How to clean your IAC (Idle Air Controller) valve

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread and the very knowledgeable folks on this forum. I completed the IAC and throttle body cleaning today with great success. IAC was removed for cleaning, but not the throttle body. A couple before & after pics:

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

Reactions: khakitj and RussTJ
Thank you everyone for such a great forum!! I did the IAC today, but the top nipple came off to expose a screw and spring, with some lithium grease in there. I don't think I was suppose to disassemble it, but it went back together......I guess. Took off and cleaned throttle body, that went well. Ordered a new IAC, considering the original equipment on the entire vehicle is 19 years old, so it won't hurt to pop in a new $20 part, plus I may have messed it up. Also ordered a new a new MAP sensor and TPS and Coil Pack for good measure. Got them from 1A Auto, links embedded. Reviews looked decent and the prices were the best I could find. Anyone use this online parts store before??? Figure I will pop on the new coil pack when I do plugs Tuesday evening, got Plugs Jerry B. recommended.

While I might be replacing good parts with new, I figure some easy bolt on components are easy for me to do, and a tune up is always a good thing!

It has been interesting working on the vehicle, a learning experience, and I am really getting a better understanding of the Jeep. I will continue to get more ambitious, and have purchased some more tools, and there is great satisfaction in doing work myself!

If you're experiencing idle issues on your Jeep Wrangler TJ the most likely culprit (and the first thing you should check) is your IAC (Idle Air Controller). Often times the IAC gets very gunked up causing the Jeep to idle improperly. A simple cleaning is usually all it takes to get it running as good as new.

If you end up needing to replace your IAC valve (they do fail on occasion), you can find the part numbers (and the links to purchase them on Amazon) below:

2005-2006 IAC Valve (Part # 4861552AC)
1997-2004 IAC Valve (Part # 4874373AB)

There is no need at all to remove the throttle body to clean the IAC. This is probably one of the easiest and cheapest things you can do.

Below you'll see a diagram of the top of your throttle body with the IAC sensor labeled.

View attachment 14140

Take your IAC off (it's held on by two small torx screws). Clean it with your throttle body cleaner, this is what it will look like before and after.

View attachment 1798

View attachment 1799

Then take off the IAC housing and both sides (house and throttle body). clean that too. before and after...

View attachment 1800

View attachment 1801

View attachment 1802

Put it all back together and you're good to go. Very, very simple. It doesn't get any easier than this!
Chris, would this be a reason why my '99 TJ wont idle if i hot-start? My Jeep drives fantastic, isnt over heating, cranks strong when it cranks, but if ive driven for an hour or so solid and shut the engine off, it wont crank back for a good while.

Chris, would this be a reason why my '99 TJ wont idle if i hot-start? My Jeep drives fantastic, isnt over heating, cranks strong when it cranks, but if ive driven for an hour or so solid and shut the engine off, it wont crank back for a good while.
Let me clairify, if i give a little throttle, it WILL crank under this circumstance, but as soon as i let off of the throttle(in neutral/with clutch engaged) it idles all the way down to zero and dies. After i play this game with it about 10 times, it will finally idle at about 200 RPM, where i can drive around the parking lot for a minute, then it bumps back up to 800ish RPM and everything is like normal again

You're saying after a driving it for a while, you turn it off, then go to start it again, but it won't turn over, crank, or anything while it's still hot?

You're saying after a driving it for a while, you turn it off, then go to start it again, but it won't turn over, crank, or anything while it's still hot?
It rolls over and over but will not fire unless i give it a little throttle, then it wont idle.

It rolls over and over but will not fire unless i give it a little throttle, then it wont idle.

I'd start with the IAC first since it's easy and free.

Have you scanned it to check for error codes?

I heard of an issue like this recently and it turned out to be the CPS had gone bad. Though usually when things like that go bad, they throw check engine lights / codes.

I'd start with the IAC first since it's easy and free.

Have you scanned it to check for error codes?

I heard of an issue like this recently and it turned out to be the CPS had gone bad. Though usually when things like that go bad, they throw check engine lights / codes.
I scanned it before and it didnt throw anything but ill try again. Ill also look into the IAC. Im also going to replace the coolant temp sensors this weekend and see if that helps.

Reactions: Chris
I scanned it before and it didnt throw anything but ill try again. Ill also look into the IAC. Im also going to replace the coolant temp sensors this weekend and see if that helps.

Sounds like a plan! Be sure to use OE Mopar sensors or else they'll give you trouble!

Post up the results when you're done.

Sounds like a plan! Be sure to use OE Mopar sensors or else they'll give you trouble!

Post up the results when you're done.
I changed the ECTS and cleaned the IAC this morning and it seems tp be doing good around town but i havent been off anywhere yet. Im going from Atlanta to Blairsville next weekend so fingers crossed

Just saw this thread, I just happened to have done this a couple of weeks ago and it also fixed my idle issue, It wanted to cut off before.
I found some video's on YouTube. One thing that may be relevant is one video suggested to disconnect the battery during this process, it stated that if you don't you could end up with a check engine light that will need to be cleared. I did and had no issues.
Great simple fix, Thanks.

If you're experiencing idle issues on your Jeep Wrangler TJ the most likely culprit (and the first thing you should check) is your IAC (Idle Air Controller). Often times the IAC gets very gunked up causing the Jeep to idle improperly. A simple cleaning is usually all it takes to get it running as good as new.

If you end up needing to replace your IAC valve (they do fail on occasion), you can find the part numbers (and the links to purchase them on Amazon) below:

2005-2006 IAC Valve (Part # 4861552AC)
1997-2004 IAC Valve (Part # 4874373AB)

There is no need at all to remove the throttle body to clean the IAC. This is probably one of the easiest and cheapest things you can do.

Below you'll see a diagram of the top of your throttle body with the IAC sensor labeled.

View attachment 14140

Take your IAC off (it's held on by two small torx screws). Clean it with your throttle body cleaner, this is what it will look like before and after.

View attachment 1798

View attachment 1799

Then take off the IAC housing and both sides (house and throttle body). clean that too. before and after...

View attachment 1800

View attachment 1801

View attachment 1802

Put it all back together and you're good to go. Very, very simple. It doesn't get any easier than this!
260k on my 03 Sahara and the idle had gotten low and rough over the last couple of months. Pulled the throttle body and disassembled the IAC. Cleaned everything up and it's idling like new. Thanks!

Pulling the throttle body is about a 3 minute job and makes disassembly and cleaning much easier. And no screws dropped into oblivion.

260k on my 03 Sahara and the idle had gotten low and rough over the last couple of months. Pulled the throttle body and disassembled the IAC. Cleaned everything up and it's idling like new. Thanks!

Pulling the throttle body is about a 3 minute job and makes disassembly and cleaning much easier. And no screws dropped into oblivion.

Glad that did the trick :)