How often do you lube your TJ and what do you use?

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
I find myself lubricating my TJ u-joints and control arm joints with WD40 every 500 miles. I feel it's sounds quieter and runs smoother? Who else waste their time lubricating and what do you uses? I kind of stay away from oil since I don't want oil stains residue around these areas. Since run alot a trail runs and don't want dirt and grease build up on my joints and control arm fittings.
Also should I consider other area to lubricate such as the water pump, power steering pulleys, shifting linkages and serpentine belt pulley?
Tell me your routine and what you uses?

Last edited:
What? No.

If it has a grease zerk it gets CV2. If it doesn't, noise means it's worn out.

Wd40 is a terrible lubricant. It's meant to displace water, and that's about all it's good for. There are a few specific things it can act as a solvent for.

What? No.

If it has a grease zerk it gets CV2. If it doesn't, noise means it's worn out.

Wd40 is a terrible lubricant. It's meant to displace water, and that's about all it's good for. There are a few specific things it can act as a solvent for.

All my u joints are sealed and no zerk fittings. Honestly the noise is considered normal but a little " wd40 cleaning" the area and it runs a little smoother. I know it displaces water and I guess it's more like a cleaning then a lubricating.
So you're saying only spray water to clean ujoints and grease zerk fittings if you have them? Leave them alone otherwise?

I guess it's more like a cleaning then a lubricating
It's an expensive way to clean things. As far as u-joints if it quiets them down then I'd be inspecting them and maybe putting some real grease in there. Ya, you have to pull them. For the control arms I can't say it's a bad idea considering what you have.

I find myself lubricating my TJ u-joints and control arm joints with WD40 every 500 miles. I feel it's sounds quieter and runs smoother? Who else waste their time lubricating and what do you uses? I kind of stay away from oil since I don't want oil stains residue around these areas. Since run alot a trail runs and don't want dirt and grease build up on my joints and control arm fittings.
Also should I consider other area to lubricate such as the water pump, power steering pulleys, shifting linkages and serpentine belt pulley?
Every oil change I lube her up here in the southwest desert

Reactions: HardSell
I lube all front end zerk fittings every 6 months, and have been using Lucas Red 'N' Tacky. I think I saw it recommended here somewhere, so I went with it.

Anyone got a rough grease point diagram, I haven't greased anything in over a year I have had it and not sure where they are.

If your gonna put anything on the rubber bushings at least use a 100% silicone type spray. WD damages many plastics and will ruin rubber eventually as its petro based.

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a water deterrent (WD). If you would be using a WD product (lithium grease, or similar might provide minimal lubricant) but there are many better options to truly lube your vehicle with.

If you play in the wet you should hit every grease zerk AFTER every run. Greaseable ujoints should be greased every 3500 miles if you are not greasing after every run. I ran Lucas Red and Tacky for years but have recently switched to Redline CV2.

As others mentioned WD40 is mostly a solvent, not a lubricant. It's useful for freeing up stuck parts because it displaces water, and oils. It's also thinner than most oils, so it can get into tighter spaces, but it also evaporates out of them. To understand better, spray a bit of WD40 on your driveway, then spray a similar amount of silicone oil next to it. After a few days, only one spot will still be there.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low