How to aim and align your headlights

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
How to aim Jeep Wrangler TJ headlights
There are two small T-15 torx-head adjustment screws that you can access from the front, between the headlight lense and the chrome bezel. Find the little indentations on the chrome bezels located at the 4 and 10 o'clock positions around the bezel, those give clearance for access to the two adjustment screws. They both aim the headlight so it's a little of both to move it in the direction it needs to go. Top screw for up-down, bottom screw for left-right.

How to align Jeep Wrangler TJ headlights
When lifting Jeeps the headlights are often over looked so use this simple guide to adjust your headlights aiming pionts.

Step 1 - On level ground, put your Jeep vehicle in front of a wall as close as possible.

Step 2 - With tape, put 2 crosses on the wall that correspond with the vertical and horizontal center lines of both headlights.

Step 3 -
Move the Jeep back 25 ft., keeping the Jeep centered with the tape crosses on the wall.

Step 4 -
Examine the light pattern.

lowbeam-jpg.6378.jpg

Low Beams should be hitting the lower right sections of the crosses.

hibeam-jpg.6379.jpg

High Beams should split the cross hairs.

Turn the horizontal and vertical adjusting screws (located on the headlights bucket) to make adjustments.

When replacing sealed beam headlights, do I still need to aim and align? Unfortunately, I live on the side of a hill, and there is no level place to aim and align unless I go drive it to a parking lot. I would drive to a parking lot, but if I don't have to I would prefer not to!

When replacing sealed beam headlights, do I still need to aim and align? Unfortunately, I live on the side of a hill, and there is no level place to aim and align unless I go drive it to a parking lot. I would drive to a parking lot, but if I don't have to I would prefer not to!

Yes, generally you will need to aim and align them.

Reactions: darkangel07760
I usually do my low beams first and then my highs. Only because I rarely use the high beams.

Depends on the LEDs you have. My Truck Lites are super easy to aim, because they have a sharp cutoff pattern.

Reactions: ebutner
My first post here, hopefully I am not asking a stupid question. On above explanation are the horizontal and vertical lines determined by measuring from the center of the headlights? ie center line of lights to the ground and center to center between the lights themselves. Or is it determined by putting the vehicle as close to the wall as possible and using center of concentrated light? Maybe the points should be the same because the Jeep is so close to the wall?

My first post here, hopefully I am not asking a stupid question. On above explanation are the horizontal and vertical lines determined by measuring from the center of the headlights? ie center line of lights to the ground and center to center between the lights themselves. Or is it determined by putting the vehicle as close to the wall as possible and using center of concentrated light? Maybe the points should be the same because the Jeep is so close to the wall?
Not a stupid question, as I was wondering the same thing...my guess is the tape represents the center of the concentrated light on the wall...Chris?

Reactions: RangerZ21i
Not a stupid question, as I was wondering the same thing...my guess is the tape represents the center of the concentrated light on the wall...Chris?

Yep, that’s how I did it. The tape is the center of the concentrated light.

Reactions: RangerZ21i
Chris, I just received my Truck Lites for my TJR. Installed easily and now to get them properly aimed. I do have one question that perhaps you or someone else who has installed Truck Lites. With each headlight there was a small plastic tube that appears to be some sort of grease. No instructions or indication what it is or how to use it. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Reactions: justmedan63
Chris, I just received my Truck Lites for my TJR. Installed easily and now to get them properly aimed. I do have one question that perhaps you or someone else who has installed Truck Lites. With each headlight there was a small plastic tube that appears to be some sort of grease. No instructions or indication what it is or how to use it. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

I believe that's electrical grease that you can put on the electrical connections to the back of the headlights. Not required by any means, but won't hurt either!

Thanks. They went together fine. I did put some electrical tape around the connection to help reduce moisture encroachment.
Yes, dialectical grease should be added to electrical connections to prohibit corruption. Those in salty areas for sure want to use this periodically.

I am going to try this, this weekend, My Lady's new to her TJ is trying to land airplanes with one headlight and it is looking for hedgehogs with the other. They are so bad that I cannot even tell that they are on if there are any street lights on. haha. I am not sure what the previous owner was thinking. But they are bad.

I don't have 25 feet but I do have 15, so it may not be perfect, but anything has to be better.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Need some advise. I ordered a set of LEDs and installed in my 98 TJ. The install was easy and simple. Direct connect to the existing wiring. Here is the set I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CKRQRP/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Once I finished, I took the Jeep out and had multiple folks flash their lights at me. I forgot to aim the new lights. :oops:

Once I got home, I pulled the Jeep up to my garage door and marked the 2 lights with tape per Chris's great instructions. However, when I move the Jeep back 25 feet, I do not get 2 distinct lights but one large mass. Any thoughts on properly aiming these?

Reactions: Chief28.ret