How to change your front inner axle seals on a Wrangler TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
While this write-up takes place on a Dana 30 front axle, the procedure should be nearly identical for a Dana 35 or Dana 44 axle as well. If you're mechanically inclined this isn't that bad of a job in all honesty. Just take your time, be patient and take breaks when needed (it always helps to clear your mind).

Step 1: Remove The Wheels, Calipers and Wheel Spacers
After jacking up the front end, the first step in the process was to remove the wheels and the front break calipers. Be careful, when removing the calipers, to not let them drop as they could pull loose the break lines. After removing them from the rotos, we placed them on top of the control arms. We also removed my wheel spacers which were holding on the rotors.
FCU76IDHCV91TX3.LARGE.jpg

Step 2: Remove The Rotors
After removing the calipers and the spacers, the rotors slide right off.
FS3ZMNYHCV91TXD.LARGE.jpg

Step 3: Remove The Hubs
The next step is to remove the three bolts holding on the hub. They are in a triangular pattern. Quick side-note - they should be torqued to 75 ft/lbs when re-attaching.
FRH0EN1HCV91TXV.LARGE.jpg

Step 4: Remove The Axle Shafts
After removing the 6 hub bolts from the axle shafts, they should both slide right out. So far, so good. And easy.
FO471BOHCV91TY3.LARGE.jpg

FC60LZ0HCV91TY6.LARGE.jpg

F0PJCNHHCV91TY5.LARGE.jpg

FKKAHJWHCV91TY4.LARGE.jpg

Step 5: Remove the Diff Cover
Now that the axles are out it's time to take apart the diff. We removed all of the bolts holding the diff cover on. Straightforward.
F090V2GHCV91TYK.LARGE.jpg

Step 6: Draining the Diff
After all the bolts are removed the diff cover must be pried away from the housing. If it was installed properly prior, it should still be held on by the gasket. To do this, we used a flat-head screwdriver and a mallet to open a crack in the gasket and then pry from there. Make sure to have the oil pan ready and don't pry too hard at first to prevent the oil from splashing. After opening the initial crack, we let it drain before prying it away completely.
FKEMUP8HCV91TYR.LARGE.jpg

Step 7: Diff Cover Removed
Once the draining stopped we removed the diff cover completely and placed it to the side next to the axle shafts. In the attached image I have pointed out the diff bearing caps. These pieces hold the diff bearings in which in turn hold the crown gear in place.

Some special notes here:

1) Though they look similar, the bearing caps must be re-attached exactly as they were. They are not interchangeable. We placed the driver side bearing next to the driver side shaft and the passenger side bearing next to the passenger side shaft. Also, note the direction in which the writing is facing (in this case reading upwards) so that they face correctly.

2) When the bolts are refastened, crank them to 45 ft/lbs.
FQZ5SCHHCV91TYZ.LARGE.jpg

Step 8: Remove The Bearing Caps And Crown Gear
After removing the bearing caps shown in the previous step there is nothing technically holding the crown gear in place accept it's own weight. To remove the crown gear, place a tire iron or pry bar back under the crown gear and pry up and forwards. Try to have someone helping here in case it lurches forward, but in our experience, it moved in fits and starts and was easy to take out in a controlled manner.

Also, note that the diff bearings sit on the crown gear by the weight of the gear. As you remove the gear, these bearings are likely to want to fall off, so be careful to hold them as the gear comes out.
FZUVJFIHCV91TZM.LARGE.jpg

FEGZGZJHCV91TZN.LARGE.jpg

FJ75EYBHCV91TZR.LARGE.jpg

Step 9: Remove Old Seals
After the diff housing is clear of gears it's time to take out the old seals. The easiest way to do this is to hammer them out from inside the tube. We used a breaker bar on the driver's side and a handle from a floor jack for the passenger side. The hammering required isn't that much and once the seals break free, they will fall right out from the inside.
FRY7S5IHCV91U05.LARGE.jpg

FQ68MAGHCV91U0F.LARGE.jpg

Step 10: Mourn For Old Seals
Once the seals are out you should place them on a flat surface and talk with your friends about how shot they look.
FNFKG8ZHCV91U0Q.LARGE.jpg

Step 11: Clean the Axle Tubes
With everything out, it's time to do some cleaning!

1) Wrap some shop towels around a metal rod (we used the handle to the floor jack) and you have yourself an axle tube cleaner. Spray brake cleaner all up in the tube and mop it out.

2) Spray brake cleaner all in the diff housing and use shop towels to make sure all the dirt and gunk is removed.

3) Use a wire brush on all your removed bolts. Make them look new! Cleaning the bolts is good preventative maintenance and cleaning the threads will allow the bolts to go back in easier.

4) Remove the old gasket sealant from the cover and housing. We used a die grinder, but you could also use a straight razor. This is an important step. The cleaner the surfaces are the better the new sealant will seal.

5) Specially clean the ends of the tubes from the inside of the housing as this is where the new seals will sit.
FCMVS32HCV91U1G.LARGE.jpg

FH5PCYIHCV91U1H.LARGE.jpg

Step 12: Place The Seals
After cleaning everything, grease the outside edges of the seals and place them inside the housing.
FF9F9KYHCV91U2Y.LARGE.jpg

Step 13: Create a Seal Pressing Tool and Press Them Seals
This next step is the hardest. You need to make yourself a tool to seat the axle seals. Take your seal to your nearest hardware store and find something that will fit inside the circumference of the axle seal but is still wide enough to sit on the inside lip of the seal. For us, this was a 1-1/4" piece of PVC joiner.

The original idea, pictured first and second, was to use an all-thread metal rod (1/2") and nuts and washers to push the PVC joiners apart from the inside and force the seals into place. However, it was very difficult to get the contraption and the seals into place correctly. And once we started tightening the bolts, the washers started to give. I imagine that if we had used more washers (3 maybe..) it might have worked, but it was still difficult to get the to sit straight.

What we ended up doing was cutting the rod in half, so we had one half of the original tool, and then getting a 48" long piece of 1/2" metal pipe. We tripled the washers on the single usable end, slid the pipe through the axle tubes over the end of the tool, and hammering the seals into place. The actual tool used is the third picture and hammering into place is the fourth.
FG3AN95HCV91U36.LARGE.jpg

F08I033HCV91U38.LARGE.jpg

F0TX4FWHCV91U39.LARGE.jpg

FB7020QHCV91U3A.LARGE.jpg

Step 14: Seals Are Pressed!
This isn't an actual step so much as a victory lap picture.
FQDVHQ4HCV91U41.LARGE.jpg

Step 15: Outer Axle Tube Seal Upgrade
While we were down there, I decided to add a bit of an upgrade by inserting axle tube seals. These keep gunk from getting into the axle tubes while wheeling. I assume this also helps the longevity of the inner seals.
F6ZGPGEHCV91U4K.LARGE.jpg

Step 16: Replace Crown Gear
Congrats, you're almost done! Now that the seals are in place, you put the bearings back on the crown gear and lift it back into the housing. This is a bit tricky as the bearings will want to come off the crown gear, but hold them on as you lift the gear into the housing. It really helps to have a friend for this step (and for this whole process). Then replace the caps exactly as they were.

Notice the cleaning of the housing surface!! The edge of the cover should look clean and shiny in the same way!
FIJV5BKHCV91U4T.LARGE.jpg

FLSTCQFHCV91U4U.LARGE.jpg

Step 17: Replace Axle Shafts
Now lift the axle shafts back into place. They should slide in freely. If they don't, it probably means the crown gear and bearings are not pushed back into place far enough. This happened to us. But once properly placed, the shafts should go in no problem.
FIFKT7WHCV91U5H.LARGE.jpg

Step 18: Replace Everything Else!
Unfortunately, I did not take pictures from this point forwards, by accident. I'm sorry!

But it is pretty simple from here. Screw the hubs back in and replace the rotos, calipers and wheels. Put gasket maker around the lip of the diff cover and let it set for about ten minutes, until it gets tacky. Then put two screws through the cover, from the outside, as you lift it back onto the housing. Use these two screws to guide the cover back into place. Once it's on, you don't want it moving around as the seal sets, so using these two guide screws allows you to place the cover right the first time. Hand tighten all the cover bolts and then go around in a circle with your ratchet to tighten them all. Wipe away any sealant from the outside and refill your diff with diff oil. We used a pump for this. Pour oil in until it just starts to dribble out, and then replace the filler cap.

Done!

Great write up....is there a better brand seal to use? OEM, crown, OMIX-ADA, timken, dana? any other items that should be done at same time, I also going to do u-joints. are there outer dust shields on the axle that should be replaced?

So I just replaced my upper and lower ball joints as well as the axle u joints and the unit bearing. It was not terribly difficult, just time consuming. Of course never having done this before the first side got assembled and dis-assembled a couple of times, the second side went together without a hitch. The axle nut is 36mm, the three unit bearing bolts are 13mm 12 points. So I get it all taken apart on the second side and realize that the inner axle seal is leaking. They will be ordered tomorrow and I will, yet again, disassemble everything I just put together and replace the inner seals as well...... not real crazy about taking the diff. out..... speaking of which, how is the Rubi different then what is pictured? How does the airline connect?

FireJeep... I just did the exact same thing as you. Fought drivers side ball joints one solid day (along with unit bearing), stared at my original u-joints while the axle was lying next to me but put it back in anyway. Went to start wire brushing and PB Blasting the passenger side and realized my inner axle seal was also shot as it took me an hour to clean the caked muck off the whole hub. Ordered seals, u-joints and the outer axle seals to replace those worthless dust caps.

Anyway I did everything by myself including taking the differential out. I had absolutely no problems in doing so and didn't think it was as heavy as I thought it would be. Just take your time and don't rush tapping the new seals in, make sure everything is aligned good before whacking. Can't speak on the Rubicon differences.

Reactions: FireJeep
On the 1999 I just bought I noticed it has some fluid seepage coming out the end of the axle tube. The previous owner had a high pinion 30 installed with new gears, and all new seals. It’s only got maybe 5000 miles on it. I was thinking about just putting one some of those upgraded tube seals to keep it from seeping out? What do y’all think? Is that a bad idea....should I pull it all apart and inspect it? I really didn’t want to open up the diff If I could avoid it.

Reactions: Ron Hall
Is it the stock differential cover? Check that its not overfilled and that your vent tube isn't clogged.
I think most people use the outer axle seals to keep mud and grime out and not fluid in. I would want to know if my seals were leaking. It isn't that hard to change them anyway. It looks like a big job but only takes a few hours. The worst part is the gear oil smell.

Reactions: FishinSam
On the 1999 I just bought I noticed it has some fluid seepage coming out the end of the axle tube. The previous owner had a high pinion 30 installed with new gears, and all new seals. It’s only got maybe 5000 miles on it. I was thinking about just putting one some of those upgraded tube seals to keep it from seeping out? What do y’all think? Is that a bad idea....should I pull it all apart and inspect it? I really didn’t want to open up the diff If I could avoid it.

Yes, it's a bad idea. It will hide the leak but fill the tube with gear lube, that should be in the diff. causing the level in the diff to be low. Those outer seals are really too keep water, etc out. Some like them, some hate them.

If it's just seeping, it may be residual oil. Clean it up, check level and monitor for a while.

Reactions: Xposure
Yes, it's a bad idea. It will hide the leak but fill the tube with gear lube, that should be in the diff. causing the level in the diff to be low. Those outer seals are really too keep water, etc out. Some like them, some hate them.

If it's just seeping, it may be residual oil. Clean it up, check level and monitor for a while.

I checked the level in the diff and it’s full. I just noticed a little had come out over a 300 mile period. Basically there is a small run from the tube and a couple drips worth we’re sitting on the area below the tube opening.

So should the tube be dry? Only the diff has fluid? So if there is any fluid in the tube it’s a issue with the inner seal between the diff and tube?

. . . I was thinking about just putting one some of those upgraded tube seals to keep it from seeping out? What do y’all think? Is that a bad idea. . . ?

You have to pull the axle shafts to install the tube seals (which as others have noted are to keep water/debris out, not to hold oil in, and the object of both praise and derision). If you are going to open things up you might as well do the job properly and replace the seals. However, as others have also noted, the oil seeping out may be residual gear oil from prior work or due to overfilling and/or the result of a clogged vent. Always check the easy stuff first.

Since your jeep is new to you, my recommendation is that you thoroughly detail it top and bottom so that you can see exactly what you have, note all issues, rattles, squeaks, and leaks on a clipboard, keep that clipboard handy and add to your list as new items are discovered, monitor everything for a few weeks and note changes, then develop a comprehensive plan of attack for updating maintenance and resolving problems before you start buying parts.

You have to pull the axle shafts to install the tube seals (which as others have noted are to keep water/debris out, not to hold oil in, and the object of both praise and derision). If you are going to open things up you might as well do the job properly and replace the seals. However, as others have also noted, the oil seeping out may be residual gear oil from prior work or due to overfilling and/or the result of a clogged vent. Always check the easy stuff first.

Since your jeep is new to you, my recommendation is that you thoroughly detail it top and bottom so that you can see exactly what you have, note all issues, rattles, squeaks, and leaks on a clipboard, keep that clipboard handy and add to your list as new items are discovered, monitor everything for a few weeks and note changes, then develop a comprehensive plan of attack for updating maintenance and resolving problems before you start buying parts.

The Jeep is very detailed and super clean, it was barely driven. I’m basically doing as you suggested and making notes as we drive it and inspect it of things I need to look into and address.....which there isn’t all that much, the previous owner took really good care of it.

Okay, I got in touch with the previous owner today and he confirmed with me that all the seals and everything in diff/axle are all brand new. He said that when installing the front diff/axles he significantly overfilled the diff and it pushed out into the tubes and onto his garage floor and that most likely what I’m seeing is some residual remaining fluid that has been in the tubes and working it’s way out. He said especially because I’m driving it much more than he had been. So I’m just going to keep an eye on it and see if it drys up in the tubes with still having proper diff level.

This being that the tubes are supposed to be dry how does the axle bearing stay lubricated? Is it a sealed bearing that has its own lubricant inside? Are there any draw backs to the upgraded tube seals aside from not being able to tell if your diff is leaking into the axle tube? You mentioned some people do not like them.

Thanks!

Park like this to expedite the fluid running out. :D
20180719_164134.jpg

Yes, the outer bearings are sealed units.
The outer seals are a preference thing based on individual beliefs and the environment you wheel in. There's pros and cons. If your not buried up to your axles in mud or water your probably best of without them. I'm sure someone with strong opinions will be along to expand on that. :)

Reactions: Octavio Lizarraga
Park like this to expedite the fluid running out. :DView attachment 48755

Yes, the outer bearings are sealed units.
The outer seals are a preference thing based on individual beliefs and the environment you wheel in. There's pros and cons. If your not buried up to your axles in mud or water your probably best of without them. I'm sure someone with strong opinions will be along to expand on that. :)

Well I plan on doing trails but there are times I'll need to go through mud or somewhat shallow creeks like a foot or so. That's why I thought they may provide decent protection.

So my axles seals that I put in two years ago began leaking, it may be due to not having this plastic washer in the right spot. Once the differential is out so the plastic washers go in the tubes to support the axle during installation or on the inside o the axle seal closer to the differential? TIA

Is it not important to verify backlash? Some comments/tutorials mention it while others don't.

Edit: reading STG's thread now, what a great writeup

Last edited: