How tall do jack stands need to be to cycle suspension?

Powdermonkey

SAPPER
Supporting Member
How tall do the jack stands need to be to cycle the suspension? My frame is 21” off the ground. I really don’t want to stack wood, one for safety and two because I don’t want to store it.

Take the tires off. Pull the coils, etc. Raise the axle a bit and put a tire back on to test full flex. Switch sides and do it again. Put both tires on and raise the axle all the way.

It's a process. Full droop doesn't need the tires on

That makes sense. I wasn’t thinking about removing the opposite tire.
Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I’m only checking tire clearance on the rear highline for body trimming.

Do you know of any towers that accept 2.5” coilovers? Genrights hoops have a cross bar and that won’t work with the supercharger. And while I might modify the rear fender wells I wouldn’t want a cross bar there either.

Do you know of any towers that accept 2.5” coilovers? Genrights hoops have a cross bar and that won’t work with the supercharger. And while I might modify the rear fender wells I wouldn’t want a cross bar there either.

What is your axle width? 2.5" COs are tough to fit.

I would cut the inner rear fenders but don’t want the cross bar that Genrights hoops require. And with a supercharger the bar will not fit on the front. That’s my best guess by looking at pictures.

I’ve been back and forth with coilovers vs just outboarding. I’ve come to the conclusion that if I’m going to relocate the front and rear towers may as well just go with coilovers.

The tallest 6 ton I’ve found only extends to 24”. Lifting the frame 3” doesn’t seem like it would be enough.
You do not need to lift the frame above ride height. We adjust the stands under the front and rear bumpers or frame horns at ride height, strap it down to anchors in the concrete, pull the tires and cycle away.

Those are stands we have extended but the 6 ton versions are tall enough, we just like the smaller footprint of the base when working on the axle doing fab work.

Factory 44s

I don’t even know if I need 2.5” yet. I’m still waiting to hear back from the coilovers dealer.
You won't get much out of a 2.5" coil over with that axle width. The back ones will go all the way through the frame plus another 1.5", maybe more and then you will either have to lean them back so far it will look very odd or you'll be running rims with an effective back spacing of 1.5-2" by the time you get spacers on there to move the tire out.

Even then you're limiting yourself to around 10" of travel or so, maybe a tad more, but not much.
Those pics are from rig running 67" wide WMS to WMS axles with a 2.0 on one of them, 12" of travel, and we still cut through the frame plus 1".

Last edited:
You do not need to lift the frame above ride height. We adjust the stands under the front and rear bumpers or frame horns at ride height, strap it down to anchors in the concrete, pull the tires and cycle away. View attachment 81828View attachment 81829View attachment 81830

Those are stands we have extended but the 6 ton versions are tall enough, we just like the smaller footprint of the base when working on the axle doing fab work.
Understood and thanks for the great pictures.

You won't get much out of a 2.5" coil over with that axle width. The back ones will go all the way through the frame plus another 1.5", maybe more and then you will either have to lean them back so far it will look very odd or you'll running rims with an effective back spacing of 1.5-2" by the time you get spacers on there to move the tire out.

Even then you're limiting yourself to around 10" of travel or so, maybe a tad more, but not much.
Those pics are from rig running 67" wide WMS to WMS axles with a 2.0 on one of them, 12" of travel, and we still cut through the frame plus 1".
Maybe I will ask Chris to call you.

Understood and thanks for the great pictures.
BTW- you can get the front cross brace in there with a super charger. Come off the front side of the hoop, angle forward, go right behind the radiator top tank, and then back to the other hoop. I snagged pic to give you an idea, but those hoops are more forward than normal so the angle is less than yours would be.

hoop brace with SC.PNG

Reactions: Powdermonkey