How to change differential fluid

Upstater

I learned that there are several types of differentials and the parts store have no clue. I was able to get a gasket for Dana 44 rear. Didn't know it was a 44 and neither did anyone else. Felpro RDS6629 gasket. Use Petmatex rtv gasket maker for differentials and transfer cases. Go ahead and purchase a cheap pump. I hade one that I use for outboard motor foot. You can't get oil into fill hole without pump. Everyone got the front wrong. I couldn't locate gasket so just used rtv. I used spray brake cleaner to wash gears for inspection. Took longer than expected because I spent so much time going back and forth to different parts stores. Should take about 3 hours if you have everything.
20170609_104310.jpg
20170609_110252.jpg
20170609_103444.jpg

RTV works excellent, no need for a gasket. To avoid using a pump for stock rigs simply lift the body via the bumper to gain room to the fill plug. Lifted rigs will have room as it sits. Makes getting to the upper cover bolts much easier, too.

Make sure to scrape off all the old rtv and wipe the surfaces with brake cleaner before applying new rtv.

Reactions: Upstater and StG58
Yep, mine is stock. I already had pump so it was handy. Also I didn't know it held so much oil. Permanent says wait 24 hours before adding oil. What's up with that.

Yep, mine is stock. I already had pump so it was handy. Also I didn't know it held so much oil. Permanent says wait 24 hours before adding oil. What's up with that.
Probably a standard recommendation. I have never waited more than several minutes and never had any leaking issues.

To avoid using a pump for stock rigs simply lift the body via the bumper to gain room to the fill plug. Lifted rigs will have room as it sits. Makes getting to the upper cover bolts much easier, too.

I have a about a 4.5" lift and there is not nearly enough room to drain an entire bottle of gear oil using the fill hole of the stock Dana 44 diff cover. I use a pump. It's fast and easy.

How often should you change differential fluid?

How often should you change differential fluid?

My owners manual says every 12k miles if you're wheeling it hard which is considered maintenance schedule B

Maintenance schedule A " mall hopping "
Is saying every 120K miles.
I personally change mine every 30k on all my vehicle's that require it.

Last edited:
My owners manual says every 12k miles.....same for rear.

Schedule B always seemed a bit extreme for most. I used to change every 30K, or if I forded water crossings, but I think you could go much longer between without any issues. Just my opinion.

I'm bumping mine interval up to every 50K. Makes it easier to remember where my odometer is at and all. Engine oil change every 5K. Speaking of oil, while I was looking thru my owner's manual, I noticed the PO used Delo 15w40 oil for the first 38,000 miles of my jeep's life. I'm second owner, so was just curious why he would use a diesel rated engine oil? I've been using 10w30 for the past 115K miles since I've owned it.

Reactions: jeepmanjerry
I'm bumping mine interval up to every 50K. Makes it easier to remember where my odometer is at and all. Engine oil change every 5K. Speaking of oil, while I was looking thru my owner's manual, I noticed the PO used Delo 15w40 oil for the first 38,000 miles of my jeep's life. I'm second owner, so was just curious why he would use a diesel rated engine oil? I've been using 10w30 for the past 115K miles since I've owned it.

Strange, when right on the fill cap in bold letters 10W-30. Seriously doubt it hurt anything though.

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
The guy who I call my offroad mentor uses diesel oil in his 98 cherokee. So does his dad and grandpa and 2 uncles and a couple of cousins. Says the zinc additive does wonders for an older inline 6. I swapped my 10w30 for Rotella 10w30 last oil change and Im pretty sure my MPG increased. Im new to the world of offroading. Impulse bought a 2003 TJ and its been a nonstop education since day one.

What do I need/what should I use to change both the Rear(44) and Front(30?) differential fluids. Gaskets? Type of gear oil? RTV? Part numbers? All would be helpful! Also any sticking points? Difficult areas? What to avoid?

Reactions: Lacie and JMT
What do I need/what should I use to change both the Rear(44) and Front(30?) differential fluids. Gaskets? Type of gear oil? RTV? Part numbers? All would be helpful! Also any sticking points? Difficult areas? What to avoid?
You would be a good canidate for a Factory Service Manual. :)

There is a quality write up right here with the information you are after:

You would be a good canidate for a Factory Service Manual. :)

There is a quality write up right here with the information you are after:

Good stuff thank you. Factory service manual might be of use[emoji12] but I have all of you fine people! Good video. Definitely helpful thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy who I call my offroad mentor uses diesel oil in his 98 cherokee. So does his dad and grandpa and 2 uncles and a couple of cousins. Says the zinc additive does wonders for an older inline 6. I swapped my 10w30 for Rotella 10w30 last oil change and Im pretty sure my MPG increased. Im new to the world of offroading. Impulse bought a 2003 TJ and its been a nonstop education since day one.
Can anyone else confirm this? I’m doing a fluid change today!