How to add this forum to your mobile device

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I strongly encourage any of the people on this forum using the Tapatalk app to stop using it and use the forum in a mobile browser as it was intended to be used. Tapatalk is a very poorly designed app that has a history of privacy issues and bugs. In addition, Tapatalk strips a lot of the native features from the forum, so you're missing out, I assure you.

I promise if you try using this forum in a mobile browser, you will not be disappointed at all.

However, if you want a easy way to access this forum that functions very similarly to a native iOS or Android app, use the steps below to add an app like icon to your mobile device's home screen.

Here's how to do it on an iPhone:

1) Click the "Add to Home Screen" button:

2) Now you have the website icon on your desktop, just like an app! It will open the website every time with one click.

You can also do this on Android as well, though I think the steps might be just a little different.

If you have an Android mobile device, you can now receive native "push notifications" from the forum by going to your account preferences, scrolling down, and enabling push notifications.

Please note that push notifications only work currently on Android mobile devices, or desktop computers using any browser other than Safari. Apple currently does not allow this, which is something that will hopefully change in the future.

Last edited:

CodaMan

California Prisoner (for only a while longer)
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2017
California (for now)
Android is as simple. Open the site in Chrome, press the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner of the browser, press "Add to Home screen" and then edit the Home Screen Icon name to anything of your choosing. Done!

Reactions: Pidgy and Rob5589
OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Android is as simple. Open the site in Chrome, press the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner of the browser, press "Add to Home screen" and then edit the Home Screen Icon name to anything of your choosing. Done!
Okay, that's what I figured!

This is a cool feature, since it allows you to go right to that page every single time. Not quite an app, but if the website is good enough on a mobile device, it's not bad at all!

Reactions: Pidgy and CodaMan
OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Interestingly enough guys, I tried to build an app for this forum. Apple and Google rejected it and said that the name "Jeep Wrangler" is trademarked, and unless I get a certified letter from Jeep, saying I'm allowed to use the name, then they won't let me publish an app for it.

I doubt Jeep would give me that permission without paying them something. Either way, that's pretty lame if you ask me! Of anything, forums like this are one of the things that keep people interested in Jeeps!

CodaMan

California Prisoner (for only a while longer)
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2017
California (for now)
Interestingly enough guys, I tried to build an app for this forum. Apple and Google rejected it and said that the name "Jeep Wrangler" is trademarked, and unless I get a certified letter from Jeep, saying I'm allowed to use the name, then they won't let me publish an app for it.

I doubt Jeep would give me that permission without paying them something. Either way, that's pretty lame if you ask me! Of anything, forums like this are one of the things that keep people interested in Jeeps!
You should be able to use just Wrangler and TJ, it's the Jeep that's a problem.

danof76

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2018
San Antonio, TX
What notifications should it push? Replies, mentions and conversations, I assume? My profile and browser are both set to allow notifications here but I still get a message at the bottom everywhere I go on the forum, even when I click to enable them but I have yet to get any notifications whether this forum is on a focused tab or not (or the window as a whole is).

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
What notifications should it push? Replies, mentions and conversations, I assume? My profile and browser are both set to allow notifications here but I still get a message at the bottom everywhere I go on the forum, even when I click to enable them but I have yet to get any notifications whether this forum is on a focused tab or not (or the window as a whole is).
Go to your account preferences page and scroll down, you should see this:

You'll see that there are check boxes next to each type of push notification you want to receive.

Note that mine are greyed out because I am on a Mac using Safari.

Reactions: danof76

danof76

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2018
San Antonio, TX
Go to your account preferences page and scroll down, you should see this:

View attachment 75172

You'll see that there are check boxes next to each type of push notification you want to receive.

Note that mine are greyed out because I am on a Mac using Safari.
Yeah everything is enabled for me but I still don't get notifications and still get the message at the bottom of the screen. It could just be I am using a weird browser, I'll keep a Chrome window open for a bit and see.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Yeah everything is enabled for me but I still don't get notifications and still get the message at the bottom of the screen. It could just be I am using a weird browser, I'll keep a Chrome window open for a bit and see.
That's odd. I need to find a non iOS device to test this on.

Reactions: danof76

danof76

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2018
San Antonio, TX
That's odd. I need to find a non iOS device to test this on.
I was just editing my reply, I went to Firefox and clicked on "enable push notifications" and it worked immediately. I'll just have to troubleshoot my Brave browser because it says everything is good in settings. Don't mind me, sorry for the confusion.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I was just editing my reply, I went to Firefox and clicked on "enable push notifications" and it worked immediately. I'll just have to troubleshoot my Brave browser because it says everything is good in settings. Don't mind me, sorry for the confusion.
I just enabled it in Chrome on my Mac and it works great. When you just quoted me I got a push notification.

I don't have an Android phone to test it on, but I'm assuming it should work just as well on a phone.

That's weird about yours. Let me know if you figure it out, because it's working fine for me in Chrome.

danof76

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2018
San Antonio, TX
I just enabled it in Chrome on my Mac and it works great. When you just quoted me I got a push notification.

I don't have an Android phone to test it on, but I'm assuming it should work just as well on a phone.

That's weird about yours. Let me know if you figure it out, because it's working fine for me in Chrome.
I'm using Windows 10, Brave is just a Chromium-based browser I prefer to use.

Edit: for what it's worth my issue appears to be a known problem with this browser. I didn't realize but apparently notifications don't work for any site on my browser. I have them enabled for only a handful of sites anyhow. Oh well, maybe it'll get fixed. In the mean-time the forum's system seems to work just fine in other browsers on my system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I'm using Windows 10, Brave is just a Chromium-based browser I prefer to use.

Edit: for what it's worth my issue appears to be a known problem with this browser. I didn't realize but apparently notifications don't work for any site on my browser. I have them enabled for only a handful of sites anyhow. Oh well, maybe it'll get fixed. In the mean-time the forum's system seems to work just fine in other browsers on my system.
Ahhh, in that case it's got to be browser related, so that makes sense.

I suspect in the future the developers of that browser will probably bring it up to speed.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I can't read anything on my phone, need to stick to the PC....getting old and I refuse to be glued to my phone like my kids. If I added the app I would probably walk off a pier using it!
I'm with you on that. I almost exclusively use my iMac desktop computer.

I'd ask you if you have any idea how much more enjoyable browsing and shopping online from a desktop computer, but you obviously already know.

Trying to shop online from my phone is twice as complicated. Thank goodness for desktop computers!

Reactions: cliffish
OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
my 17 yo daughter will sit on the couch and watch something on her phone when the 70" TV is right in front of her????
That literally makes no sense. It's like somehow society has trained them to prefer a smaller screen... and everything in portrait mode 🤣