How-to fix an ignition key that won't turn (remains locked)

JJinQC

This is usually caused by sticking key cylinder plunger/s. Since you cannot turn the cylinder, you cannot turn it to "ON" position and therefore cannot remove the cylinder. One trick that I used twice successfully in my 30 years owning a wrangler is this:
The strategy is to shake things up in the cylinder and hopefully free the sticking plunger or plungers.

1. With key removed, hold a piece of wood, plastic or nylon against the cylinder visible portion to protect it against impacts
2. Using a vibrating tool pressed against the piece of wood, plastic or nylon, create a vibration in the cylinder
3. Insert the key and try to turn switch to "ON" position. If successful, remove the cylinder by pressing the locking cylinder tab by inserting a tool through the hole provided under the steering column cover (see other thread for help if needed)
4. Once removed soak the cylinder in cleaner like carb cleaner, then dry fully by blowing air on it, and re-install the cylinder

A) The first time I used an air compressor hammer for one second. Because of the power of the tool I barely used it against the protecting wood piece without pressure

B) The second time (yesterday) I used an oscillating multi-tool with the side of the cutting blade against the protecting piece of wood, nylon or plastic for 2 seconds. This would be my preferred method.

In both instances I was successful in freeing the stuck plunger

C) Other options could be to use a small orbiting sander with the side pressed against the protecting piece of wood or drill an off center hole a small cylinder of wood or nylon and using an electrical drill press the rotating cylinder against the protecting piece of wood, nylon or plastic. I did not try these two last options.

The idea is shake things up in the cylinder

Good luck!

Awesome write-up, and very helpful how-to article to have on the site.

Thanks for doing this!

I just watch a video on the web where a locksmith simply insert the key and tap on the end of the key with a screwdriver handle. It would be a good idea to try this first.

Reactions: Chris
I saw your post and was inspired to try removing the cylinder and spraying carb cleaner in it. Worked for me! Was happy. Obviously this is a lot less time and effort should it work.

Reactions: sideproject
Had this problem last week. Ended up calling a locksmith hoping to avoid drilling out the cylinder. He used a silicone spray lube and it worked. Was able to remove the cylinder to repair/replace.

Reactions: sideproject
I just watch a video on the web where a locksmith simply insert the key and tap on the end of the key with a screwdriver handle. It would be a good idea to try this first.

This worked!!! You saved me so much anguish. God bless you 😄