How to find and buy a used Jeep Wrangler TJ

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
How to find and buy a used Jeep (if your not a mechanic):

In this "how to" I will show you how to use Search Tempest, Craigslist (CL) and Gmail notifications to automatically find the exact used Jeep you're looking for - the moment it goes up for sale - WITHOUT searching CL every 15 minutes. And then how to properly have the Jeep checked out before you buy it using Carfax and a vehicle inspection.

Hopefully this will make looking for a used car a lot easier. As well as vetting that vehicle for purchase.

I've searched for cars the better part of 40 years. And I own a PI firm. So I know my way around finding out information. About people and cars. And I see this type of question of how to look for or find a used Jeep asked a lot. But it's more alarming how many times the answer is "Be sure to check this. Be sure to check that.". Let's face it. Most of us aren't mechanics. Even if we work on our own cars. We aren't professionals. Thousands of dollars in repairs might await you in that used vehicle purchase. But if you run a Carfax and get a proper inspection by a "professional" you've taken as much guesswork out of the process as you can.

HERE'S HOW TO FIND ONE:

Search Tempest and CL saved searches:

The vast majority of Jeeps put up for sale are on Craigslist (CL). You don't want to be searching CL every 30 seconds. Hoping to find that great Jeep that just got posted.

To avoid searching CL every 15 minutes use https://www.searchtempest.com , then use saved searches on CL, and email notifications in Gmail.

***Sounds like a lot. But it only takes a few minutes to set up. And once it is your car search is on autopilot. You'll hear a ding and see a new Gmail number every time that Jeep - you're looking for - comes up for sale on CL.***

Capture2.JPG

Search Tempest allows you to search a multi-state area in CL with one search. Then links to those results on CL. (This is instead of searching on CL directly. Where you can only search by small areas. You can use Search Tempest in conjunction with CL to search the entire nation within a couple pages of links. Or most of your state with one search.) Set up your search parameters in Search Tempest. Then simply hit search. You'll get results like the image above. Click on each regional link to see the results in CL.

111111.JPG

Once you've opened the CL link from Search Tempest and before setting up your saved search on CL (see the "save search" link on the upper right of the page above?) - make sure to set up as many filters on CL as you can. (You can see that on the left where all the filters are.) Like if you want an automatic trans or a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder etc etc. This weeds out Jeeps you don't want to get emails for. (Notice in the CL page above. Before hitting the "save search" link. I selected all 6 cylinder Jeeps with an automatic transmission.)

Then once you've set up a saved search - as soon as a new Jeep gets posted - you get an email with a link to it.

So you know in moments when a new Jeep in your area - with exactly the options your looking for - is for sale. No more going thru CL one small area at a time - multiple times in a day.

And if you set up your gmail to notify you of each new email or Jeep posted - it will be on autopilot.

Email notifications in Gmail:

33333.JPG

I also set it up to send the notification emails from CL to a fresh gmail address. So you can set the gmail settings to play a sound and add a number to your gmail tab. Giving you an audible and visual notification of a new Jeep for sale. (Look in gmail settings to figure this out. Settings - General - "Desktop Notifications". )

That way when a new Jeep goes up for sale. You get a sound and visual notification within your new gmail tab without even thinking about it. Your car search is now on autopilot. At least for CL. Which is the vast majority of cars for sale these days.

This is for desktop. It's no different for cell phone. As I also have my gmail set up on my phone to give me a notification as well.

*Remember you can easily set up, the entire nation of CL results, to forward just the Jeeps you want to see. Or Jeeps within a given distance. And you no longer have to go into CL every 15 minutes to update it and get the latest results. They'll email directly to you. And with an audible and visual notification.

HOW TO BUY A USED JEEP - ONCE YOU'VE FOUND ONE:

$40 Carfax:

Do a $40 carfax (Or cheaper if you buy them in multiples.). I do this first. Before anything else.

2007 Yukon Carfax.JPG

I've found them to be quite detailed. Most of them list every single mom and pop mechanic place that has ever worked on the vehicle. They can list every single piece of maintenance ever done on a vehicle. As well as anything that's been fixed. They can uncover alot wrong with a vehicle. That would preclude you from purchasing it. Like a salvage title, accidents, or like you found out that it's an X when the seller said it was a Rubicon. The Carfax does not preclude a full inspection though. A carfax can't tell you if it's a worn out POS. That's what the inspection is for.

$200 vehicle inspection:

I always say "Do you mind if I pay for an inspection at your local dealership?". Or "my local mechanic?". It puts the onus on them to either look like an honest car seller or someone that is unwilling to back up their claims about their vehicle. If they refuse - walk away. Anyone with a reliable vehicle isn't going to be scared off by an inspection. Just make sure you can trust whomever is doing the inspection. They run between $100 and $200. Schedule it at the owners convenience. And make sure YOU PAY FOR THE INSPECTION. And make sure whomever is inspecting it knows they're working for you. Not the car seller. (See example below.)

Each mechanic or dealership will have their own "X" point inspection. Like a "25 point inspection". Make sure you read thru that list of points. And make sure nothing is missing that you want checked out on the Jeep. But most dealerships have a comprehensive inspection that will go thru the entire Jeep. Short of a compression test. Which might not be a bad idea. But it's going to cost you more. And might not be necessary if the engine is running without problem and not throwing codes. And you've had it inspected.

Keep in mind the inspection isn't in lieu of you checking out the Jeep yourself. You should make yourself as knowledgeable on Jeeps as you can. And keep a checklist of your own. Of things you want to make sure operate properly. Little things that need repair can add up. Getting as many eyes on the Jeep as possible is a good thing.

Which is why the inspection is so important. 98% of us aren't professional mechanics. We don't have a lift to get a good look under the Jeep. We don't have all the diagnostic tools. And we don't have the knowledge to suss out every little thing that might be wrong with the vehicle. You can come up with a comprehensive list of things to check yourself. But if your not a mechanic you're just fooling yourself that a vehicle your going to buy is sound. And your the one on the hook for those repairs if you don't find them beforehand. You can certainly (and you should) check out things yourself. BUT GET AN INSPECTION. It can only help you. And $200 before a ten grand or more purchase is good insurance.

You can also use the inspection to negotiate down the price of the Jeep. If you want to do the repairs yourself or have someone do them for you. Whoever does the inspection should also give you an estimate to fix all the repairs (Be sure to request that.). Just remember the dealership is going to be on the high end of repair estimates. Whereas your local mechanic might be willing to do them for much cheaper.

2222_LI.jpg

I have found mechanics willing to go look at a vehicle with me. But it will cost you $200+. And it's hard to find one that will. Best to just schedule the inspection based on the sellers schedule. (And at a location that is convenient for them. You can't expect a seller to transport their Jeep an hour away to have it inspected. Try to find the dealership closest to them. Or a Jeep mechanic that is within reasonable distance to the seller.)

Most honest sellers will put you in line with whomever came to see it first. No matter how long the inspection takes to schedule. Hopefully that's you. You may miss out on a couple buys here and there because of the inspection time. (I never have.) But it's just to much of a risk for me. To not have it checked out first. And even then things can be missed. But at least you did your due diligence. All you can realistically do is a carfax and inspection. Unless your a mechanic with the right diagnostic tools on hand. But you can't underestimate a detailed inspection up on a lift at a local dealership or mechanic. They can uncover so much more than you can in the seller's driveway.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Also, anyone viewing this guide should definitely check out this thread as well:

What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

That's an excellent thread. Thank you for posting it here. In addition to using a mechanic for a vehicle inspection. You should know what to look for yourself. If nothing else it will inform you as to the results of an inspection. And hopefully show you things that might not come up on an inspection. Or that might get missed. Inspections aren't perfect. Especially when going with a local mechanic that might not have a checklist of things to check. If you know what to look for - you'll know what to ask your mechanic to look at.

I had a '67 Volkswagen Bug checked out by a local VW mechanic in Seattle several years back. As I live in LA and was having the car shipped. And the dealership didn't know what to do with a car that old. The mechanic checked all the major things. But missed a short list of simple things like emergency lights, turn signals etc. It ended up costing me several hundred dollars to have those things fixed. It's not a bad idea to make up your own list of things you want checked. Make that part of your inspection invoice. I learned the hard way in that instance.

Reactions: Chris