How reliable are 4th Generation Grand Cherokees?

ballpark

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My wife is considering a 4th Generation WK2. In particular a 2014 Overland. 113K
She picked out a Grand Cherokee after test driving a Highlander, Cherokee, Explorer and a Acadia. In full disclosure, she test drove a 2011 with Hemi. This overland has the 3.6.

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/d/portage-2014-jeep-grand-cherokee/7110132708.html
In general, do 4th Gen WK2's make it to 200K?

I am good with cars, I can find sounds, rust, loose suspension, but is there anything specific to this generation I should ask about or inspect?
Yes, I realize its a bit overpriced. The owner seems to take really good care of his cars, and to me, that is worth something in addition to negotiating.. :)

Thank you

My wife is considering a 4th Generation WK2. In particular a 2014 Overland. 113K
She picked out a Grand Cherokee after test driving a Highlander, Cherokee, Explorer and a Acadia. In full disclosure, she test drove a 2011 with Hemi. This overland has the 3.6.

Craigslist ad

In general, do 4th Gen WK2's make it to 200K?

I am good with cars, I can find sounds, rust, loose suspension, but is there anything specific to this generation I should ask about or inspect?
Yes, I realize its a bit overpriced. The owner seems to take really good care of his cars, and to me, that is worth something in addition to negotiating.. :)

Thank you
I’d look for 2015 or newer the earlier ones had a lot of transition problems. My wife has a 2019 grand Cherokee trail hawk we love it

We have had GCs a '98 and an '04. Both were wonderful until the electric gremlins started to appear and the only cure from Chrysler Jeep was to replace the entire wiring harness. Without that electrical issue...... which might be fixed by now.... we would still have one.

We bought a 2014 GC Limited new off the lot. It now has 65k on it and I have replaced the tires and wheel with SRT factory 20's and Michelin tires because the tires were due, and the wheels were free. We have done 6 oil changes 8-10k intervals with 7 quart capacity), 1 air filter, 1 cabin filter and that's all aside from a rack and pinion (small leak found by the dealer during service) and an HVAC actuator for the blend door both replaced under warranty.

I will add I hate the gear shifter on the 2014, its a bad design, but probably not a deal breaker. The touch screen looks dated compared to my 2019 Ram, but I have the giant iPad dash and HD cameras. Super comfy highway cruiser, great in bad weather, fuel economy could be better avg 25mpg +/- with the 3.6. She wants a new one now, and we are waiting for the updated model to decide. We got quoted 14k trade in recently, lol. Will sell private when it comes time.

Do they have the 3.6 in them? If so, that is a wonderful engine. Plenty of power for sure.

It's got it's own little issues (minor ones) and isn't as easy as a 4.0 to wrench on by any means, but it's a very nice engine in terms of performance and power.

Reactions: ballpark
Do they have the 3.6 in them? If so, that is a wonderful engine. Plenty of power for sure.

It's got it's own little issues (minor ones) and isn't as easy as a 4.0 to wrench on by any means, but it's a very nice engine in terms of performance and power.
Yeah mine has the 3.6 I test drove it and the hemi and I actually preferred the 3.6 feels like it’s has more torque to me.

I leased a 2015 GC. 40k miles in 3 years without any issues. My dad currently has a 2017 ecodiesel GC with 50k. The only issue was a check engine light due to the ecodiesel, fixed with software under warranty, and a small rattle in the headliner around the panoramic roof. Which was also fixed under warranty.

The 3.6 is a great engine. It's very peppy and I enjoyed driving that suv. Great in the snow also.

We have a 15 Cherokee (not a GC). My wife bought it two years ago now IIRC. Its been a great vehicle. It had 32k miles on it and its pushing 75k now (she dailys about 80 miles a day). We did have a check engine light come on for the "Active Grill Shutter". I believe it is on the smaller 2.4 engine only. They didnt fail, but my wife rear ended someone and they popped out of place. They operate engine temps at speed from my research. She has heated seats, and heated steering wheel all work perfectly and warm up insanely fast. The nav feature is a bit wonky, it will show us in the right place, but once you start moving it loses the vehicle and shows you driving in a very large circle. I believe a software update will fix it. Its roomy inside and has plenty of storage space too in the rear and under the passenger seat.

I know someone with an overland model and 3.6 engine, nice lux leather interior, 4x4 and great gas mileage I've been told. I haven't heard anything bad about them honestly.

Wife drives a 2012 wk2 overland edition.

Awesome vehicle. I would reccomend it.

174k miles.. trans and engine are stout.

Issues I have had.... put in a new alternator once, tpim was replaced, ac is currently out due to a leak, lane change and rear camera systems are out.