How to fix heat / AC / air not blowing through center vents

TJDave

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am a newbie who had an issue with my '97 TJ 4 cylinder Wrangler's HVAC system not blowing through the dash vents. It would blow through the floor and defrost at any temperature I wanted but it just wouldn't come out the face vents. I don't know a whole lot about cars but I couldn't find a simple, detailed fix for my problem so I thought I’d create one for other beginners. From my reading, I gather that this forum is oriented more toward the advanced Jeepers so I apologize for the simplistic nature of this post. If any of you pros read this and spot any erroneous info, please correct me.

When I bought my '97, the guy said the AC issue just started happening and his mechanic friend said it was a broken selector switch and it would be cheap to fix. After extensive research on Wrangler forums, i figured it was probably an issue with the blend door and not the selector. The blend door controls the flow of air from defrost vent, dash vent, floor vents, etc and not the blend of hot and cold air like I originally assumed. I called my local dealer and he confirmed that it sounded like a broken blend door and it'd be $95 to hook it up to the computer and another several hundred dollars to repair if the blend door was indeed the culprit.

The blend door and actuators are located behind the dashboard. If you're looking at the dash, they're to the left of the AC selector switch and down about 6 inches. You can see them if you stick your head in the floorboard and look up underneath the dash. I removed the plastic knee blocker piece under the steering wheel and the metal piece beneath that so i could get some more light.

SteeringWheel.jpg

I had seen other posts where guys laid upside down in the driver's seat with their heads in the floor so I tried that for about an hour and almost killed myself. I couldn't fit my arms under the dash so I ended up taking out the driver's seat and I highly recommend going that route. I was intimidated by this prospect at first but it's simple. Mine just had 4 bolts connecting it to the body. Then I had to remove the seatbelt sensor wire from the seat which is just a little plastic clip by the seatbelt which comes right off. Once I was finally able to maneuver, I located the problem.

If you look under the dash, the blend door and actuators are a few inches up and to the left (if you're lying upside down). I believe the actuators or diaphragms are 3 round silver ball looking things with silver arms coming out of them. They look like the picture below:

Actuator.jpg

The arms attach to the blend door and this is where my problem was. The plastic part that connected the silver arm to the blend door had broken and it was very hard to get my hands into that little area. If you have the AC on and move the vent selector between the various positions, you will see the arms move and you can see what position gives you the most access to the area. I found the broken arm and reattached it by getting a 1 inch #10 sheet metal screw from Home Depot. I put it though the hole in the arm and screwed it back in without even worrying about taking the original broken piece out of the blend door because it's hollow anyway. here's what the broken piece looks like and where I reattached it

Blenddoor1.jpg

I think the blend door for the dash vents was the middle of the 3 actuators. I ended up having to hold the plastic door attachment piece in place with my left hand and taking the screwdriver in my right hand through the removed knee blocker I referenced earlier.

I apologize for the long, tedious post but hope some other newbs can get some use out of it.

Ended up being the same problem. Great tip taking the seat out. I struggled for about 5 minutes then followed your advice. Not as nimble as I once was.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out! My TJ did the same thing, and this ended up being the solution as well.

We’ve had 10 or so days of near 0 degrees so I haven’t been able to put the arm in. We are getting a blizzard tomorrow so I couldn’t wait any longer and made the mistake of keeping the part in the Jeep so I wouldn’t loose it. Like a numb skull I broke it putting it in From being brittle from the cold...grrrrr!! I was able to turn the door into place for the defroster at least so it will hold me until I get another and I can at least get my Jeep back on the road.

Reactions: Chris
Damn, that sucks! At least you got the door open enough so you can stay warm! Though in that cold weather, I'm not even sure how hot your heater will blow anyways!

I don’t like to drive it that cold with the soft top. I have cracked windows in my soft top in previous jeeps. It’s around 30 now and by the time I got it back together it was blowing pretty hot. It’s not my everyday driver so I only drive it when it’s really snowing and I have to get into the hospital. Like tomorrow.

Makes sense! I usually end up driving our Subaru in the crazy snow. I've come to appreciate the heated seats, heated mirrors, and heated windshield wipers!

Makes sense! I usually end up driving our Subaru in the crazy snow. I've come to appreciate the heated seats, heated mirrors, and heated windshield wipers!

Subaru?????

I did not know there is such thing as a heated windshield wipers!

Chris, you are pulling my legs, right? If there is, what's the point?

Last edited:
Subaru?????

I did not know there is such thing as a heated windshield wipers!

Chris, you are pulling my legs, right? If there is, what's the point?

I'm not pulling your leg at all. I did mistake the verbiage though. It turns out that the bottom of the windshield and the spot where the wiper blades rest is heated, which melts the ice off the window / wipers should you get stuck in an ice storm.

I'm not pulling your leg at all. I did mistake the verbiage though. It turns out that the bottom of the windshield and the spot where the wiper blades rest is heated, which melts the ice off the window / wipers should you get stuck in an ice storm.

Now that makes sense.
I was gonna say what's the point if the windshield glass is frozen.

While changing the heater core, i discovered the reason for my center vents not blowing.
Screenshot_2020-04-17-18-13-08.jpg

Issue was a broken blend door arm, but the thing snapped inside of the door tube, so on the outside everything looked normal and showed no signs of issues.
As for the solution, i cant think of anything other than pulling the whole unit out and taking it apart.
The door itself was showing resistance to close and open, and had no grease on the contact points to make things smoother.
20200417_175555-1 (1).jpg

20200417_175411-1.jpg

While changing the heater core, i discovered the reason for my center vents not blowing.
View attachment 153614

Issue was a broken blend door arm, but the thing snapped inside of the door tube, so on the outside everything looked normal and showed no signs of issues.
As for the solution, i cant think of anything other than pulling the whole unit out and taking it apart.
The door itself was showing resistance to close and open, and had no grease on the contact points to make things smoother.
View attachment 153621
View attachment 153622
How did you fix this? I’m having the same issue. We’re you able to buy a new blend door?

How did you fix this? I’m having the same issue. We’re you able to buy a new blend door?

Welcome to forums!
I believe 05-06 models ended up with a different AC unit. If you don't fall into that category, you can but a new blend door link/lever (1st picture, circled red) and possibly replace it without pulling the whole unit out.

If you are with a later model like me, your shit is out of luck, those links are no where to be found. It does not look like there were ever replacement parts for it.
I purchased a tube of plastic JB Weld and glued actuator to the blend door. If you look at the last picture from my previous post, there is plenty of real estate on the inside of blend door.

You will have to pull the whole thing out for two reasons:
1. See how dirty it is? That needs to be cleaned for a good bond.
2. Vacuum actuator that is responsible for that door puts a lot of pressure on that lever when it is in resting position. I have a feeling that is what broke it. I don't think anything good will come out If you simply attach the actuator to a lever as a guide, and pack it with what ever glue you chose to go with.

I am a newbie who had an issue with my '97 TJ 4 cylinder Wrangler's HVAC system not blowing through the dash vents. It would blow through the floor and defrost at any temperature I wanted but it just wouldn't come out the face vents. I don't know a whole lot about cars but I couldn't find a simple, detailed fix for my problem so I thought I’d create one for other beginners. From my reading, I gather that this forum is oriented more toward the advanced Jeepers so I apologize for the simplistic nature of this post. If any of you pros read this and spot any erroneous info, please correct me.

When I bought my '97, the guy said the AC issue just started happening and his mechanic friend said it was a broken selector switch and it would be cheap to fix. After extensive research on Wrangler forums, i figured it was probably an issue with the blend door and not the selector. The blend door controls the flow of air from defrost vent, dash vent, floor vents, etc and not the blend of hot and cold air like I originally assumed. I called my local dealer and he confirmed that it sounded like a broken blend door and it'd be $95 to hook it up to the computer and another several hundred dollars to repair if the blend door was indeed the culprit.

The blend door and actuators are located behind the dashboard. If you're looking at the dash, they're to the left of the AC selector switch and down about 6 inches. You can see them if you stick your head in the floorboard and look up underneath the dash. I removed the plastic knee blocker piece under the steering wheel and the metal piece beneath that so i could get some more light.

View attachment 8186

I had seen other posts where guys laid upside down in the driver's seat with their heads in the floor so I tried that for about an hour and almost killed myself. I couldn't fit my arms under the dash so I ended up taking out the driver's seat and I highly recommend going that route. I was intimidated by this prospect at first but it's simple. Mine just had 4 bolts connecting it to the body. Then I had to remove the seatbelt sensor wire from the seat which is just a little plastic clip by the seatbelt which comes right off. Once I was finally able to maneuver, I located the problem.

If you look under the dash, the blend door and actuators are a few inches up and to the left (if you're lying upside down). I believe the actuators or diaphragms are 3 round silver ball looking things with silver arms coming out of them. They look like the picture below:

View attachment 8187

The arms attach to the blend door and this is where my problem was. The plastic part that connected the silver arm to the blend door had broken and it was very hard to get my hands into that little area. If you have the AC on and move the vent selector between the various positions, you will see the arms move and you can see what position gives you the most access to the area. I found the broken arm and reattached it by getting a 1 inch #10 sheet metal screw from Home Depot. I put it though the hole in the arm and screwed it back in without even worrying about taking the original broken piece out of the blend door because it's hollow anyway. here's what the broken piece looks like and where I reattached it

View attachment 8188

I think the blend door for the dash vents was the middle of the 3 actuators. I ended up having to hold the plastic door attachment piece in place with my left hand and taking the screwdriver in my right hand through the removed knee blocker I referenced earlier.

I apologize for the long, tedious post but hope some other newbs can get some use out of it.

Having the same problem with air only coming through defrost, i removed my HVAC lines under the hood and didn’t find any cracks, and checked to see if my blend door arm was broke but it’s not broke either, starting to wonder if my problem is behind the dash. any other ideas lol?

@DaddyZSmith if you are gonna pull the HVAC box... take your time and be gentle. Lots of old brittle plastic clips and what-nots, especially the wiring in the steering column.

Also... take it easy on the studs thru the firewall... they always gave me the hardest time, resulting in 2x studs being stripped/non-functional.