How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

The FSM was written expecting the vehicle to be on a computerized laser alignment machine. Each tire gets its own swivel base and a mirror for the lasers to work against. The FSM breaks down the steps with that environment in mind. It adjusts the toe and the steering wheel centering in two half-steps.

Most backyard mechanics don't have one of those machines in their garage, so we do it a little differently. You can't adjust the toe for one side alone, it always affects both sides. So we adjust the toe in one step, and then center the steering wheel in a second step. It boils down to the identical adjustment as the alignment machine would give. And just as accurate, or more so, since the alignment tech just gets it in range, and we can tweak it to perfection. Not that perfection really matters on the toe.

Last edited:
When aligning the steering wheel after doing the toe in adjustment, is it best to have the wheels on the ground? Thanks.

When replacing the front coils I noticed on the lca attachment point what looks to be a cam bolt. Appears that this would be for adjusting caster.
Bolt head seems to be in the middle of the washer though...so..not a cam bolt? Could you buy cam bolts and adjust caster if you thought you needed to?

I just replaced the original steering links on my '97 Wrangler - drag link, tie rod/ends, track bar. Replaced with original stock items, and had no problems reinstalling. Used Jerry's guide for alignment and steering wheel adjust and all is good! Thanks for all the great write-ups on this. One question for the group - I do now hear a slight metallic rubbing noise (right front wheel area)- it occurs ONLY when I'm in a right turn, and usually when I'm decelerating in a right turn. It almost sounds like something intermittently rubbing against the brake rotor. Any ideas what this might be? Also, I have just noticed a small amount of fluid on the rubber boot of my steering stabilizer - any chance a leaky seal could be causing something sporadic to occur with the steering stabilizer that is contributing to the rubbing noise while in a turn? thx!

^^ I would try to see if you can figure out which side of the vehicle is making the noise from, and try to isolate it better if possible. Could be a wheel bearing issue also.^^

On another note, I have done this method as well, by using the bars described in the OP post with good success. Great write up, and am thankful as well. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I have a rust ridge on my rotors. Next time, I'll be putting a two small spacer/standoffs to locate on the smooth part of the rotors for better accuracy.

Thumbing through this thread, all 20 pages, I have a comment on the alignment plates. They are 23" wide. Yes, they might fit against your tires without taking them off, very convenient. But...you would be setting your toe to a 23" tire then, defeating the purpose of using them at all. It might be good for the race car that gets re-aligned every week, but I don't quite think it's right for Jeep application. Not throwing stones, no haters please, just my $.02

Thumbing through this thread, all 20 pages, I have a comment on the alignment plates. They are 23" wide. Yes, they might fit against your tires without taking them off, very convenient. But...you would be setting your toe to a 23" tire then, defeating the purpose of using them at all. It might be good for the race car that gets re-aligned every week, but I don't quite think it's right for Jeep application. Not throwing stones, no haters please, just my $.02

Tire size is completely irrelevant in setting toe. With 24" sticks, set the toe in by 1/8". Or with 36" sticks, set the toe in by 3/16". That gives 0.15° on each side, 0.30° total toe in.

Those 23" alignment plates are well within the tolorance of the 1/8" at 24" setting.

Reactions: JMT
Tire size is completely irrelevant in setting toe. With 24" sticks, set the toe in by 1/8". Or with 36" sticks, set the toe in by 3/16". That gives 0.15° on each side, 0.30° total toe in.

Those 23" alignment plates are well within the tolorance of the 1/8" at 24" setting.

I’m not following the math here, but it sounds like every 12” is 1/16”? So 48” sticks would be 1/4” toe in?

Reactions: Coadster32