How to Factory Wire Your TJ For A Hardtop Part 2 97-02 (Rear Tub Harness)

Thank you. I was thinking I was going to have to completely swap out my dash and cross body harnesses. Your approach seems much less daunting, although I'm going to need to bone up on my wiring diagram reading skills. On that note, can you tell me how I would locate the various C-connectors shown in your diagram (C202, C107, C2)?
Assuming you mean find them on the Jeep. in an 03-06 they should be under the drivers dash against the outside wall, above your left foot. For the C202 and C107. The C2 is behind the dash instrument cluster.

Reactions: Rcroane and Ironman
Assuming you mean find them on the Jeep. in an 03-06 they should be under the drivers dash against the outside wall, above your left foot. For the C202 and C107. The C2 is behind the dash instrument cluster.
Yes, thank you. I'm assuming these would also be on the donor harness? I was confused because I do not see a white connector with a red face on my donor dash or body harness (C202).

Here is what C202 and C107 connectors look like from the donor harness side:

3CpY4f.jpg
BuI2yK.jpg
vBDpBh.jpg
kYTuHC.jpg

This (If I remember correctly) is C2 that plugs directly into the gauge cluster.
2004-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-Dash-Heater-AC-Cluster-Wiring-Harness-A-C-Soft-Top_8efdfdba8044d886adae2...jpg

3CpY4f.jpg

BuI2yK.jpg

vBDpBh.jpg

Reactions: Rcroane
Here is what C202 and C107 connectors look like from the donor harness side:

View attachment 281277View attachment 281278View attachment 281281View attachment 281279

This (If I remember correctly) is C2 that plugs directly into the gauge cluster.
View attachment 281282

View attachment 281277

View attachment 281278

View attachment 281281
Thank you! And I realized I should be asking my questions on your original thread so others can benefit. I will do that going forward (not sure if an Admin can transfer over the ones I've asked already). Really appreciate the help and guidance. This is a really great solution.

Reactions: Scoutmapper
I went to change the rub harness on my 2005 rubicon. First thing i noticed is i have an evap canister in the passenger rear. My harness doesnt have this set of wires. The harness i got was from a 2003, is the evap only a one or two year thing?.

Any suggestions, if its disconnected i get errors.

Ron

I went to change the rub harness on my 2005 rubicon. First thing i noticed is i have an evap canister in the passenger rear. My harness doesnt have this set of wires. The harness i got was from a 2003, is the evap only a one or two year thing?.

Ron

Ron

Here's a link to the Factory Service Manuals. I believe both 2003 and 2005 have the evap canister, but you can check the wiring diagrams.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/

And, just curious, why do you need to replace the harness?

Ron

That particular wire harness runs under the tub and is not part of the hard top harness. I believe the evap canister wires are part of the taillight harness.

I was wanting to add the Hard top wiring to my jeep. It appears I will need to do additional research as the harness provided appears to have the third brake light on the harness without Evap and why I was asking.
We have had this harness for several years. Am I missing the front harness for the switches.
I have the 2 switches for the wiper and defrost. But nothing to plug into this. I also have the reservoir for the washers.

I am attaching a photo of what I have.
Not sure if this is enough to even consider trying to make it work.

To be honest I am not really sure what I have. Could this be right without the evap wires? It was said to be from a 2001 TJ.

Ron Bihler

20220808_193122.jpg

I was wanting to add the Hard top wiring to my jeep. It appears I will need to do additional research as the harness provided appears to have the third brake light on the harness without Evap and why I was asking.
We have had this harness for several years. Am I missing the front harness for the switches.
I have the 2 switches for the wiper and defrost. But nothing to plug into this. I also have the reservoir for the washers.

I am attaching a photo of what I have.
Not sure if this is enough to even consider trying to make it work.

To be honest I am not really sure what I have. Could this be right without the evap wires? It was said to be from a 2001 TJ.

Ron Bihler

View attachment 349503

A couple of things. Since you have an '05, the wiring procedure outlined in this thread won't work. You need to use the procedure outlined in this one...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2003-2006-hardtop-wiring.28790/

@Scoutmaster who replied to you earlier came up with this approach and deserves huge kudos! @Scoutmaster...please correct any errors in my response below!

You are correct in that you'll need two harnesses, the body harness that you have (assuming it is from an '03-'06 TJ) and the dash harness that has the wiring for the defrost and wiper switches. Looking at the body harness that you have, it is missing many of the connectors and the fuse box from which you would need to pull pins to tap into your existing body harness. I just did this job a few months ago on my '06 TJ. I sourced all the parts I needed from http://www.briskeymountain4wd.com for very reasonable prices. I shared my experience in the link above, but feel free to PM me with questions since it is still pretty fresh in my head.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw that your body harness is from an '01. The donor body and dash harness need to come from an '03-'06 model. And you'll want one from an automatic so you'll have the OD switch wires as well. Do Rubicon's have an extra dash switch for lockers? If so, you'll need to make sure your donor dash harness is from an auto Rubicon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the wealth of info.

Have a lovely stock 2005 TJ straight 6 auto... just got a 2004 hard top as I moved from Cali to Nova Scotia.

Called every yard I could find but none have any 2003 - 2006 wiring harnesses.

I bought a 2000 dash harness (w defrost and wiper) before reading this forum. Any insight on how to retrofit that to fit my situation? Is it a lost cause?

Also, I did find a 2000 tub harness, should I buy that?

Thanks for the wealth of info.

Have a lovely stock 2005 TJ straight 6 auto... just got a 2004 hard top as I moved from Cali to Nova Scotia.

Called every yard I could find but none have any 2003 - 2006 wiring harnesses.

I bought a 2000 dash harness (w defrost and wiper) before reading this forum. Any insight on how to retrofit that to fit my situation? Is it a lost cause?

Also, I did find a 2000 tub harness, should I buy that?

Consider making your own harness. Use the the diagram in the thread that @Scoutmapper posted in the thread I referenced in the post before yours. You'll need to source the necessary connector pins, but those should be easier to find than the complete harnesses. If you decide to go this route, reach out to me....I probably have some of the pins you'll need. I got my harnesses here....check with them if you haven't already. Good luck.

https://www.briskeymountain4wd.com/

I have an 05 and a 97-02 hardtop and found a 97-02 harness and was able to retro fit it. You’ll need 3 pins I think it was. I may still have a few pins left. I’ve helped a few others on the forum woth the same situation and sent them the pins they need. I also have a “roadmap” of what to do. Hit me up with a direct message and I’ll try to scrounge up the required pins that I can mail you if you want. It’s not terribly difficult but thankfully I have a neighbor that is an automotive electrical genius so he did 98% of the work lol.