How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Again, that thing that bolts on like a wheel seems like the only real way to be 100% accurate.
If you wont take my word for it then please just check for yourself. Carefully measure the alignment and then shift one bar laterally 2" and redo the measurements. Sometimes it helps to get your hands dirty and see for yourself.

Reactions: Hopper and SvtLdr
If you wont take my word for it then please just check for yourself. Carefully measure the alignment and then shift one bar laterally 2" and redo the measurements. Sometimes it helps to get your hands dirty and see for yourself.
I agree, and it's starting to make sense. But if that's the case, why measure the bars and put the little lines where the 33 or 35" tire "would be"? Seems totally unnecessary then.

That's a different issue, has to do with the specs being given in degrees and measuring the toe in differences in length. I'd say overall there is a bit of estimating going on with respect to the real specs but you are going for slightly toe in and the method suggested gets you close enough. If you want to really get down to degrees then you gotta pull out the calculator or dig up those trig tables.

That's a different issue, has to do with the specs being given in degrees and measuring the toe in differences in length. I'd say overall there is a bit of estimating going on with respect to the real specs but you are going for slightly toe in and the method suggested gets you close enough. If you want to really get down to degrees then you gotta pull out the calculator or dig up those trig tables.
That was my point. There's eyeballing (estimating) involved. Even using inch fractions instead of degrees it just seems like that's way too tight a tolerance to eyeball any part of it and still be accurate. Like I said, I can see where this method will get you "close enough" especially in cases where a lift has been installed and the toe is like 3/4" off.

As a novice, I wasn't sure how strict everything was with these measurements. As it turns out, not too strict. Which is good. Can't wait to try it out.

Reactions: Hopper
That was my point. There's eyeballing (estimating) involved.
I think you are missing the point. You are setting an exact value, it just might be 0.5 degrees or 0.8 degrees depending on which number you pick. You aren't going to get a different value each time because of measurement errors. There is no estimating, just a translation between tire size, difference in length and degrees. If you pick 1/16" and are careful that's exactly what you'll get every time.

best way to move the axle side to side to center it? Assuming it has to be jacked up/weight off tires obviously....but is ratchet strap the best way, then adjust the track bar accordingly? (assuming adjustable track bar)

Adjust the track bar length with the weight of the Jeep fully on the ground. Ratchet strap the axle over so it's centered then adjust the length of the track bar so it can be bolted into place at the driver's side.

Adjust the track bar length with the weight of the Jeep fully on the ground. Ratchet strap the axle over so it's centered then adjust the length of the track bar so it can be bolted into place at the driver's side.
Ratchet strap the axle while the jeep is on the ground?

Not to take this thread too far, but are there any methods for centering axles?

My rear is a 4 link and front is a 3 link. I am fighting having the axle centered side to side under the vehicle. I can't use bump stop tricks as everything was custom built. I have tried grabbing cross measurements from top knuckle to cross frame, but that is impossible to do assembled.

The rear I tried going old school and dropping a plumb line on each side of the frame. This again has certain issues since axles were all custom built again.

Not to take this thread too far, but are there any methods for centering axles?

My rear is a 4 link and front is a 3 link. I am fighting having the axle centered side to side under the vehicle. I can't use bump stop tricks as everything was custom built. I have tried grabbing cross measurements from top knuckle to cross frame, but that is impossible to do assembled.

The rear I tried going old school and dropping a plumb line on each side of the frame. This again has certain issues since axles were all custom built again.
There are a couple Jeep builders like @mrblaine that will likely have some good suggestions if you'll ask on the main Jeep Wrangler TJ forum where they hang out.

Reactions: DaEbLe
I am new to this forum. I just bought my first jeep a 2001 tJ My question is when you jack up the front to do the alignment how do you get the square tube to the right angle ? or do you just eyeball it.