How to fix no 4WD dash light

isaac2098

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have seen a few threads out there about the 4WD dash light often times not illuminating in our TJs and LJs. I personally have never seen the 4WD light illuminate in my 2006 LJ in my 4 years of ownership. Even as little as an issue as this may seem (because 4WD still engages), for $30 it is nice to know things are working correctly in your vehicle. I will document how to replace the 4WD transfer case switch that is responsible for engaging and disengaging the dash light.

Note: there is another issue out there that revolves around the 4WD light not going out after disengage and staying on all the time, I do not know how to fix this and this how to guide is for those who do not have a 4WD light at all or intermittently.

Here is a link to the new Crown Automotive switch and new rubber seal that is purchased separately
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094QJ3KO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390VES0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

DO NOT use the Dorman replacement switch, there have been countless bad reviews about it not working at all or failing within a short time. You'll save yourself time in the long run getting the Crown and it's only a few dollars difference.

For this project you will need a 3/8" drive ratchet, a 7/8" socket, and some tool to unhook the wiring harness (you can use your hand if you are able to).
IMG_6993.jpeg

Next you will want to identify where the switch is on the transfer case so you know where you are working. It is accessible from the driver's side and can be seen by looking up toward the TC from the front driveshaft or by reaching over the back of the TC and feeling. There is much much more room behind the skid plate on the back of the TC so I just found where it was by looking from the front then did the rest of the work by feel from the back. This is what it looks like from the front:
IMG_6987.jpeg

This is what it looks like from the back:
IMG_6989.jpeg

Disconnecting the wiring harness is very easy, I had to use a tool to get in there and lift the tab because the tab was facing the TC body and my fingers could not do it. After that, you'll get the best leverage to loosen if you work from the back so that you are pulling the ratchet toward you to loosen. Be careful not to let any crud that's in that corner go down the hole once you remove it.

This is a comparison of the new switch and old switch, very nice.
IMG_6990.jpeg

After removal, get your new switch along with the new rubber seal and tighten it back down to hand tight plus a 1/4 turn. Do not overtighten the switch, you will be able to feel when it is tight and not going anywhere.

Don't forget to plug your harness back in, making sure the side with the clip on the body side harness is on the side on the switch that has the tab.

IMG_6991.jpeg

Test your switch by going into 4HI, I like to engage when rolling <10 mph so I took the Jeep around my street and tested it. And there you go, your 4WD light now illuminates again and everything is working as it should.
IMG_6992.jpeg

Last edited:
I completed this and it works great! Of course I bumpEd the speedometer wiring, broke one evidently and lost speedometer as well as engine check light. Another $20 for a new connector and everything works great again.

Reactions: isaac2098