How to add this forum to your mobile device

Nick21

Nov 22, 2018
Washington
@Chris, did this update switch the app over to a PWA? (I dont have my laptop right now, otherwise I could check). Either way I love the new functionality with push notifications

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
@Chris, did this update switch the app over to a PWA? (I dont have my laptop right now, otherwise I could check). Either way I love the new functionality with push notifications
PWA?

Glad you’re liking the new functionality. It continues to get better!

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
A PWA, is a progressive web app. Its pretty cool. Maybe something you would be intrested looking into.
Ohhh, I know what you’re talking about.

It’s not a PWA at the moment, but I’ve been looking into it actually.

In the meantime though, I’m happy it’s a very functional mobile site!

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Man, I hate TapaTalk. I don't understand why so many people like it. It's clunky and not at all user-friendly.

That is all.
You and me both. It’s blows my mind that people actually use it. I chalk it up to maybe they just don’t know any better.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I know I’ve checked, and when I go to “more” it doesn’t give me an option. I’m in chrome do I need to do it in safari?
Ahhh, try it in Safari, as that's what I do it in.

There's probably a way to do it in Chrome (I'm certain there is), I just don't know how. If you do it in Safari though, it should be the same as the screenshots I shared.

Jamison C

TJ Padawan
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2018
Sedona, AZ
Ahhh, try it in Safari, as that's what I do it in.

There's probably a way to do it in Chrome (I'm certain there is), I just don't know how. If you do it in Safari though, it should be the same as the screenshots I shared.
Safari worked, thanks!

Reactions: Chris

Dcook65

Aug 5, 2018
Sharpsburg, GA
I strongly encourage any of the people on this forum using the Tapatalk app to stop using it and use the forum in a mobile browser as it was intended to be used. Tapatalk is a very poorly designed app that has a history of privacy issues and bugs. In addition, Tapatalk strips a lot of the native features from the forum, so you're missing out, I assure you.

I promise if you try using this forum in a mobile browser, you will not be disappointed at all.

However, if you want a easy way to access this forum that functions very similarly to a native iOS or Android app, use the steps below to add an app like icon to your mobile device's home screen.

Here's how to do it on an iPhone:

1) Click the "Add to Home Screen" button:

View attachment 75154

2) Now you have the website icon on your desktop, just like an app! It will open the website every time with one click.

View attachment 75143

You can also do this on Android as well, though I think the steps might be just a little different.

If you have an Android mobile device, you can now receive native "push notifications" from the forum by going to your account preferences, scrolling down, and enabling push notifications.

Please note that push notifications only work currently on Android mobile devices, or desktop computers using any browser other than Safari. Apple currently does not allow this, which is something that will hopefully change in the future.

Dcook65

Aug 5, 2018
Sharpsburg, GA
I strongly encourage any of the people on this forum using the Tapatalk app to stop using it and use the forum in a mobile browser as it was intended to be used. Tapatalk is a very poorly designed app that has a history of privacy issues and bugs. In addition, Tapatalk strips a lot of the native features from the forum, so you're missing out, I assure you.

I promise if you try using this forum in a mobile browser, you will not be disappointed at all.

However, if you want a easy way to access this forum that functions very similarly to a native iOS or Android app, use the steps below to add an app like icon to your mobile device's home screen.

Here's how to do it on an iPhone:

1) Click the "Add to Home Screen" button:

View attachment 75154

2) Now you have the website icon on your desktop, just like an app! It will open the website every time with one click.

View attachment 75143

You can also do this on Android as well, though I think the steps might be just a little different.

If you have an Android mobile device, you can now receive native "push notifications" from the forum by going to your account preferences, scrolling down, and enabling push notifications.

Please note that push notifications only work currently on Android mobile devices, or desktop computers using any browser other than Safari. Apple currently does not allow this, which is something that will hopefully change in the future.
How do you get to the add screen that is shown?

Jon Wildes

TJ Padawan
Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2018
Memphis
Is there no way to get push notifications in safari? Or is it too protective.

Edit: answered my own question

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

DaYooperTransplant

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2018
Lacey Washington
Went through the steps and have it on my iPhone, but is there a way to stay signed in, or do you have to re-sign each time I open it? I checked the “stay signed in” box but it signs me out each time I close it.
Thanks!

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Went through the steps and have it on my iPhone, but is there a way to stay signed in, or do you have to re-sign each time I open it? I checked the “stay signed in” box but it signs me out each time I close it.
Thanks!
This isn't normal behavior. I used Safari on my iPhone as well, and it keeps me signed in every single time. In fact, it never signs me out, even after a month.

I suspect this has something to do with settings on your iPhone under Safari. More than likely it's something to do with a time limit on cache or cookies I would think.