How to fix a broken seat back release cable

Kedzie

I had success in fixing a seat back release cable (Mopar part 05093669AB) on my 2005 X. I removed and disassembled my passenger seat in which one of the seat back release cables broke. The seat back release cable is in the seat back so you need to remove the plastic handle and upholstery. I then managed to reattach the broken cable inside the lever and reassemble the seat. I didn't find any posts on this topic so thought i would share my experience.

20200111_190835.jpg

What broke?

There are 2 cables going from the top plastic seat back lever going to each side of the seat back. They pull up against a spring and release a lock on the seat back. This allows the seat back forward, which engages a 2nd cable which dumps the seat forward. There are threads on fixing the bottom cable; but my problem was in the seat back.

IMG-20200105-WA0007.jpg

This is how it is supposed to look:

IMG-20200105-WA0005.jpg

To access that lever to fix any connections the upholstery must be removed.

To disassemble the seat:

You must first unhook the black plastic connectors under the seat back.

20200112_132259.jpg

Next you begin peeling up the upholstery from the foam. Keep in mind it is attached with metal rods which keep the fabric nice and tight with the foam. You must peel back a the fabric enough to expose these rods so they can be disconnected.

IMG-20200105-WA0013.jpg

You must also remove the lever we are trying to fix to remove the upholstery.

IMG-20200105-WA0001.jpg

First remove the little black handle by prying it with a flathead. It comes off trust me. Next unscrew the single screw and remove the cover of the lever.

Here are the exposed rods which you must disconnect.

IMG-20200105-WA0015.jpg

Once disconnected this will allow you to flip up the fabric inside out, which frees the foam to pull forward. You cannot just pull the foam without flipping it because it is held in place by a clever lip which must be disengaged.

20200111_190904.jpg

The foam removed we have exposed the empty chair and seat back release cable.

20200111_162050.jpg

You could buy a new one for $90.. I disassembled and repaired mine. It unscrews from the chair with 2 screws and comes apart my depressing 3 plastic tabs.

20200111_190850.jpg

Here is where it broke:

20200111_192549.jpg

I fixed mine for under $6 with a crimp connector and a little loop:

20200112_134130.jpg

Just crimped it on there and attached it to the inside of the lever.

20200112_105723.jpg

And walla!! reattached the mechanism and reassembled the chair.

20200112_112710.jpg

I also made a youtube video, as there wasn't one yet. Happy to contribute!

Awesome write-up, thanks for this!

This topic comes up from time to time, so I’m sure this will be helpful.

Commenting to find this tomorrow morning. Searched forever and couldn’t find it lol. Trying this tomorrow!

Any tips on how to remove the drivers seat (06 TJ) witha broken cable? I obviously can't tilt it forward to access the rear bolts. I can't find a manual lever under the seat that I've seen referenced in other posts. Maybe the mechanism is different for the 06??

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
Reach under the seat and grab the round bar and twist it. If you grab with your palm up twist your hand to the left. You will hear it disengage. Hold the back with your right hand and it will tilt forward.

Any thoughts on putting seat covers in front load washing machine while they are off?? 2000 model ... seats could sure use a good cleaning

Any thoughts on putting seat covers in front load washing machine while they are off?? 2000 model ... seats could sure use a good cleaning
Did you run your covers through the washing machine? Did it work?

Just replaced my cable with new aftermarket cable. Now 2 weeks later my new cable broke at the same spot. ( the back of the seat.) What the heck!!