How to calibrate your speedometer using SpeedoHealer by HealTech

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I saw Chris's post on correcting speedometers on a 231, using a replacement gear. However, I didn't see one covering the SpeedoHealer™. If this has been covered before, my apologies!

If not, for those looking at a Super Short SYE on their 231, or those with a Rubicon 241 case, a plug and play option to correct the speedometer is the SpeedoHealer™ by HealTech. I've installed several of these and they have all been simple to install and incredibly reliable. Previously, they were sold by BlueMonkey Motorsports, who is no longer in business. They are now available through Poly Performance. The SpeedoHealer™ plugs directly into the factory harness on all TJ, LJ and XJ models.

https://www.polyperformance.com/hea...wrangler-04-06-tj-98-01-cherokee-xj-shv4a-j01
The installation was literally this simple:

- Order the SpeedoHealer™
- Take the SpeedoHealer™ out of the package
- Unplug the speedometer wire that goes into the transfer case
- Plug the SpeedoHealer™ into the transfer case
- Plug the factory wire into the SpeedoHealer™ pigtail
- Run the wire over the transfer case and up near the firewall (battery side)
- Follow the simple programming on the well written instructions
- Zip tie the SpeedoHealer™ wherever you want it to be
- Close hood and test drive

Note #1: Before doing the install make sure that you note, using a GPS, the speed that the speedometer is reading when your actual (i.e. real) speed is 60 MPH. Once you've done this you look up reading from your speedometer on the chart they provide. For example, my speedometer read 70 MPH, while my GPS said the actual speed was 60 MPH. I looked up 70 MPH on the chart, which gave me the "correction value" of 14.3%. I entered this number into the control unit and it worked perfect.

Note #2: The display on the SpeedoHealer™ control unit, pictured, only shows one number at a time, so you would then have to enter the correction factor in one number at a time. In my case, 1, then 4, then 3, giving me the needed 14.3% correction

Final Note: The entire install took me 30 minutes from start to finish. This included adding split loom tubing on the entire length of wire provided by HealTech. It also included more time than normal for running the wire from the transfer case to the firewall. It was more difficult in my case, because I have a 241OR case and ultra tummy tuck. This resulted in me not having much room to easily access running the wire. The total cost is around $150, plus a few feet of 3/8" wire loom tubing.

etlnW48.jpg

They're easy to use. I just calibrated mine on Thursday night to fix the speedo after installing 5.13s. I couldn't for the life of me get it to read correctly. I ended up erasing all the old data and started fresh. Worked perfectly after that.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and Irun
Thanks for this! I learned the hard way that the regular Speedo gears wont work in my Rubicon 241 transfercase (anybody want to buy a brand-new still in the package 33-tooth speedo gear and O ring?!) ..
Ordering now!

Reactions: Irun
I just ordered the Healtech speedo healer for my '05 LJ Rubicon. Was surprised how easy it was to install and calibrate. It worked great

Only the plug into the transfer case for power? Nice!

I have the SH but took one look at the Nth Degree tummy tuck transfer case skid and decided to wait.. Coming soon.

Reactions: Irun
Considering I've done 2 tire sizes and 2 gear ratios, all at different times, the speedo healer paid for itself in not having to buy a new gear each time.

I did one time, after going a couple weeks with a battery disconnected, go for a drive and find the speedometer reading zero. I just had to push the button to have it read out the currently programmed correction and it worked ever since. Like it just needed to be woke up or something.

Reactions: Irun and NOTNSUV
Only the plug into the transfer case for power? Nice!

I have the SH but took one look at the Nth Degree tummy tuck transfer case skid and decided to wait.. Coming soon.
Is this the plug I need to pigtail into? Too easy, didn't think I was that lucky.

I'll wait for my new gears and tires to go in so I only need to calibrate once (4.10 to 5.13 on 35s)

PXL_20211113_170445205.MP.jpg

This may be what I'm looking for to correct -5MPH reading after JB Conversions SYE kit and 33's.
Might just be me but I've played with mine multiple times, from 70 GPS/55 Speedo, entered the data, went through the procedure and still off 5mph. Many tries, many different speeds and I'm still 4-5mph off so gave up for the time being. I started of 15mph off so it's better but fine tuning just doesn't seem to be doable. Your results may vary.

This may be what I'm looking for to correct -5MPH reading after JB Conversions SYE kit and 33's.
You can get any cheap motorcycle speedometer corrector on ebay and wire it up. I think there's a healer V4 on ebay now for under $50. You just have to buy or make a harness. There are a few write ups including mine on how to make a harness and calibrate them. You can get them spot on pretty easy, ask if you have any questions.

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Will this work with a '97? If not plug and play how do I make it work?

If you don't plan on getting a super short SYE and only plan on doing this once, I would just change the speedo gear.

But, yes, it will work on a 97, and to make it work without a plug n play harness, you'll have to make your own based on the wiring diagram for your year...and unfortunately 97 is a little bit of a bastard when it comes to wiring changes mid-model year.