How reliable is a 65th Anniversary Edition TJ with a 6-speed manual?

Yovani

Can someone tell me how reliable the 2005 65th Anniversary Tj is with the 6 speed manual, I'm looking at one with 75k miles for 13k. Also I'm not sure if it is really the 65th Anniversary Edition.

Reactions: Gregg1LE
Here's a pic

01111_jFk6LmB9vvw_1200x900.jpg

Screenshot_20181024-231718_Samsung Internet.jpg

Without more photos, and a more comprehensive description of the condition (any rust, frame condition, interior/exterior condition), equipment list (Dana 44 rear axle?), etc., there's really no way for anyone to say whether that is a good price or not based on two not very close photos....

Looks to be in good condition, though. Did you drive it?

Looks to be in great condition, but don't see any photos of the frame. If that is truly rust-free, it has a Dana 44 rear axle, and everything works as it should, that's not a bad price. You could start by offering less and see what they say.

The 'Anniversary Edition' is just cosmetic stuff, that doesn't really add all that much value, unless it includes the previously mentioned Dana 44 rear.

What do you think about the 6 speed manual transmission, how reliable is it?

Thx in advance for your help
I've had three different Jeeps with that 6-speed transmission. They all were fine. Some like the 5-speed better, some don't. The ones I had worked ok, a bit noisy, but never gave me any issues. I believe Jeep used the same 6-speed manual transmission into the 2011 or so JKs, or somewhere around there.

Reactions: skrelnik
If it is a Jeep that has been in North Central Texas all of its life then rust should not be an issue.

I like the 6 speed in my TJ but it can be a little fussy and clunky when cold.

Last edited:
I think it's a little pricey, but one thing I've learned about the TJ's, if you want it, buy it! I like my 6-speed tranny and haven't had or heard of any issues with it. You'll hear some grumbling regarding the OPDA but it only effected the ones built from Oct 05 to Feb 06, mine was built in Jan 05 and no issues. It's a $100 fix anyway. Run the VIN number and see how it went out the door at the Jeep factory, that will tell you if it's an anniversary edition. Buy it as low as you can and go Jeepin, that is of you can find some hills in Tejas!

I have a 2005 LJ with the 6 speed tranny and it has been great for me. I would recommend using Red Line tranny oil as it makes a world of difference.

Here are the details on the 65th anniversary trim package. Make sure the Jeep has it all to confirm it is legit.

65th Anniversary Edition - 2006 only
* 4.0L I-6 engine
* Dana 44 rear axle
* High pressure gas charged shocks
* Body colored fender flares
* Specially embroidered floor mats with Jeep 65th anniv. logo
* 65th anniv. decal
* Unique center stack bezel
* Unique two tone seats with Jeep 65th anniv. logo
* Full Metal Doors
* Sunrider soft top
* 15" Alcoa wheels with 30.5" x 9.5" Goodyear tires
* Fog Lights
* AM/FM stereo radio with CD player and seven speakers (includes subwoofer in center console)

I went to the dealers website and this is a 2005 so it cannot be the 65th anniversary. It looks like a Rocky Mountain Edition, especially with the badge on the passenger side.

Rocky Mountain Edition - 2003-2005
* 4.0L I-6 engine
* Dana 44 rear axle
* 30" Goodyear GS/A Tires on forged aluminum Alcoa wheels
* Ravine wheels used on 2005 models
* Unique graphite fender flares
* Fog lamps
* Rocky Mountain Edition badging
* Dark Slate Interior
* Unique two-tone seats with Jeep embroidery
* Silver painted instrument panel accents
* Available in Black, Bright Silver, Flame Red, Solar Yellow and Patriot Blue
* Diamond plate rocker guards (similar to Rubicon model)
* Tow hooks

...in which case the fender flares have been repainted - they were originally Chrysler Dark Graphite Metallic. No big deal (I guess), but I would check to see that the color match and quality of the repaint was good/consistent...

Reactions: skrelnik
Anyone else having trouble getting to the build sheet site? It has said it is ben down for maintenance since Monday.

Here is the VIN if anyone knows another way around it: 1J4FA39S85P355763

Judging by the interior seats and the silver Console it is definitely some sort of Edition. But whether it’s a 65th anniversary edition I have no idea. As for adding value to the jeep I would say no. From the pictures it looks like it’s in very good condition. But We have not seen the frame yet though.