How to Build a Jeep Yourself if You Don't Know How to Change a Tire

nmcneill15

Supporting Member
Just wanted to start this thread to say thanks...and share a few photos:)

The Jeep as I found it:

First some backstory. . . I moved to British Columbia, Canada from Mississippi a couple of years ago and quickly realized two things:
  1. There is a bazillion acres of public land to hunt on in BC. And you can hunt practically every big game species in North America here with a resident over-the-counter tag. Even sheep, which elsewhere require a second mortgage or (literally) winning the lottery. Seriously, BC is bigger than Texas and whereas Texas is 5/95% private/public land, BC is just the opposite at 95/5%. In Mississippi, I bowhunted whitetails a half mile behind my house (which meant I was almost to the neighbor's house), so this was an adjustment.
  2. To get to many of the good areas to hunt requires a capable vehicle. Sometimes any old 4x4 will do, but turn off down a deactivated forest service road or an old ATV trail and things get steep and deep quickly. No need for a rock crawler, but mud, rock, and snow are in abundance. I just drove through a couple of patches of two foot deep snow yesterday...yes, yesterday as in June 2nd yesterday.
Faced with this last fall (my first hunting season as a resident) I started searching for off road vehicles and ended up after a lot of searching and researching with a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with about 65K miles.

Before all this was set in motion, I was not only not a "car guy", I had literally never changed a tire. I had changed my own oil a couple of times back in college before I could afford to pay someone else to do it.

But the prospect of driving solo fifty miles into "the bush" (as they call it here) with no mechanical knowledge didn't sit well with me, so I decided to begin learning more about my jeep and doing more of my own work.

Which led me here. To this forum.

At first, I took small steps.

I added a Rockhard4x4 front bumper and a Smittybuilt synthetic line winch:

Then I added a roof rack so that I could mount a roof top tent:

I know, I know, the Smittybuilt rack that's made for the TJ is not great and it makes the TJ a little bit more top heavy, but I was/am going for Mobile Hunting Command rather than rock crawler.

Plus, it also helps with holding down Christmas trees:

I figured I could fit a lot of boned out meat in the back of the jeep, but that didn't leave much room for gear, so I also installed a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier and some additional storage for fuel, etc.

This, too is a decision I'm not totally sure of and I haven't gotten rid of all the sqeaks and rattles, but I can carry a bunch of stuff now.

And (as these things tend to go) adding some weight to the rear started another cycle. The rear was sagging a bit with the couple hundred pounds of extra weight I'd put on it and it made me examine what was underneath.

As I said, I didn't know much before starting this process, but I gradually pieced together that the previous owner had installed a budget lift that put the jeep 3 inches higher while retaining stock control arms. The only real accommodation was an extension bracket for the rear track bar. I also realized with the help of my brother-in-law (who is a real jeep guy and had built a YJ with a Chevy 454 and 46 inch tires to go wheeling in Alaska) that my stock rear drive shaft was causing some vibration at speed due to the new angle it was having to work at.

I looked into replacing just the drive shaft, but finally decided to go ahead and take the plunge and change out the lift kit.

Thanks largely to this forum, I ended up going with...drumroll please:
  • Currie 4" lift kit with double adjustable control arms
  • Currie adjustable rear track bar (trac bar? How exactly are you supposed to spell this?)
  • Currie Anti Rock front sway bar
  • Currie Currectlync steering (tie rod and drag link)
  • Rancho RS9000xl shocks
I started dismantling the rear while I was still waiting for parts.

Here's a picture of me holding up one of the first vital pieces of a vehicle's suspension that I'd ever taken off. I broke one of the upper shock bolts (like everyone does on the TJ) and using a small chisel to turn the broken bolt out of the nut that's welded to the frame was one of my first small victories as a garage mechanic:

And here's me removing the drive shaft (I think). Notice the crusty rear brakes and axle. I'll come back to that:

I had some time while I was waiting for parts and the brakes seemed like they were in bad shape, so I decided to open up another can of worms and start cleaning things up and taking things apart. I was also curious as to why my parking brake had never worked very well even after I (and the shop at one point) had adjusted it.

I pulled out all my brushes and cleaners and also decided to replace the brake pads and rotors. I also found out what was going on with the parking brake. Two parts of the arm that get pulled by the cable were seized together. After taking everything apart, cleaning it up, and adding brake grease it was moving freely again (and actually holds the jeep now). I also painted the axle while I had it disconnected from everything.

And the calipers...they are now RED (what other color do you paint calipers?)

Then the parts came in I started putting things back together. Things got complicated quickly. I think I installed the entire lift kit at least twice. I installed the rear springs three times. I felt like the first cave man who made fire after I tapped my first hole for the rear bump stops.

But I got it back together in the rear except for the shocks (which I was still waiting for) and moved to the front.

Same process, more or less, but with more moving parts. I also ended up replacing the front brake lines (thanks to a tip from this forum) with lines from an older model wrangler.

Then the fun began. Getting the steering installed and adjusted and getting all the angles right after the lift was a huge challenge for this mechanical neophyte.

I spent hours and hours reading threads on this forum...although I never posted until recently. I almost feel like drinking buddies with some of the forum members by this point (although I'll refrain from providing my guesses as to what kind of drinker each forum member is). It was a HUGE help to have people provide detailed write ups and precise instructions for how to make adjustments and what to look for after making them. It was like every problem I encountered had been discussed here...and usually solved.

I even had the satisfaction of having to correct the work of the local auto shop after they did an alignment. I had wanted them to check over my work since I didn't trust myself, but in the process, they adjusted the rear pinion angle several degrees too low. I had replaced the rear drive shaft with a custom double carden shaft from Tom Wood and the low angle was causing a driveline vibration. I adjusted the pinion back up to the same angle as the drive shaft and the vibration went away. I also ended up having to adjust the front drive shaft angle up a bit since I think they were trying to get the jeep to fit caster settings for a stock wrangler.

So here's the result (so far):

Thanks for everything guys. I'm still pretty ignorant of most aspects of my jeep, but you've really helped me gain a better understanding of what's going on from the trail to the body mounts.

A few thoughts for those similarly inexperienced who want to build a TJ:
  • This forum is your friend. Not every post is going to be golden, but if you follow it enough, you'll learn a lot and figure out who know what.
  • YouTube everything...but try to find people who are doing exactly the same thing you're trying to do. Sometimes the details matter.
  • Spend some time gaining general knowledge. I actually picked up a textbook on auto mechanics. The first chapter on how an engine works was like a revelation.
  • Follow the instructions...but use your head. Even with the Currie instructions, I found several errors and omissions that made a difference in installing certain components. You've got to understand what the part is supposed to do in order to install it correctly.
  • Start small. In retrospect jumping into an entire suspension rebuild was a big undertaking for someone with my (low) skill level. I spent days and days on what would have probably taken someone with more experience only hours. I was pretty wrecked at certain points, but it was awesome to see it come together.
  • Don't be afraid to open the can. It might be a can of worms or a can of whoop ass, but until you open it, you're not going to learn what's inside and you'll never know how to fix it if it breaks.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d97e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1336.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d97e.jpg

Just wanted to start this thread to say thanks...and share a few photos:)

The Jeep as I found it:
View attachment 97557

Welcome to the forum!

Not to discount all the work you've put into it, but your 'Jeep as I found it' photo above would probably win the Jeep of the Month photo contest...just sayin'... :unsure:

Wow, awesome build so far, amazing photos, and an even better story.

What line of work are you in that allowed you to move from the U.S. to Canada? Are you pursuing Canadian citizenship up there?

That's really cool about 95% of the land up there being open to the public. I'd love to do stuff like that down here in Oregon, but you really have to pay attention where you go, as almost all of the land is privately owned.

That’s a very cool story! Its one I’d love to bookmark in order to convince people they can build their rig. Kudos for reading and figuring it out. The gratification of doing it is awesome. It’s truly yours and not just a Jeep anymore. You can go pretty much anywhere in it. Jeep looks fantastic too! Happy hunting. Thanks for sharing

Great post! I did a similar build as you and pride myself in doing it all myself. My LJ goes on the alignment rack this week so hopefully they don’t screw it up! You should consider supporting the forums. I believe there is a button somewhere to throw @Chris a donation to help him run the site.

Where abouts in BC are you? I am in Pitt Meadows.

Reactions: Chris
Hey guys, I've been pretty heads down the last few months with work (@Chris, it's consulting for tech companies in the States) so I missed the last few comments. Sorry for the radio silence.

Oh, and I'm in Armstrong, BC and am now a supporting member of the forum.

I wanted to update you on a couple of things related to the build. But first, here's a video of me crossing the Albert river in the Kootenay Rockies here in BC to access some hunting land:

And another of climbing up the bank after crossing:

My thinking on the build tipped at a specific point in time.

Here was the point:

1573066825818.png

I was headed up a really rough trail and took a wrong turn up an even rougher trail with a two-foot-deep washout on one side. I got to a place where I couldn't go forward and when I tried to back up, I got pulled into the washout. My passenger side mirror was almost touching the far bank.

I was by myself fifteen miles from a paved road on a cold rainy morning. As I shuffled through the mud to winch myself out, I kept thinking about the hundred pound (the lightest I could find) rooftop tent that was perched right at the best leverage point to tip my jeep over. Plus, since the rack is attached to the frame in the back and to the body in the front, it always squeaked after a bit no matter how many times I tightened it.

But I had already started thinking about putting the Jeep on a diet. We went camping earlier in the summer and with the rack, the RTT, and four people in the jeep, we were hitting the bump stops through every rut on the way up a rocky trail to the summit.

1573066910656.png

I found myself shopping for heavier rear springs (even though I had the Currie springs designed for the LJ) and then started doing some math on the weight I'd added:
  • Front Bumper: 80 lbs (stock is probably only 25 lbs or so)
  • Winch: 65 lbs
  • Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier: 110 lbs (stock is probably only 25 lbs or so)
  • Cargo Basket Attached to Rear Bumper: ~50 lbs
  • Fuel Tank Mounts: ~40 lbs or so (20 lbs each)
  • Roof Rack: 100 lbs
  • Rooftop Tent: 100 lbs
Holy Cow! I'd added an additional 500 lbs on a vehicle with only 800 lbs of payload. And for good measure, I'd bolted a 48 inch Hi-Lift to the bumper too.

No wonder it was sagging. And it didn't leave much payload for deer meat.

The process is not complete, but Instead of continuing to beef up, I started to trim down.
  • Took off the RTT: -100 lbs
  • Took off the rack: -100 lbs
  • Took off the Hi-Lift (from what I've read, I could use the bottle jack just as effectively): -30 lbs
  • Took off the cargo basket for most applications (It's easy to take on and off): -50 lbs
  • Take out the rear seat when I don't need it for passengers: -70 lbs
  • Use a soft top vs the hard top. I do this in the summer and it is a huge (~100 lbs) difference but in the fall and winter the hard top is still more practical (read warmer).
This has atoned for about half of my sins. There are certainly other areas to explore, but they are more involved and/or require more tradeoffs:
  • Lose the bumper/tire carrier and go with a reinforcement to the stock tire bracket. But I do often need to carry extra fuel and sometimes need to carry extra cargo
  • Replace the stock doors with something lighter (they are like 50 lbs each I think)
  • Replace the stock tailgate with a lighter option (might lose 30 lbs or so)
  • Replace the full width front bumper with a stubby or even an aluminium option (more money)
There is a noticeable difference between the way the jeep drives heavy and the way it drives light. Take out the rear seat, take off the hard top and it feels like I'm driving a side by side...scrambling over obstacles that it would have had to lumber over before.

Here's the jeep as it stands now, without the rack, dressed in it's winter shoes and after two hours cleaning up after a week in the woods:

1573069526220.png

Oh, and my buddy and I both took a (tasty) deer after crossing the river. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. So much so, that we went out with our four boys the next day (when the video was taken) and I shuttled everyone across the river to hunt the area again.

1573069677739.png

It took several minutes to wipe the smile off my face and my dad stock spiked for the day (it's since settled back to normal).

Wow, that looks like a hell of a fun time, and some awesome pictures as well!

What you have right there is ROTM quality photos, I absolutely love them.

What size of tires do you run?
I run two sets of 33" tires. In the summer I run BFG Mud Terrain 305/75r16 and in the summer I run studded Goodyear Duratracs 285/70/r16.

The KM2s came with the jeep, but I spent a good deal of time deciding on the Duratracs. I wanted a tire that would be good on snowy paved roads (which we have for 3-4 months out of the year) but also be aggressive enough to tackle deep mud, deep snow, and big rocks. So far, the Duratracs have fit this bill. They are the ones I'm running in the videos above. They are winter snowflake rated so are legal on highways here in BC in the winter. The KM2s are just M+S, so I can't run them after Oct. 1st on the main highways.

Like every TJ owner ever, I've considered upgrading to 35s, but it seems like I'd be opening up another string of mods (axle shafts, brakes, body lift, etc.).

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I run two sets of 33" tires. In the summer I run BFG Mud Terrain 305/75r16 and in the summer I run studded Goodyear Duratracs 285/70/r16.

The KM2s came with the jeep, but I spent a good deal of time deciding on the Duratracs. I wanted a tire that would be good on snowy paved roads (which we have for 3-4 months out of the year) but also be aggressive enough to tackle deep mud, deep snow, and big rocks. So far, the Duratracs have fit this bill. They are the ones I'm running in the videos above. They are winter snowflake rated so are legal on highways here in BC in the winter. The KM2s are just M+S, so I can't run them after Oct. 1st on the main highways.

Like every TJ owner ever, I've considered upgrading to 35s, but it seems like I'd be opening up another string of mods (axle shafts, brakes, body lift, etc.).
Thanks! I’ll be stepping down from 35”s to 33”s as my Jeep is moving from trail to more daily driver. I’ve looked at Duratracs but hate seeing load range above C on them - thinking on settling on KO2 for the snowflake like you said and wet abilities.

Thanks! I’ll be stepping down from 35”s to 33”s as my Jeep is moving from trail to more daily driver. I’ve looked at Duratracs but hate seeing load range above C on them - thinking on settling on KO2 for the snowflake like you said and wet abilities.
I researched the KO2s as well and actually use those on my lifted Toyota Sequoia (we have 5 kids, so need something to get the whole family out as well).
1573086200069.png

It's a bit of a toss up between the KO2s and the Duratracs, but from my research, the Duratracs do a little better in snow, have a more aggressive pattern for mud, and can be studded for better traction on ice.

It's hard to compare the Sequoia and the Jeep (two very different rides) but the KO2s seem to have better highway manners and a quieter ride - just what I was looking for our DD family hauler.

Reactions: JMT
good thread about using Caprice wagon rear springs (Moog CC623)

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/more-unconventional-spring-lift-info-912302/
this link will not validate but the OP was tjthorson and search for More unconventional spring lift info

"I had to haul some cargo recently and was able to test those rear springs. over 1200lbs of cargo - all behind the back seat (50 retaining wall bricks) deflected the rear suspension about 2 inches - and it handled it all fine. I could feel it in the brakes - but there wasnt any stability or body roll issues at all."

Last edited:
Hi from the other coast! I spent some time working in Alberta and BC and the country out there is breath taking. I'm VERY jealous haha The hunting and fishing out there is some of the best IMO. Only thing we have here that even compares is striped bass. Deer hunting is in abundance here but there's not much sport in it, drop a pile of apples or carrots and then park your ass until something comes along...hopefully lol My buddy just got his first of the season a couple days ago. I'm actually frying up some deer burger as I type haha

Great job with the Jeep, it looks awesome!

Great thread, and great photos! I'll definitely be lurking on this one :)
Just something to consider, that rock hard bumper is 1/4" steel and is one of the heaviest bumpers I've ever encountered. I use to have it, and it looks/works great. But holy crap is it heavy, compared even to something 4-6" narrower and 3/16 steel. Just food for thought since I read you were trying to lighten the load (y) keep the awesome pic's coming!

Reactions: JMT