How to disable emissions on a TJ without check engine lights

This is the killer line.. Exactly what cost VW millions? or was it billions?
If your Jeep is off road only there is nothing illegal about it. If and when a person decides to take their vehicle that route it then falls on them to adhere to the legality of their choice. The diesel truck industry as well as performance car industries all have similar avenues that they all follow. That's why they all have disclaimers that boldly state off road only or something to that effect.

Reactions: Blondie70
The diesel truck industry as well as performance car industries all have similar avenues that they all follow. That's why they all have disclaimers that boldly state off road only or something to that effect
And those disclaimers are being proven illegal daily in courts. No disclaimer allows you to market products which break the law. AND the "offroad" disclaimer is being proven non binding too. Welcome to reality. Quit blaming California just because they got there first.

I am amazed at Texas who is not far behind California. Texas was the first state to outlaw kit cars.... like the Meyers Manz dune buggy.

And those disclaimers are being proven illegal daily in courts. No disclaimer allows you to market products which break the law. AND the "offroad" disclaimer is being proven non binding too. Welcome to reality. Quit blaming California just because they got there first.
I don't remember blaming California for "Federal emissions standards". For that matter, I wasn't referring to CA emissions standards in my comment about the virus if that is what you are basing your final statement on.

I am amazed at Texas who is not far behind California. Texas was the first state to outlaw kit cars.... like the Meyers Manz dune buggy.

Do you live in California? Just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Chris was encouraging anyone to do anything illegal. If I post about how one could rob a bank and someone does it, that is not my fault I would argue unless I am specifically involved in the calling to arms, planning, organisation and execution of the robbery. "hey y'all let's rob the local bank tonight at 4:00 using guns and a machete" is different from "one could rob a bank if they used a gun". Just my two cents.

Reactions: reddvltj
I spent a little over a decade in Florida, and boy was it nice not having to worry about emissions inspections - especially for a car guy. There's still something in the Florida state code about penalties for disabling or tampering w/ emissions systems, but please; that state is a free for all (which I like).

The notion of being penalized for turning off the evap monitor in your TJ's PCM is completely ridiculous. For that matter, evaporative emissions system controls are completely ridiculous.

Blah, blah, blah... emissions? What are those?

Those are things that are required for the inspection and annual registering of a variety of titled and street-legal vehicles, and which are also not required for a vehicle that is only driven on places that are not public roads.

This is what most people miss in their interpretation of the laws: there's no "off-road only" disclaimer that can be taken up in court, because there's no law being broken when you use a trail-only rig on a trail. If you drive on public roads, your vehicle must meet certain standards and follow certain requirements; if you do not, it does not. Removing the emissions equipment for a trail-only, untitled rig has about as much legal impact as not wearing a seatbelt while operating it; it might be stupid, but there's nothing preventing you from doing it and nothing to be prosecuted on an official level because the laws regarding titled, inspected and registered do not apply to it.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Chris
I don't remember blaming California for "Federal emissions standards".

It's ok, I'm sure you did at some point. I do it all the time. It's called CARB - California Air Resource Board. Their idiotic draconian measures usually set the stage for federal adoption years down the road. The new gas can regulations are a perfect example of the great work they do.

So these guys should be outlawed and have to run all the factory emissions systems on their cars. Right... :rolleyes:

001-factory-stoc-showdown-mopar-challenger.jpg

Reactions: reddvltj
Many of you have asked at one point how to remove your catalytic convertors, evap system, purge valve, etc, without getting a check engine light. Up until now many have thought it to be impossible, but this isn't true.

I had the privilege of speaking with one of the original Jeep / Chrysler software engineers today on the phone for an hour. He owns B&G Performance, and happens to be possibly the only guy in the country who can tune these PCMs fully.

One of the things he can do with is software is disable the emissions on your TJ. He can disable every emission system on the TJ which will allow you to remove all of your catalytic convertors, post-cat O2 sensors, evap system, purge valve, etc.

No more check engine lights from any of this stuff ever again, and it will run excellent according to him.

You can either send in your PCM to him using this form (mention that you want all the emissions disabled on your PCM) and he'll do it for $399, or you can buy the software from him for $599 to do it yourself (the software is locked to your VIN number though, so you can't go do it on all your friends TJs).

If you call them, ask to speak with Dave, and mention that Chris, the owner and admin of Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum sent you. Be sure to mention that, because he may hook you up with a deal. I don't stand to make a dime off of it, but I told him that I very much support what he is doing, and I'd be happy to point people his way using the forum.

B&G Performance can do more than just disable emissions as well. They can enable SKIM, take PCM from a manual transmission vehicle and turn on the automatic transmission module so that it works on an automatic. They can fully tune the fuel, timing, change when your cooling fan comes on, and edit just about every single parameter you could imagine.

Disclaimer: It is a violation of federal law to remove or tamper with an emissions system on a vehicle registered to operate on any public road. If your city has vehicle emissions testing and inspections, you will NOT pass with your emissions disabled. By disabling your emissions, you're doing it at your own risk. This post is not meant to encourage anyone to disable your emissions, it's simply to provide an option for those of us who use our vehicles for off-road driving only (which you can interpret any way you'd like).

Actually this info is what i been looking for thanks,,,also there is a way to remove all your ac junk and keep your defrost working as designed i lost the link when my pc crashed...do you know of a solution to that?

Actually this info is what i been looking for thanks,,,also there is a way to remove all your ac junk and keep your defrost working as designed i lost the link when my pc crashed...do you know of a solution to that?

If a rig doesn't have A/C from the factory the defrost still works. So removing your A/C isn't going to affect the defrost operation.
The reason for the A/C cycling on & off when in the defrost position is it helps to not fog up the windshield.

Reactions: John Cooper