How to convert an OEM center console storage container into a subwoofer enclosure

Kedzie

I converted my OEM storage center console into a subwoofer enclosure after mounting my amp under steering column .

finished_insert.jpg

My Jeep did not come with the center console subwoofer; it came instead with the polyurethane storage container. I considered making an MDF enclosure to fit inside the center console but the storage container seemed too perfect in size/shape. The material is also pretty thick plastic that could make a fine speaker enclosure. I thought it could work if I could mount a recessed subwoofer bracket, some terminals, and seal the enclosure while maintaining storage. Sealing the container while maintaining storage was solved by combining the storage container with the insert from a TJ console which came with a factory subwoofer.

parts.png

I started by drilling out the rivets and removing the white plastic center storage container from the storage center console. I purchased the top insert from a TJ subwoofer center console off Ebay. I did this to still have some storage after the job is done and to seal the OEM storage compartment. Combining the storage container and the subwoofer console insert made a perfect subwoofer enclosure.

First I cut a hole and mounted a speaker terminal with RTV silicone:

terminal.jpg

I made a jig myself to cut the recessed bracket to mount my speaker.

circle_template.jpg

I tried finding a recessed bracket on Amazon but only found MDF in the wrong size. Plywood is much stronger for such a small part. I cut it custom to fit my Kicker 8" shallow mount sub:

recess_bracket.jpg

I was forced to cut the recess mount in half to fit inside the hole i made in the storage insert. I then reassembled it inside the container using metal brackets. I mounted the brackets before cutting the recess to make sure it would reattach at the same exact diameter. I used the thinnest jigsaw blade I had to make the cut. I then used gorilla glue to fill the empty space when reconnecting the recess inside the container. Gorilla glue expands a lot to fill the space, which is why I used it. I use RTV silicone to seal around the recess.

guts.jpg

Next I filled the space will Polyfill, to dampen vibration, before sealing the subwoofer insert onto the enclosure using RTV silicone

finished_insert_markup.jpg

I then mounted it to the center console using automotive panel fasteners where the existing (drilled-out) rivets were. (in this pic not mounted yet so speaker is sitting low)

finished_assembled.jpg

The terminals are still accessible from below even when attached to the center console. I bring it to the car and install! It bumps!

finished_incar.jpg

Here is the YouTube video:

Well done! You did a way better job than I did with mine. One suggestion to dampen vibes would be to add some Boom Mat to the outside surfaces of the white poly enclosure. And, instead of using the Xmas tree clips, use sheet metal screws. It will hold the storage compartment top in tighter. Once again, nice job sir!

Reactions: Reign Mack
Ya there is some movement in the console lid. Thinking about what to do about that.

You could try using this stuff on the lid and other points of vibration.
$_32.jpg
I would also shorten those grey cables and wrap them with tesa tape as they look like they could slap. there is also the point where the speaker meets with the grille on the side of the console, you will have plastic on plastic contact there.

you may be getting flapping because the volume of the enclosure is not enough for woofer, could try making sure its completely sealed (with no ports) and dampening the walls inside the enclosure
51a-FXZXWmL._SL1024_.jpg

Kicker 8" CompRT 2 Ohm DVC subwoofer
MIN SEALED BOX VOL [0.2 cu. ft, 5.66 L]
MIN SEALED Ported VOL [0.8 cu. ft, 22.7 L]

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73
You could try using this stuff on the lid and other points of vibration.
View attachment 136475
I would also shorten those grey cables and wrap them with tesa tape as they look like they could slap. there is also the point where the speaker meets with the grille on the side of the console, you will have plastic on plastic contact there.

you may be getting flapping because the volume of the enclosure is not enough for woofer, could try making sure its completely sealed (with no ports) and dampening the walls inside the enclosure
View attachment 136481

Kicker 8" CompRT 2 Ohm DVC subwoofer
MIN SEALED BOX VOL [0.2 cu. ft, 5.66 L]
MIN SEALED Ported VOL [0.8 cu. ft, 22.7 L]

Didn't think about the cables. Good idea. Also interested in covering the storage compartment. The filling definitely helps; I already have some in there. Could experiment with more.
Well done! You did a way better job than I did with mine. One suggestion to dampen vibes would be to add some Boom Mat to the outside surfaces of the white poly enclosure. And, instead of using the Xmas tree clips, use sheet metal screws. It will hold the storage compartment top in tighter. Once again, nice job sir!

I lik we the boob mat idea. The screws are tougher because there is nothing to screw into. So it had to be some kind of rivet from the top. The xmas is best I could find.

I covered both the box the sub is in, and the console tray with the sound deadening material. It helped tremendously with the rattling.
20200120_191730.jpg20200120_193856.jpg

I also pus some on the passenger side of the center console.
20200120_193844.jpg

To stop the lid from rattling, I ran a screw up in the hole on each side by the lock mechanism. That let me adjust the stop so the lid was tight when the latch caught.
20200125_163132.jpg

I noticed the rubber stopper pads where missing on yours in your photo. This is where the screws from above make contact to keep the lid snug. I purchased replacements at Advanced. (They were with the screws and trim parts. )
20200125_163106.jpg

To attach the instead of the Xmas tree clips, might I suggest clip nuts. They are with the trim screws at Advanced. They give you a metal clip that slides over or behind the holes on the console tray & will let a metal screw pull up tight in them.
20200125_164819.jpg20200125_164837.jpg

Last edited:
I covered both the box the sub is in, and the console tray with the sound deadening material. It helped tremendously with the rattling.
View attachment 136497View attachment 136498

I also pus some on the passenger side of the center console.
View attachment 136499

To stop the lid from rattling, I ran a screw up in the hole on each side by the lock mechanism. That let me adjust the stop so the lid was tight when the latch caught.
View attachment 136501

I noticed the rubber stopper pads where missing on yours in your photo. This is where the screws from above make contact to keep the lid snug. I purchased replacements at Advanced. (They were with the screws and trim parts. )
View attachment 136500

Was wondering what those holes were for.

Thanks for all the advice! I managed to fix all the vibration using boom mat, clip nuts and rubber bumper stops for console lid.

I fixed the console lid vibration by adding rubber bumper stops and adding boom mat where the lid attaches to the console (thanks @GaTechTJ):

20200208_180747.jpg

I replaced the xmas tree connectors with clip nuts w/ trim screws and covered the enclosure with Boom Mat. (thanks @GaTechTJ and @bobthetj03)

20200208_154537.jpg

This almost did the trick... but I still had vibration in the large open side of the center console, so I added some boom mat there.

20200214_185351.jpg

Final product:

20200214_190739.jpg

I also added a bit more polyfill inside the enclosure because it was punching hard. the 400 RMS in that tiny space packs a punch! (thanks @Reign Mack)

There is now zero vibration when the console lid is closed. When it is open, another story it seems there is a loose piece of plastic inside the lid. Anyway could be replaced. Sounds amazing thanks a lot for the help!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I am wanting to do this also...but that damn console insert tray is like GOLD...can only find one on ebay and the guy wants $125 for it...the search continues

I am wanting to do this also...but that damn console insert tray is like GOLD...can only find one on ebay and the guy wants $125 for it...the search continues
Cost me $85. It hurt to pay it but I love the setup.. so maybe worth it.

Very nice install. Love that you cant tell it is there from outside the jeep. For the console tray google 55315055AA that is the part number I pulled off the Mopar site. I found one for $45 on one of the parts sites.

Reactions: Tonyp and JMT