How to adjust the steering stops on your TJ

To @moab :

The typical range of backspacing for TJ's on aftermarket wheels with wider than stock tires is 3.75" to 4.5".

3.75" is too little backspacing for 31" tires, which are typically about 10.5" wide - you will get the dreaded "skateboard" look.

4.0" is the optimum backspacing for tires 12-12.5" wide up to 35" in diameter. If you do a lot of hardcore stuff where you are using all of your up/down suspension travel you may want 3.75" to gain some additional clearance, or if you like the look of the tires extending past the fender flares. You will need less backspacing than that if you run 37" tires (which is discouraged by many/most jeepers for TJ axles), perhaps as little as 3.5".

31" tires are typically about 10.5" wide. 4.5" backspacing is perfect for this size. Happily, that backspacing is available for the wheels you want: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-51-5866. Some 16x8 wheels have 4.3" backspacing, which will also work but I don't know if that backspacing is available with 15" wheels. I wouldn't use less than 4.0" backspacing with 31x10.50 tires.

For reference, the photo below shows "metric 35's" [315/75R16 with 12.4" section width] on 16x8 wheels with 4.0" backspacing. One washer under each steering stop eliminated any rubbing on the lower control arms:

Mr. Bills Jeep 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Chris
I was able to do this - and it seems to work, however I have a question. My left front tire no longer rubs on the control arm, but the right front still has a slight rub. I had my wife sit in the Jeep and turn the wheel all the way to the left and right. What I noticed when looking at the tire compared to the control arm is that the left front has a little bit more room compared to the right front. Does this mean my alignment might be off? Or could it be something else?

Reactions: rasband
I was able to do this - and it seems to work, however I have a question. My left front tire no longer rubs on the control arm, but the right front still has a slight rub. I had my wife sit in the Jeep and turn the wheel all the way to the left and right. What I noticed when looking at the tire compared to the control arm is that the left front has a little bit more room compared to the right front. Does this mean my alignment might be off? Or could it be something else?

I came to ask something similar, I have 1 extra washer on the driver side (rubbing on the passenger LCA at full right turn) and was curious if this is indication of my tracking not being centered or if there's any other possible considerations.

Old post, but I think this is the info I'm looking for. I'm getting ready to install a 4" lift on my daughter's yellow lj. I really like the look of the stock 15" rims. I plan on running 33x10.5 R15s.

Old post, but I think this is the info I'm looking for. I'm getting ready to install a 4" lift on my daughter's yellow lj. I really like the look of the stock 15" rims. I plan on running 33x10.5 R15s.
I have 33x10.5 on my LJ. Minor tire rub on stock arms. Install the lift and tire then adjust to your liking 👍🏼

These didn’t want to come off easy but the impact did the trick. Cleaned up nicely, 2 washers per side and no real noticeable restriction on steering but no rubbing unless at full tilt and pushing!

Last edited:
I did this last weekend. I have 32x11.5s and two grade 8 washers worked awesome. No more rubbing! Thanks all!
UPDATE: After driving with two washers for a couple weeks, I and still rubbing a little sometimes at full lock. Added a 3rd washer. Also, FYI, my Jeep is stock height with stock wheels.

I'm deff rubbing a little @ full lock out with the new 32x11.5's on...I'm thinking I'll need 3 washers...the bolts are soaked in penetrating spray now, I'll hit them again in a bit & then gently try 2 twist them out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use some heat before removing them. It is a lot easier than drilling and extracting a broken bolt.