How to adjust the steering stops on your TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
If you're using your stock Jeep wheels with 31x10.50 or larger tires, then you're probably experiencing some rubbing on your lower control arms at a full turn now. The reason for the rub is that stock wheels have 5.5" of backspacing and you just put on a set of tires that in most cases are one whole inch wider (technically .5" on either side but you get the point) than before. So, how do you fix this annoying rubbing?

1. Modify the way you drive.
2. Buy new wheels with less backspacing (4.5" or less)
3. Adjust your steer stops. I think you'll agree with me that this is by far the cheapest and easiest solution.​

steer-stops01.jpg

What You Will Need
  • 3/8" Washers (Qty. 2-6)
  • 9/16" Socket
  • Ratchet

Installation
Buy washers with 3/8" holes in them. Most likely, you will only need one for each side of your axle but I would recommend buying a couple more just in case.

Starting on the passenger side of your Jeep, remove your steer stop bolt using a 9/16" socket as shown in the pic to the left.
(Note: The nut on the bolt is welded on.)

steer-stops02.jpg

Once the bolt is off, slip a washer on and then re-install it.

steer-stops03.jpg

steer-stops04.jpg

Repeat steps 2-3 on the driver side of the Jeep.

Take your Jeep out for a test ride and check to see if your rubbing has gone away. If it hasn't, add another washer onto your steer stop bolts. Two should do the trick but I have heard of some guys needing as much as three.

This is happening on my TJ today & after a little inspection, I'm wishing my bolts were as clean & rust-free as the ones in the pics above! I'm hoping I don't need to add drilling & retapping to the process...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the first thing I did after getting my 31's and 2 washers each side did it for me. It does take away a bit from your turning radius, but thats less annoying than nudging the lower control arms.

Glad this is even an option though!

I'm deff rubbing a little @ full lock out with the new 32x11.5's on...I'm thinking I'll need 3 washers...the bolts are soaked in penetrating spray now, I'll hit them again in a bit & then gently try 2 twist them out...

I tried two washers, but it restricted my turning radius too much, so I stuck to one washer.

Too much for the trail, the road, or just too much in general? I'm new to the jeep thing & love the tight turning radius, but I'm used to my DD truck that turns about as well as an aircraft carrier, so I'm thinking losing a little in the jeep might not be a big deal to me compared to the pickup on the road...

Too much for the trail, the road, or just too much in general? I'm new to the jeep thing & love the tight turning radius, but I'm used to my DD truck that turns about as well as an aircraft carrier, so I'm thinking losing a little in the jeep might not be a big deal to me compared to the pickup on the road...

Definitely too much for the trail. My Jeep is my DD, so I've grown accustomed to the tight turn radius. If your daily is a big truck, you probably won't even notice it on your jeep.

Definitely too much for the trail. My Jeep is my DD, so I've grown accustomed to the tight turn radius. If your daily is a big truck, you probably won't even notice it on your jeep.

Thanks for the input man...I really appreciate it! I soaked those bolts for days & they won't even think of budging...gonna have to spend some time heating them up this weekend...I am new to the jeep and will be wheeling for the 1st time when the weather improves in CT so I really have no point of reference as to how tight I will need the turning radius to be til I give it a try...

I wonder if WJ lower arms are an alternative? It's a common mod in the XJ world so I would assume it would work on TJ's as well. The factory WJ arms are bent for tire clearance but require shaving down the sides of the bolt sleeve just a bit to fit in the arm pocket.

Reactions: StG58

My DD is an F-250 diesel, so as long as the TJ's turning radius is less than 2 football fields I'm good :)

Thanks for the input man...I really appreciate it! I soaked those bolts for days & they won't even think of budging...gonna have to spend some time heating them up this weekend...I am new to the jeep and will be wheeling for the 1st time when the weather improves in CT so I really have no point of reference as to how tight I will need the turning radius to be til I give it a try...

Get some Kroil when you get a chance. I'd never heard of it before the Forum but the stuff works great.

Reactions: Tjaggie and Chris
I hear ya man, too much B.S. with that kinda crap. It's just frowned upon here but not sticklers. Now my third brake light during inspections, different story, lol

That's funny. No inspections here other than making sure I don't have a CEL every other year and I don't even have a third brake light.

Reactions: Tjaggie
I'm in the middle of replacing my ball joints, axle seals, hubs... at some point I was lying down staring at my steering stop because I 'breezed through' this thread earlier and I thought to myself.. "who the #*$& welded these in place?!!" Good to know they can still be adjusted LOL

Reactions: Chris