How to clean your IAC (Idle Air Controller) valve

Hmmm, that's odd... Sounds a lot like @Tbird Clair's problem!

My check engine light always flickered during "episodes" The idle control valve is what I replaced first... Apparently that wasn't it...

PS: I had the aftermarket/factory "reboxed" TPS replaced as of Monday with a Mopar TPS (via your Amazon link) [emoji6]and the shop reimbursed me the $120 for part they originally installed... Only time will tell, but we've got our fingers, toes, and paws crossed!

Reactions: Kyle_W and Chris
My check engine light always flickered during "episodes" The idle control valve is what I replaced first... Apparently that wasn't it...

PS: I had the aftermarket/factory "reboxed" TPS replaced as of Monday with a Mopar TPS (via your Amazon link) [emoji6]and the shop reimbursed me the $120 for part they originally installed... Only time will tell, but we've got our fingers, toes, and paws crossed!

Sounds like the shop did the right thing!

Hopefully that ends up being what it was!

Reactions: Tbird Clair
This morning (the real test since my engine was cold) my engine started out at 1,000rpms idling. Wayyy too rough.

After that bottle of TB cleaner - I'm thinking that XP985 spark plugs are next on my list.

I don't like ANY of the cheap ass gapping tools that flood the market. Any high quality gapping tools y'all recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning (the real test since my engine was cold) my engine started out at 1,000rpms idling. Wayyy too rough.

After that bottle of TB cleaner - I'm thinking that XP985 spark plugs are next on my list.

I don't like ANY of the cheap ass gapping tools that flood the market. Any high quality gapping tools y'all recommend?

That's a good thing to replace (the spark plugs).

Honestly though, I just use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002STS2Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've never had any issue with it, works just like it should.

Gotcha, thank you!

What else could be the problem? Just start going down the line and replace my TPS and other relevant components?

Honestly, without a check engine light it's pretty much impossible to know (aside from just slowly replacing everything you can). But aside from spark plugs, next I would probably start with the TPS sensor.

Though if it was me I may just wait until a check engine light comes on.

Reactions: Kyle_W
Honestly, without a check engine light it's pretty much impossible to know (aside from just slowly replacing everything you can). But aside from spark plugs, next I would probably start with the TPS sensor.

Though if it was me I may just wait until a check engine light comes on.

Roger that.

Yes there is a gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. And yes the IAC will have an o-ring on it.

That said, I don't believe there's any need or benefit to removing the throttle body to clean the IAC. And seldom does the IAC actually need to be removed from the throttle body to clean it very effectively. I feed TB cleaner into the TB while the engine is idling and the IAC will draw the TB cleaner in through itself, cleaning itself in the process. It will not suck the TB cleaner in unless the engine is idling, so don't rev the engine during the cleaning process. The engine will die repeatedly during this process since the cleaner is flooding the inside of the IAC but that's fine and actually good, it gives the cleaner more time to clean. Just restart the engine after it dies.

I try to use a third of the can cleaning the IAC at idle RPMs, then finish the can by spraying the inside of the TB while revving the engine a bit. Every so often I'll let it idle and spray more cleaner at the passage inlet slot the IAC draws its air through, just to make sure the IAC is perfectly clean.

The IAC's air passage inlet is just above the throttle body's valve plate in this illustration...

View attachment 14111
I am going to do this today. I have some carb cleaner, would that be ok to use?

I am going to do this today. I have some carb cleaner, would that be ok to use?
Me personally, I would go and buy TB cleaner from the auto store. The one that I bought had specific instructions saying to spray it into the throttle intake. Which made me feel better, knowing i'm not gonna mess anything up.

Reactions: Travis
Me personally, I would go and buy TB cleaner from the auto store. The one that I bought had specific instructions saying to spray it into the throttle intake. Which made me feel better, knowing i'm not gonna mess anything up.
I was thinking along those same lines. How did it work out for you? You took off the hose and sprayed the cleaner straight in right?

I was thinking along those same lines. How did it work out for you? You took off the hose and sprayed the cleaner straight in right?

Yes - Jerry is the one who gave me those instructions. So we know its right! :D

I took off the intake tube, and gave quick bursts of TB cleaner into the idle air slit that's right above the throttle valve. Then, I sprayed a bunch on top of the throttle valve and revved my engine. I did this until the bottle was empty.

The first few sprays made my engine die, then I couldn't get my engine to die at all. Which I assume means the cleaner worked.

Also, I could literally hear my engine quiet down and smooth out while I was spraying the TB cleaner it. Another sign that I assume it worked!

Thanks @Jerry Bransford & @Nashorn101, for the information. Easy Peasy. Mine was pretty gunked up arlund the sides, and I have been experiencing some surging from time to time. That is gone now, which is great because it was happening at inoppurtune times. Here's a couple pics.

20170415_114612.jpg

20170415_115941.jpg

Like @Nashorn101 said, you can actually hear the idle getting smoother as you appy the cleaner, I smiled when I heard that.

I have the exact same one as this post. Can I use a can of carb cleaner/ choke cleaner on this??

I wouldn't personally. I won't use carb cleaner because it's not really designed for engines with 02 sensors, so not many of them are designed to be "sensor safe" like throttle body cleaners are. I'm not saying you can't use it, I'm just saying that I prefer to be safe as oppose to sorry.