How to build a cheap Dana 30 for 35s

Justin Homan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So my Jeep is currently on 33’s and id like to go to 35’s soon. My current setup in my 30 is stovk everything with a Spartan locker and 4.56 gears. I like to wheel my Jeep so i want to make it tough enough for 35’s. My current list would be a truss, probably from jcr some c-gussets and a set of chromoly 27 spline shafts. Is there anything else ill need to do to make it work? The rest of the Jeep is already set up for 35’s.

Should be able to do it with just upgraded pads/rotors. I have upgraded to better pads / rotors on both jeeps and I towed a 1000# Tent trailer with no issues.

I slapped in a HP30 in my 97TJ. Never had an issue on 36s, aussie locked. No brake or shaft upgrade. For almost 7 years. If you can get your hands on a cheap HP30, it will be direct bolt in besides re-gearing and moving Spartan over. Worth it IMO. To get reverse cut stronger gears, larger ABS shafts (which you can put on a Dana 30 too) and the HP which gives you better angles on the front shaft

Reactions: Justin Homan
Looks lime the general consensus is brakes and shafts and maybe c-gussets. I already got a good set of brakes so some shafts and she should be good for them 35s

Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
No gussets or trusses are needed to run 35's all day long on a Dana 30 on very tough trails. Once you add a front locker just replace the shafts with 4340 27 spline shafts and you'll be good to go.

I finally broke a front factory shaft with 35's and lockers on a VERY tough trail (Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley CA) but never had any more problems with my Dana 30 after installing 4340 27 spline shafts with Spicer 5-760x u-joints.

Reactions: Justin Homan
Give John at Auburn Car Repair and OffRoad a call.
Does he keep them in inventory or is that a custom shop sorta thing? thanks for the tip!
there are 5 'Rokees right now at pick a part about 20min from the border at Sumas, WA
Huh, i'll have to check them out. I've scowered some local junk yard within an hour-ish of me but they either wanted way too much or the housing was damaged.

He just usually has that kind of stuff laying around, he may have one or so, may not but he’s usually worth a call.
Thanks! i'll shoot him a call.
On a side note Mumble, did you do your own gears or did you have them done? I see they also do gears.

Thanks! i'll shoot him a call.
On a side note Mumble, did you do your own gears or did you have them done? I see they also do gears.
Haha I haven’t done gears yet, that’s why I can’t go much above 65-70ish, (5 speed manual with 4.11’s and 37’s) but with the 4:1 case it runs about perfect for me in 4lo. But when I do do them, I’ll probably just do them myself

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ