How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Some people use the tire itself for the measurement. I don't trust tires to be that perfectly symmetrical. With the aluminum placed on the tire, it's sitting against variations in the sidewall like big lettering, small lettering, little nibs. You get a hard flat surface with the rotors.
Because the tension in the tape measure might deflect the rubber in the tires using the aluminum arm as a lever. You can measure from the tread in the tire, that wont deflect the tire enough to matter. Measure from the same tread block on both sides. That's what I do and it works fine.
More repeatable measurements, they wouldn't be as repeatable if the aluminum tubes were attached to the tires.
Thanks! noted

Was looking at other products from TMR and saw they offer a DIY toe alignment tool. Scrap aluminum angle and clamps worked fine for me but somebody else may be interested.
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/collections/steering-builder-parts/products/diy-toe-alignment-tool
toe_alignment_lifestyle_1800x1800.jpg

Reactions: Matt888 and SvtLdr
I know the forum's consensus is to set the toe in about 1/16" but no more than 3/16".

But...

The Factory Service manual indicates a total toe in of 0.30 degrees (0.15 degrees in each wheel)

That means that for:

31" tire it is around 0.16"
33" tire is around 0.17"
35" tire is around 0.18"

but...
1/16" = 0.0625"
1/8" = 0.125"

What do guys think about that? Am I wrong on something? Am I forgetting about any factors here?

*** I did the math by using this site: https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeDegreesToInches.htm

Reactions: JMT
I know the forum's consensus is to set the toe in about 1/16" but no more than 3/16".

But...

The Factory Service manual indicates a total toe in of 0.30 degrees (0.15 degrees in each wheel)

That means that for:

33" tire is around 0.17"
35" tire is around 0.18"

but...
1/16" = 0.0625"
1/8" = 0.125"

What do guys think about that? Am I wrong on something? Am I forgetting about any factors here?

*** I did the math by using this site: https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeDegreesToInches.htm
It looks like you’re onto something, but as I play with the calculator it dawns on me that the larger tire the less toe in you want to stay at factory 0.30*. Right?

Edit:no, that means we’re not toe in enough for larger tires. Need more like 1/4”. That’s a rough guess as my head doesn’t want to contemplate this anymore. 🤣

Reactions: jjvw
It looks like you’re onto something, but as I play with the calculator it dawns on me that the larger tire the less toe in you want to stay at factory 0.30*. Right?
Yeap.

The larger the tire the larger the distance on the front than on the rear. Like my post above:

0.30 degrees in inches is:

33" tire is around 0.17"
35" tire is around 0.18"

Reactions: tworley
Your question has been asked and answered. Honestly, it's a simple process, you want slight toe in. The response @Jerry Bransford posted to the exact same question you just asked is just as valid today as it was in 2018 when he posted it. It seems like you really aren't trying to learn anything on this thread anymore to me.

Yeap.

The larger the tire the larger the distance on the front than on the rear. Like my post above:

0.30 degrees in inches is:

33" tire is around 0.17"
35" tire is around 0.18"
To get to 0.30 total toe for my 35’s I need 0.49” toe, or roughly 1/2” toe in. You probably saw the opposite calculator https://robrobinette.com/ConvertToeInchesToDegrees.htm

Your question has been asked and answered. Honestly, it's a simple process, you want slight toe in. The response @Jerry Bransford posted to the exact same question you just asked is just as valid today as it was in 2018 when he posted it. It seems like you really aren't trying to learn anything on this thread anymore to me.
Do you mean that post #141 is my answer?

Sorry, but I don't think that this is an answer. Actually you can measure 0.3 degrees very easily. It's simple math. I, also, posted a link to make it even easier.

I am trying to learn, but I am also trying to contribute here. I simply don't understand why to settle with 1/16" just for being an easy "universal" number, when Factory Service manual indicated otherwise.

Also, I did ask if I am missing anything, since I am still not 100% sure if I am leaving a factor other than not willing to do the math.

Reactions: JMT
How did you come up with that?

View attachment 306380
If I want my total toe to be .3, and I have a 35” tire diameter, then…1/2” toe in. When we align our Jeep we only do total toe, which is the difference between front and rear, right? So make the leading tread 1/2” shorter than trailing tread?

F52945F4-1D12-49D0-9EE1-770543E4316B.png

You need the "Convert Toe Angle to Inches " calculator.

Check my photo at post #272
I’m confused. 🤪 I need to think about it. 🤔 What would you say I need to set my toe at in inches for 35’s to stay at factory 0.30*?