How often to you use the forward assist on your AR-15?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
http://www.gunsandammo.com/tactical/ga-perspectives-need-ar-15-forward-assist/

I was reading this article today and it got me thinking. How often have you guys used the forward assist on your AR-15 rifle?

I've never had to use it on my piston driven AR-10. When I was in the Army my M16 jammed up on me numerous times (which we would then have to follow up with the whole SPORTS drill, which involved tapping the forward assist), but even then the forward assist didn't do any good.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/tactical/ga-perspectives-need-ar-15-forward-assist/

I was reading this article today and it got me thinking. How often have you guys used the forward assist on your AR-15 rifle?

I've never had to use it on my piston driven AR-10. When I was in the Army my M16 jammed up on me numerous times (which we would then have to follow up with the whole SPORTS drill, which involved tapping the forward assist), but even then the forward assist didn't do any good.

Sir, I think that you just answered your own question! Our AR's aren't going to be in the dust and grime that ya'll in the Army would put it through. Also, I think you would keep your personal AR as clean as a whistle, 24/7. So you don't need to worry about this. :p

Very true! My AR is also piston driven instead of gas impingement.

The gas impingement M16 and M4 that the Army uses is a horribly dirty weapon. I can't even begin to tell you how dirty my rifle was, all the damn time! Fire one magazine through it and it needed a thorough cleaning it seemed like!

My piston driven AR-10 on the other hand, is almost spot free even after a full day of shooting it.

My M16 didn't have the forward assist. I am that old. ;)

Oh yeah... Being in Vietnam you basically would have been an original M16 test subject.

Then they added the forward assist with the M16A1. A lot of guys said that they only added it to give soldiers a "sense of improvement" to make them feel like the weapon had been improved and all the kinks had been worked out.

I'll bet your M16 jammed up on you a lot!

Thank you for your service Jerry.
I have yet to use the forward assist. It came on the receiver I wanted. I didn't pick the receiver because it had one. Clean your firearm and shoot clean ammo and it's not likely to be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris