How-To: Easy Peasy Dash Vent Filters for your TJ/LJ

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Supporting Member
Area Code 605 USA & Código de área 415 MX
If you own a TJ or LJ you know there is nothing quite like turning on the fan to get some air and getting a face full of dust from the dash vents instead.

Here is a simple hack to help keep those blasts of dust under control:

Vent Filters from Hardware Store.jpg
Vent Filters installed 06 04 2020.jpg

It only takes a few minutes to remove the defroster vent cover from the top of the dash and the two screws holding the dashboard center bezel in place in order to remove it. Since I already had the center bezel off to install the Panavise mount for my Garmin inReach, I took that opportunity to trim a furnace register filter and clip it into place behind the bezel with ordinary binder clips (use the size in between the two sizes pictured - I used my last of the correct size on my filter).

I don't know how well these will work in very heavy dust or how long they will last, but so far so good. The package says to replace in your home every 90 days. I've had some in my house for much longer that work just fine.

This will be an interesting experiment. If these really work it will be a terrific alternative to removing the cowl and trying to retrofit a pleated air filter. No modifications to the vehicle and the furnace vent filters cost pennies.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I think I read in popular mechanics back in the mid 90's, something, something, cabin air filters... and so on.

Cutting edge stuff. Lol.

I remember seeing a guy put a lawnmower air filter into his cabin air intake under the cowl.

I think I read in popular mechanics back in the mid 90's, something, something, cabin air filters... and so on.

Cutting edge stuff. Lol.

I remember seeing a guy put a lawnmower air filter into his cabin air intake under the cowl.

I probably saw a photo posted by the guy with the under cowl cabin air filter. I know that from time to time I've read posts complaining about the dust from those damn vents. I've received a face full of dust from those dash vents a time or two myself. [I never even thought about vents until this jeep - none of the other jeeps even had vents.]

I usually leave the vents closed or use A/C on recirculate if I'm in a situation where I care about dust, but I thought it might be nice to be able to use the vents as intended and the center bezel was out anyway, so why not?

Don't make fun of Popular Mechanics. You never know when one of the articles might come in handy. One of my all time favorites is "How to Build Your Dream Vacation Home for $99 and and Just One College Fraternity's Recycled Aluminum Cans."

If you own a TJ or LJ you know there is nothing quite like turning on the fan to get some air and getting a face full of dust from the dash vents instead.
This is so true! I warn passengers before I turn the fan on.

Reactions: Chris
Update: October 2022

The furnace register filter is doing its job. It cuts down airflow a bit, but not enough to stress the blower motor. The elimination of blasts of dust from the vents is worth the tradeoff.

I have only needed to replace the filter once, which took only a few minutes.

Update: October 2022

The furnace register filter is doing its job. It cuts down airflow a bit, but not enough to stress the blower motor. The elimination of blasts of dust from the vents is worth the tradeoff.

I have only needed to replace the filter once, which took only a few minutes.

Win!