How to build a cheap Dana 30 for 35s

Haha I haven’t done gears yet, that’s why I can’t go much above 65-70ish, (5 speed manual with 4.11’s and 37’s) but with the 4:1 case it runs about perfect for me in 4lo. But when I do do them, I’ll probably just do them myself
you're so brave haha. I've watched a bunch of walk throughs about doing them yourself but part of me is still intimidated. Just wanted your take on it. thanks again!

you're so brave haha. I've watched a bunch of walk throughs about doing them yourself but part of me is still intimidated.
That's an appropriate feeling. I assisted on my last regearing and it just further reinforced my opinion that there's far more to a regearing than most would suspect. Done imperfectly the new gears will be toast in short order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq
That's an appropriate feeling. I assisted on my last regearing and it just further reinforced my opinion that there's far more to a regearing than most would suspect. Done imperfectly the new gears will be toast in short order.
Yeah that's my main concern is that if i have any error, even with gentle test drives real damage will be done before i can prevent it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
you're so brave haha. I've watched a bunch of walk throughs about doing them yourself but part of me is still intimidated. Just wanted your take on it. thanks again!

I've helped a few times on race cars, but that was like over 20 years ago, my brother has done them a lot. I’d like to do them just to say I have but at this point in my life if he didn’t really want to, I wouldn’t be bothered taking it to a shop either

I've helped a few times on race cars, but that was like over 20 years ago, my brother has done them a lot. I’d like to do them just to say I have but at this point in my life if he didn’t really want to, I wouldn’t be bothered taking it to a shop either
Yeah i'd like to do it just to really know how it all works, but i'm deffinetly not above paying for it to be done right. my only issue is i can't find a shop that i would trust. Randy's ring & pinion has mixed reviews and they only don't allow customer furnished parts, so i'd be stuck with yukon. Right now my only lead is @Squatch knows a guy, who knows a guy :cool:

Yeah i'd like to do it just to really know how it all works, but i'm deffinetly not above paying for it to be done right. my only issue is i can't find a shop that i would trust. Randy's ring & pinion has mixed reviews and they only don't allow customer furnished parts, so i'd be stuck with yukon. Right now my only lead is @Squatch knows a guy, who knows a guy :cool:
If I had mine done it’d probably be from auburn car repair and offroad.

I try to know my limitations. Ring and pinion setups are beyond my limitations. If you choose gear ratios wisely, it's a one time cost...and well worth it.

Does he keep them in inventory or is that a custom shop sorta thing? thanks for the tip!

Huh, i'll have to check them out. I've scowered some local junk yard within an hour-ish of me but they either wanted way too much or the housing was damaged.
If you strike out down there let me know. I can head over to this place and check the status of what they have. I am 20min from them.

https://parts.pickapart.ca/
Screenshot_20191204-200508_Firefox.jpg

If I had mine done it’d probably be from auburn car repair and offroad.
That's good to know, i've saved their info.
If you strike out down there let me know. I can head over to this place and check the status of what they have. I am 20min from them.
That's really nice of you, I appreciate it. I'll let you know soon as I'm ready to pull the trigger and get serious about it. Probably after the holidays unfortunately.

Reactions: LieutenantJohnson