How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Wow, those are pretty nifty! They are priced reasonably too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VAOHB2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
they work without failure, accurate to a 16th or 32nd depending how picky you are, i used them for over 15 years on the racing circuit , and like you said very reasonable priced, it includes everything, 2 plates , 2 tape measures. it is also important when measuring toe, you use 2 identical tape measures. different manufactures make the ends differently and if you use two different tapes , you could be off as much as 1/4"

I am familiar with those, but will they work on Jeeps with oversized wheels and tires?
yes , unless its a monster truck with 44" rims ,because you are measuring at the bottom of the tires, and the tapes are 8' or 12' long , i use them on oversize tires too , these tires are 16 1/2 "wide ,and notice how low the car is. i use them on this 2 or 3 times a week
dlx 020 (2).JPG
Race car.jpg

Well, I finally did it. After replacing all of my front end parts (currie), I went to a shop for the alignment... Watched them test drive it, got it back and on the way home, it seemed like way too many vibrations coming up thru the steering wheel. At home, I inspected and found that the drag link collar for adjusting the steering wheel center was completely loose, and there was no grease in any of the tie-rods ect, where I had asked for it to be lubed.

Tightened it all up, greased everything, and off to California I drove. Steering was good and solid, no vibrations, but it did feel a bit sluggish overall. Returned to Colorado and noticed some strange looking wear on my front tires. I searched and read the post on DIY alignments here.

I took the plunge, bought the aluminum squares, tapes and clamps, measured the tires, made the marks, matched it on the rotors, and damn, 1/8th on the money..... checked the tires, and it seemed to look like under-inflation wear. Well duh ! check the air pressure knucklehead... I did, with 2 gauges one was at 30 and one was at 40, (LT265/75R 16)..who knows which is right, so I added 5 pounds to each tire.

Now, steering is great, tracking is great and the TJ seems to be gliding, almost as if you could easily push it with one finger.

I learned: First sign of strange front end feeling, I'll check the tire pressure first, then other items. I will never again go to the Un-named shop, I will never go to any shop to set the front of my TJ. I will continue to use the alignment tools I made as a result of joining this site, and, I'll continue to try out good reasonable ideas I learn from this forum. Oh yeah, I'll never put an Angry Bird grill on my TJ... :)

Thanks to everyone contributing on this great forum

Ray

... I did, with 2 gauges one was at 30 and one was at 40, (LT265/75R 16)..who knows which is right, so I added 5 pounds to each tire.

That is WAY too much air in those tires. If they are load range C tires they should be around 26 PSI, load range E maybe 22 or 24 PSI.

Thanks to everyone contributing on this great forum

Woohoo, glad you got it all done. First time I aligned my TJ I was thinking it was going to be super difficult. After doing it the first time, I realized it was actually easy as hell. Every time I align it now I just laugh at how easy it is.

That is WAY too much air in those tires. If they are load range C tires they should be around 26 PSI, load range E maybe 22 or 24 PSI.

X2. Assuming you have C load range tires, I'd put them around 26 psi and no more. Anymore than that and it's going to ride like crap.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
They were wearing on the outer edges, less on the inner. Comparing to photos of underinflated, they are the same. Tires are Big O Big Foots, load range E. The ride is great, not too hard, not to soft. Solid on the steering, not feeling every little bump in the road coming into the steering wheel.
I've read a few posts on the lower tp, and prior to the front end rebuild, I had experimented with the lower pressures, and it felt like I was driving thru cement.

With these new parts, I'll give it another shot and see what happens

Ray

Reactions: CodaMan and Chris
...because you are measuring at the bottom of the tires,
Where exactly do you take the measurement? It sounds like you’re saying down low and not in the middle across the center of the axle. Can you show me from a pic exactly where you’re supposed to measure the toe?

They were wearing on the outer edges, less on the inner. Comparing to photos of underinflated, they are the same. Tires are Big O Big Foots, load range E. The ride is great, not too hard, not to soft. Solid on the steering, not feeling every little bump in the road coming into the steering wheel.
I've read a few posts on the lower tp, and prior to the front end rebuild, I had experimented with the lower pressures, and it felt like I was driving thru cement.

With these new parts, I'll give it another shot and see what happens

Ray

I dropped the pressure to 25 front and rear, and I'm not liking the feel too much. Feels like the TJ is being held back (driving thru cement thing), and sometimes gets that side to side motion like I'm in a boat. I went to Mr. Google to see what's out there, and for my tire size and load range, I found 40 psi was common, 31 to 36 common, a couple of 36/37 front and 31/32 rears, one 28 psi, and one that is got me shaking my head, 60 psi for a better ride.......

One tip I found was to run a chalk line across each tire and run it for a few hundred feet to see what/where on the tire it wears off, in order to tell if over, under, or proper inflation. Can't do it today since snow and rain are coming, but maybe next week.

In the mean time, I'll keep it 25 and monitor for changes in the ride and my attitude about it :)

Ray

Reactions: Chris
Hi team TJ - I am trying to center my steering wheel but cannot loosen the drag link sleeve to make the adjustments. The bolt heads are rounded which are not helping the matter, any tips on how to remove/loosen these bolts? Do I need to cut them and then buy new bolts?

steering-center02.jpg

Hi team TJ - I am trying to center my steering wheel but cannot loosen the drag link sleeve to make the adjustments. The bolt heads are rounded which are not helping the matter, any tips on how to remove/loosen these bolts? Do I need to cut them and then buy new bolts?

If I remember correctly the heads are round and captive, only need wrench on nut where your hand is.
Penetrating oil, vice grips, heat.

Reactions: Chris
Where exactly do you take the measurement? It sounds like you’re saying down low and not in the middle across the center of the axle. Can you show me from a pic exactly where you’re supposed to measure the toe?
you measure down low to avoid measuring around calipers , frame, anything that might be in the way. the tire is touching the road at the bottom, no matter where you measure . if its toed in or out it will measure the same. its just easier at the bottom and the toe plates have cut outs on the bottom for measuring

Reactions: CodaMan and Chris
If I remember correctly the heads are round and captive, only need wrench on nut where your hand is.
Penetrating oil, vice grips, heat.

Thanks for the reply. I did soak them in PB Blaster prior to wrenching, but both the nut and rounded head continuously spin, and this is on each of the two nuts.

My thoughts are to drill a notch in the rounded head, or drill out the bolt, but either way will require new bolts. With so many people centering their steering wheel has anyone else encountered this issue?

I would cut them off and either replace the clamps, or for about $20, replace the sleeve and the clamps. I think Omix makes a replacement.

Reactions: Imapepper
Thanks for the reply. I did soak them in PB Blaster prior to wrenching, but both the nut and rounded head continuously spin, and this is on each of the two nuts.

My thoughts are to drill a notch in the rounded head, or drill out the bolt, but either way will require new bolts. With so many people centering their steering wheel has anyone else encountered this issue?

I personally didn't have this issue, but I agree with @CodaMan. If you can just cut them off and replace the whole sleeve, that's what I would do. I don't know what year your Jeep is but this site should give you a rough idea of what they cost.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/category/jeep_wrangler_tj/tie-rod-adjusting-sleeve

I would cut them off and either replace the clamps, or for about $20, replace the sleeve and the clamps. I think Omix makes a replacement.

I personally didn't have this issue, but I agree with @CodaMan. If you can just cut them off and replace the whole sleeve, that's what I would do. I don't know what year your Jeep is but this site should give you a rough idea of what they cost.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/category/jeep_wrangler_tj/tie-rod-adjusting-sleeve

Thanks guys - Just wanted to see if there was a "trick" to remove or just do it the old fashioned way with a dremel. Thanks for that link, part is relatively cheap so I'll grab it from:

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...C1e81H5hAqvpHiE_8aAsdgEALw_wcB&ad=47433950292

Reactions: Imapepper and ac_

I attribute the issue to the steering company outsourcing their product to some third world shithole in order to lower the price.

Reactions: StG58
20180518_172720.jpg
20180518_172727.jpg
20180518_172739.jpg
20180518_172750.jpg
20180518_172810.jpg
20180518_172831.jpg
20180518_172842.jpg
20180518_172848.jpg
20180518_172906.jpg
20180518_172921.jpg
20180518_173028.jpg
yes , unless its a monster truck with 44" rims ,because you are measuring at the bottom of the tires, and the tapes are 8' or 12' long , i use them on oversize tires too , these tires are 16 1/2 "wide ,and notice how low the car is. i use them on this 2 or 3 times a weekView attachment 27777 View attachment 27778
here is a update , i took pics of the toe plates as i used them to show those of you who are interested in them, very simple had results in less than 3 minutes without lifting jeep of the ground.
1 set plate on each front tire
2 run a tape measure from pass side to drive side under the jeep in front of the tires and behind the tires
3 on drivers side support the toe plate with a weighted object if your alone, or have someone hold the plate firmly on the tire. set the tapes in the lower hole on front and rear of the toe plates
4 go back to the pass side and insert the tapes into the lower holes on the toe plates ,( same as the drivers side) and hold slight pressure on the tapes to get rid of any slack in the tapes, take your measurements
5 you will notice the front tape in the pic reads 76 3/8" and the rear tape reads 77 1/4" telling you the toe is in almost a full inch, way to much .. move your tie rod lengths to desired toe and recheck until you get what toe setting your looking for. its a real simple , very quick way to take an accurate measurement of your toe.