreed... if you NEED it... buy the best. Only compromise if you want to "look" tough.

Someone really should make a winch without the motor... with a bigger drum so you can sell it with just one wrap. Offer it thru WalMart.... should sell like gangbusters.

For my TJ, I don't buy or install stuff I don't need and I don't go replacing crap unless it's broken or worn out and I usually upgrade to a better part when I do. I keep the drivetrain and suspension/steering as "stock" as I can for ease of acquiring parts and less down time.

I build my jeeps to tackle the terrain I encounter which are mud and forest trails. Lockers, mud terrains, winch, and extraction tools are pretty much all I need (xj is built this way, TJ is in progress). If you look at my jeep you'll see a whole lot of bareness. It has no back seat, no carpet, no center console, no AC, no bar padding, no special lights/bumpers/armor, scratches all over, full soft doors and soft top, and some rust here and there but it goes where I point it and gets me home every single time. It's also super light and gets 19 mpg. What more do I need?

I have a 01 XJ that the lady drives and it's pretty bare as well except for the sliders to protect against logs, custom snorkel for mud pits, and floating winch for extractions. The body is still stock with factory front and rear bumpers. However it does have a long arm kit mainly to achieve a nice on road ride for the woman. Something about her boobs bouncing all over the place is annoying...I dunno. If I had to do it again and she did not drive it much then I would not install a long arm kit.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I have done a lot of stuff to Stinger. Some of it was pure cosmetic-paint, some was of necessity-brakes, and some was because I could. L96.
I do have one rule of thumb: If it was stock and it broke, stock will not go back on if there is a better product with which to replace it.

Interesting conversation. I have done a number of mods to my 2006 but none have been performance. I save performance for my 98 5.9. The mods I have done to the TJ are more for practical creature comfort and personalization. When I bought it it already had a winch, snorkel and 31" tires.

Neoprene seat covers.
Roof rack.
HID projector head lights.
HID roof lights.
52" light bar.
Halogen back up lights.
Side steps.
Hood locks.
Hood vents.
New radio and speakers.
UltraGauge.
Locking gas cap cover.
Bumper ends.
6" fender extensions.
1 1/2" wheel spacers.
Digital oil pressure gauge.
Clear park and turn lenses.

Last edited:
<snip>
The Jeep in and of itself is as impractical of a production vehicle you can get...IMHO.

On the other hand, my TJ is eminently practical for what I do and use it for. I haven't found a substitute for it that goes the same places, does the same things and is as easily or cheaply repaired. Will it replace the Suburban? Nope, not a chance. The TJ is a specialized tool for a certain set of circumstances. The bonus is the folks that use their TJ's as toys provide a huge number of opportunities to upgrade and improve on the basic transportation product as supplied by MOPAR. The toy builders are footing the cost of all the time and money invested in R&D on the products that make the TJ more TJ like in that certain set of circumstances. I get to read about what works and what doesn't, what is an improvement and what is a fail. That costs me nothing. When I do scrape the pennies together to improve the rig, I can do so with some assurance that the money is gaining me something useful. I can more assuredly assume that the ROI is there and the money isn't wasted.

Reactions: Pops