How to adjust the steering stops on your TJ

Thanks for the write-up and pics.
Completed the job in less than 30 minutes by using one washer on each side.
I had to spray a little PB Blaster to loosen the bolts up though.
I didn’t notice the loss of turning radius and no longer rub.
This saved me a ton of money and time.
Awesome!

Reactions: Chris
Did it this morning before a meeting. Took longer to find the right washers in my garage then it did to install them!! LOL!! Free, simple, effective! The forum pays off .....again!

I have 33 -12.50 with 2" suspension lift passenger side hit s control arm. Was thinking that that a n offset control arm would give me clearance. Do they make an offset front lower control arm for 2004 ?

Yes my tires are rubbing. I do not currently know the wheel offset. I have not been able to find offset control arms on line. Maybe they are not available? Do you think the best option is to adjust steering stops?

Yes my tires are rubbing. I do not currently know the wheel offset. I have not been able to find offset control arms on line. Maybe they are not available? Do you think the best option is to adjust steering stops?
Are you running oem tj wheels with a larger width tire? I guess it depends on how much you can turn before it rubs, but possibly move the tire further away from the control arm with a different offset wheel.

Reactions: 2004X
No I have custom wheels. They were on it when I bought the Jeep. I'm new to all this. This is my first Jeep, I bought it about 1 month ago. Had several little things that I wanted to work on, but didn't have the experience to know where start. All of the tech talk on the forum has been a big help! This tire rubbing issue was the next on my list to fix. I thought that the controls arms might need replaced so I was hoping I could kill two birds with one stone, if I could find offset arms. But I was under the Jeep yesterday and the tires are also rubbing the sway bar links. The only two options then are as you said get a different offset wheel, or adjust steering stops as Chris mentioned at the begining.

I like the rims, so I guess I will adjust the steering stops.

Thanks for you responses MaloStapalo! It helped me go thru the thought process and decide the steering stops would be the best route for me.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
No I have custom wheels. They were on it when I bought the Jeep. I'm new to all this. This is my first Jeep, I bought it about 1 month ago. Had several little things that I wanted to work on, but didn't have the experience to know where start. All of the tech talk on the forum has been a big help! This tire rubbing issue was the next on my list to fix. I thought that the controls arms might need replaced so I was hoping I could kill two birds with one stone, if I could find offset arms. But I was under the Jeep yesterday and the tires are also rubbing the sway bar links. The only two options then are as you said get a different offset wheel, or adjust steering stops as Chris mentioned at the begining.

I like the rims, so I guess I will adjust the steering stops.

Thanks for you responses MaloStapalo! It helped me go thru the thought process and decide the steering stops would be the best route for me.
If that doesn't help there is also wheel spacers just make sure you get high quality ones. They're pretty important.

Adjusting the steering stops to prevent the tire rub. Simple with info from this thread. Spray a little Blaster or Liquid Wrench type stuff on early, screw the bolt out. Add a washer to see if it is enough, if not add a second one like I had to, repeat on the other side and Wa La, Fixed.

Thanks Guys.

Adjusting the steering stops to prevent the tire rub. Simple with info from this thread. Spray a little Blaster or Liquid Wrench type stuff on early, screw the bolt out. Add a washer to see if it is enough, if not add a second one like I had to, repeat on the other side and Wa La, Fixed.

Thanks Guys.
*801 Driver - what size wheels and tires are you running? I have 17" wheels with 33-12.5's Think I need one or two washers?

My 98 TJ is virtually original from the factory but the previous owner had just put a new set of 235-75-15's on instead of the 215's that were factory, not sure what it had before these. They were just enough wider to rub the outside knobs of the tread on the the rear support arm to the axle.(Not sure what the name is.) at full locked steering.

Thanks to the great tip posted on this site about the adjustable stops,, (I had never been exposed to any other vehicle with these) I sprayed it down the night before then I just quickly tried one washer and tested, better but still rubbing, had to add a second washer. Did both sides to match while I was under there, both sides cleared.

Thanks for the Tip, I most likely would have not noticed those stops on my own or thought about adding washers..

Cheers Chris I have been putting up with noise and vibration for the last six months I will be out adjusting them in the morning 23 45 here thanks again Chris

Thanks for the write-up Chris. This served as a reminder, something I had been meaning to do for some time. Except I wanted to improve my turning radius not eliminate any rubbing. I previously owned a 98 TJ that was bone-stock and had the amazing turning radius you expect from a TJ. So I went out to make the adjustment and discovered a few things. 1. No PB Blaster required, passenger side turned by hand, drivers side was almost that easy to adjust. 2. The nuts aren't welded to the bolts. 3. I did in fact have some rubbing on the drivers side (see pic). Regardless, I made the adjustment and now have that turning radius I've been missing. The Jeep (04 Sahara) is driven gently, appears to be all stock except the 33x12.5x15 (maybe the reason for the rubbing). I have taken it offroad, but only the mild stuff so far. If I'm doing harm to the Jeep with this rubbing please let me know and I'll re-adjust it.
Rubbing.jpg

Tried this today. . . . Those bolts aren’t going anywhere. . . .

Did you soak with penetrating oil in advance?

Try Kroil (in the orange container), but what actually works better than all of the commercial products is a simple 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. I keep some on hand in an inexpensive 1 pint pistol type oil can.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
I used PB Blaster. It’s not a big enough deal for me to go all out on it. I’m just waiting until Xmas passes for me to get new wheels. But I’ll try your suggestions if I decide to try again. Thanks for the tips!

If you're using your stock Jeep wheels with 31x10.50 or larger tires, then you're probably experiencing some rubbing on your lower control arms at a full turn now. The reason for the rub is that stock wheels have 5.5" of backspacing and you just put on a set of tires that in most cases are one whole inch wider (technically .5" on either side but you get the point) than before. So, how do you fix this annoying rubbing?

1. Modify the way you drive.​
2. Buy new wheels with less backspacing (4.5" or less)​
3. Adjust your steer stops. I think you'll agree with me that this is by far the cheapest and easiest solution.​

View attachment 9298

What You Will Need
  • 3/8" Washers (Qty. 2-6)
  • 9/16" Socket
  • Ratchet

Installation
Buy washers with 3/8" holes in them. Most likely, you will only need one for each side of your axle but I would recommend buying a couple more just in case.

Starting on the passenger side of your Jeep, remove your steer stop bolt using a 9/16" socket as shown in the pic to the left.
(Note: The nut on the bolt is welded on.)

View attachment 9299

Once the bolt is off, slip a washer on and then re-install it.

View attachment 9300

View attachment 9301

Repeat steps 2-3 on the driver side of the Jeep.

Take your Jeep out for a test ride and check to see if your rubbing has gone away. If it hasn't, add another washer onto your steer stop bolts. Two should do the trick but I have heard of some guys needing as much as three.

"2. Buy new wheels with less backspacing (4.5" or less)"

Does this mean I can run 31's on a stock TJ without rubbing if my backspace is 3.75"? The rims I want to buy - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-51-5865f

Reactions: JMT