How to change your OPDA

Howella66442

Also, once you get the OPDA out, shine a flashlight down the rabbit hole and look T the camshaft gear. If your OPDA gear is jacked up, there is a chance your camshaft gear is as well. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this involves a new camshaft.

Reactions: pagrey

rasband

Tranny Swap Club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I just received these from the guy I trans swapped with. Figured they're worth the share so people know what to look at in cheap replacement - this has a 2014 manufacturing date printed on whatever brand it is. His PO swapped it.

You can test for this without even pulling the OPDA by removing the plastic cover and pulling up on the plate. If it moves more than maybe 1/16" you know it's worth pulling to check.

It appears this is a dorman OPDA. One of the stickers: 689-201

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

Last edited:

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I just received these from the guy I trans swapped with. Figured they're worth the share so people know what to look at in cheap replacement - this has a 2014 manufacturing date printed on whatever brand it is. His PO swapped it.

You can test for this without even pulling the OPDA by removing the plastic cover and pulling up on the plate. If it moves more than maybe 1/16" you know it's worth pulling to check.

It appears this is a dorman OPDA. One of the stickers: 689-201

View attachment 348650

View attachment 348651

View attachment 348652

For those that may not have the same spatial assessment skills as others, the amount of wear that the drive gear caused on the bottom of the housing is just slightly less than what it would take to disengage the lower end from the oil pump. Had it kept going much more, he likely would have smoked the engine due to lack of oil pressure.

freedom_in_4low

Sacred Order of the Coil Spring
Supporting Member
Yikes! Anybody else seen this happen on their dorman OPDA? Wonder how many people have preventatively replaced a Mopar OPDA with one of these only to jump from the frying pan into the fire?

rasband

Tranny Swap Club
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'd be worried about what's in all the bearings and such, but this is what came out from the oil pan. I don't think that housing is magnetic either, so no way to catch the nuggets aside from a few early oil changes and a prayer.

IMG_20220807_144321.jpg