How to bleed / replace your clutch fluid

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
And by clutch fluid I mean DOT 3 brake fluid.

Is this necessary? No. The clutch as a sealed system that seldom needs the fluid changed. In fact there's no mention of it in the FSM. Your master/slave cylinders are more likely to wear out before the fluid goes bad. It's interesting because typically you will find the master and the slave cylinder sold together as a sealed system with fluid already in it. That does not mean you can't change the individual parts though.

I however was on a fluid-changing frenzy when I did this so I figured I would try and tackle this fluid swap anyways.

There is technically a bleeder on the slave cylinder. This bleeder is also about as useful as the Italians were to their allies in WWII. In other words, pay no mind to it :) You'll be manually removing fluid from the reservoir.

Step 1. On the left side of the transmission locate the slave cylinder and remove the two 13mm nuts holding it to the bell housing. This applies to all years and models with any manual transmission.
964fbb33-055d-4f6c-b59d-e67ebe359315.jpg

Be careful while removing it. The line is plastic and while mine wasn't brittle, it wouldn't be hard to break. Don't let it hang down, there are places you can set the slave when you're not holding it.

Step 2. Remove the cap from the clutch master cylinder. Make sure to remove the rubber boot from the reservoir if it is not attached to the cap. Clean thoroughly and set aside.
9e9424d1-e578-4f99-ac42-9c25c68164e1.jpg

Step 3. Grab something like a turkey baster (DON'T let your wife catch you), an empty seal-able bottle, and suck all of the fluid out of the master cylinder. Dispose of said fluid into bottle. Here's a couple shots of my fluid, and while it was clean, it wasn't clear. I noticed some sediment in the bottom of the reservoir as well.
9b685c4c-18d8-4f1a-af80-6a7a18f29442.jpg

a2559160-52e3-4ec0-8f2e-9dd0a60202cc.jpg

Step 4. Once you've removed as much fluid as possible, use something like a microfiber cloth or an old tshirt and thoroughly clean out the inside of the reservoir. I like old tshirts because they don't seem to leave fibers behind. Your reservoir should now look something like this.
d49d0679-edca-4451-8430-1f5b8c29c5ec.jpg

Once clean, fill the reservoir to the fill line with fluid. Do not overfill, otherwise you'll pump brake fluid all over the place during this process. Ask me how I know.

Step 5. Go back down under the jeep and tilt your slave cylinder at a 45 degree angle, with the line facing up. Slowly pump the slave cylinder 20 times by hand. This in not hard to do.
3c8edef0-3c1d-4978-99db-9fc8338c98d1.jpg

If your reservoir is above the fill line, every time you push in on the slave, it will force fluid over the edge of the reservoir from being overfilled. So again, make sure you're only filling it to the line.

Repeat steps 3-5 three times. Every time you push in on the slave cylinder, it is forcing old fluid up and out of the line into the reservoir.

Step 6. At this point, since you've just finished pumping the slave cylinder for the last time, go ahead and reinstall it to the bell housing. Make sure that the piston sits in the designated groove on the clutch fork. Once you have the nuts started on the slave cylinder studs, use those to compress the piston as you tighten them. This will be much easier than trying to compress the slave cylinder by hand and trying to tighten the nuts at the same time.

Step 7. Empty the reservoir one final time, clean thoroughly, and fill with brake fluid to the fill mark. Your finished product will look like this both in the reservoir and in the line all the way to the slave cylinder.
62f8c815-41ce-4f44-84b6-c862f260fcf8.jpg

Reinstall the rubber boot into the master cylinder cap, and reinstall the cap on the master cylinder. Take a test drive by making sure all fluid collected is properly disposed of at your local auto parts store. You should be done!

Step 8. And for the love of God, thoroughly clean and return that turkey baster before your wife finds out! 😁

Is this necessary? No. The clutch as a sealed system that seldom needs the fluid changed. In fact there's no mention of it in the FSM. Your master/slave cylinders are more likely to wear out before the fluid goes bad. It's interesting because typically you will find the master and the slave cylinder sold together as a sealed system with fluid already in it. That does not mean you can't change the individual parts though.

I however was on a fluid-changing frenzy when I did this so I figured I would try and tackle this fluid swap anyways.

There is technically a bleeder on the slave cylinder. This bleeder is also about as useful as the Italians were to their allies in WWII. In other words, pay no mind to it :) You'll be manually removing fluid from the reservoir.

Step 1. On the left side of the transmission locate the slave cylinder and remove the two 13mm nuts holding it to the bell housing. This applies to all years and models with any manual transmission.
View attachment 102823
Be careful while removing it. The line is plastic and while mine wasn't brittle, it wouldn't be hard to break. Don't let it hang down, there are places you can set the slave when you're not holding it.

Step 2. Remove the cap from the clutch master cylinder. Make sure to remove the rubber boot from the reservoir if it is not attached to the cap. Clean thoroughly and set aside.
View attachment 102825

Step 3. Grab something like a turkey baster (DON'T let your wife catch you), an empty seal-able bottle, and suck all of the fluid out of the master cylinder. Dispose of said fluid into bottle. Here's a couple shots of my fluid, and while it was clean, it wasn't clear. I noticed some sediment in the bottom of the reservoir as well.
View attachment 102826

View attachment 102827

Step 4. Once you've removed as much fluid as possible, use something like a microfiber cloth or an old tshirt and thoroughly clean out the inside of the reservoir. I like old tshirts because they don't seem to leave fibers behind. Your reservoir should now look something like this.
View attachment 102828
Once clean, fill the reservoir to the fill line with fluid. Do not overfill, otherwise you'll pump brake fluid all over the place during this process. Ask me how I know.

Step 5. Go back down under the jeep and tilt your slave cylinder at a 45 degree angle, with the line facing up. Slowly pump the slave cylinder 20 times by hand. This in not hard to do.
View attachment 102834
If your reservoir is above the fill line, every time you push in on the slave, it will force fluid over the edge of the reservoir from being overfilled. So again, make sure you're only filling it to the line.

Repeat steps 3-5 three times. Every time you push in on the slave cylinder, it is forcing old fluid up and out of the line into the reservoir.

Step 6. At this point, since you've just finished pumping the slave cylinder for the last time, go ahead and reinstall it to the bell housing. Make sure that the piston sits in the designated groove on the clutch fork. Once you have the nuts started on the slave cylinder studs, use those to compress the piston as you tighten them. This will be much easier than trying to compress the slave cylinder by hand and trying to tighten the nuts at the same time.

Step 7. Empty the reservoir one final time, clean thoroughly, and fill with brake fluid to the fill mark. Your finished product will look like this both in the reservoir and in the line all the way to the slave cylinder.
View attachment 102838
Reinstall the rubber boot into the master cylinder cap, and reinstall the cap on the master cylinder. Take a test drive by making sure all fluid collected is properly disposed of at your local auto parts store. You should be done!

Step 8. And for the love of God, thoroughly clean and return that turkey baster before your wife finds out! 😁

Talk about timely. This is the one flush I have not performed yet. Thanks.

Reactions: Chris

View attachment 102823

View attachment 102825

View attachment 102826

View attachment 102827

View attachment 102828

View attachment 102834

View attachment 102838

Jamison, thanks for this write-up, I was just about to ask about fluid flush. If there's a bleeder on slave why can't this be used rather than removing and pumping fluid back to res? Thanks, Ken

This post is from the year 2019. You might not get a response?
Oh you of little faith 😉

Jamison, thanks for this write-up, I was just about to ask about fluid flush. If there's a bleeder on slave why can't this be used rather than removing and pumping fluid back to res? Thanks, Ken
From what I understand, the bleeder is there for manufacturing purposes. Something to do with the initial adding of fluid and it being a sealed system. It’s not designed to ever be removed without it ruining the slave cylinder.

Can you share any feedback from before and after you did this? Did you notice any better clutch feel or pedal response?

Reactions: teddill
Damn, brother, I have never seen a TJ engine bay that clean! Well done for looking after the thing. Also, write-up!

Wish had sein this before attempting to bleed my clutch.....tried gravity bleed no good tried old one pumping pedal me underneath same result no good except this time got mouth full of fluid....Will try this way nxt hastening get any clutch parts I'm uk for my 2.5 1998 tj is hard...have got one other question while wife pushing clutch pedal did notice (has was looking for bubbles) master cyl seems to flex a bit to right when pedal pushed (mines right hand drive ) is this normal...thanks in advance for any help regards dave from uk

View attachment 102823

View attachment 102825

View attachment 102826

View attachment 102827

View attachment 102828

View attachment 102834

View attachment 102838

I had always wished to have a Jeep TJ. Finally, after retiring, I have a 2000 TJ. Didn't even think about checking my clutch fluid and let it get too low. I have found this forum invaluable. Example... I used this step-by-step process to bleed the clutch slave, line, etc. Very easy to follow and worked perfectly. Thanks Jamison C!