How to fix stiff lock / latch on TJ center console

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hello all,

I've read around and know that I'm not the only one that has to apply 50lbs of pressure to get my middle console open. Lucky for us this is a really simple fix. This is my first "how to" thread so bear with me here.

Step 1: Remove latch from middle console by pushing in on the two tabs on the side.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Highlighted in red are the locations of the two springs inside the lock. Be careful when removing, I lost the small spring for about 10 minutes after it shot out.

3.jpg

Step 2: Find the lock cylinder removal tab and press inward with something small.

4.jpg

These are all of the pieces that should come out of your assembly. The one that we'll be modifying is the plunger circled in white. Notice the smaller circle where the flat edge of the plunger is? That's what we'll be modifying.

5.jpg

Step 3: Use a file and file down ONE side of the plunger. There's a small piece that sticks out on the plunger. I have an arrow pointing to it. That's the side you want to file down. However, you will only file the tip at about a 45 degree angle. DO NOT shorten the total length at all, simply file the one side enough to create a small angle.

7.jpg

6.jpg

This is the side that slides against the latch itself. Creating this angle ensures the two pieces slide smoothly on a larger contact patch. You can see in the image below how the latch has an angled surface where the plunger slides against it. Now your plunger angle matches.

8.jpg

Step 4: Reassembly. If you know how to put it back together then you need not read forward. However I'll explain for those of you who may be lost. In the bottom of the main latch cylinder where the latch itself goes, there's a small nipple inside which I have an arrow pointing to. This is where you set your small spring.

9.jpg

Step 5: Take the latch itself and put it in that slot. You'll notice a small groove where the spring rests to push the latch outwards.

10.jpg

Step 6: Hold the latch into place with one finger to make sure it doesn't move out of place. Turn your main latch cylinder upward and place the large spring into the opening.

11.jpg

Step 7: Your lock cylinder and plunger have small grooves that can only come together one way, which I have pointed out with arrows. Make sure they mate up like so.

12.jpg

Step 8: Insert the lock cylinder into the main latch cylinder. The little tab you used to get it out can only be inserted one way.

13.jpg

Once the lock cylinder is in place put the whole assembly back into your vehicle. You're done! It also may be helpful to spray a dab of silicone lubricant in the latch where the plunger contacts it, just for a little more ease of movement. Now opening my middle console no longer requires brute force. Just one of the little things!

Nice write up.

This reminds me when I got my Jeep. I struggled and struggled to open up the center console. Stiff and hard to open.

Then one day I was cleaning the interior with my kids and my 3 year old unlocked the center console to pull his sunglasses out. I asked him to do it again and he did it quickly. After a while I realized he was adding no downward pressure and just turning the key. That's when I realized I was doing it wrong lol

Awesome write-up! And I'll say it again, I love that interior color!

Awesome write-up! And I'll say it again, I love that interior color!
Thanks! I guess only the Apex models got these. I sometimes consider selling them because I get too worried about beating them up. Note the mud splattered on my windows :D
CF64B88C-AC14-4EC0-9A11-4B7C0A5D90E2.jpeg

Reactions: AutoCrat
Thanks! I guess only the Apex models got these. I sometimes consider selling them because I get too worried about beating them up. Note the mud splattered on my windows :D
View attachment 54485

I like them because it reminds me of the Modena interior (which was a similar color) on my BMW M3 I used to own. Very cool when it's paired with black, as it accents it.

Put some Bartact seat covers over them to protect them. They fit so well you'd never know they were seat covers.

Mine got stuck as well a few years ago. I think mine was just worn out so I just soaked it in WD-40 overnight. Made it way way easier to open. Worked great until some jackass in Chicago ripped open my center console when I had no doors on (guess he found out I don't keep anything of value in my Jeep :D).

Had to get a new lock and latch. Unfortunately, even in the locked position, you can easily pull open my center console with just a little force with my new latch. Guess I have a crackhead to thank for that one...

Great write up by the way!

Reactions: Chris
Just performed this mod and it works like a charm now.

Thanks for the post!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad I could help! It’s a little thing but it’s so nice being able to get into the console without forcing it. I do a lot of exploring so I keep my gloves, led headlamp, and flashlight in there.

Wait sorry to derail but are these seat valuable? Id trade for some cloth ones with Bartacts. lol Awesome write up though. My wife and i are headed on a road trip tomorrow and i now have away to fix that before we leave!

Holy thread revival Batman. I forgot I did this lol. Just an update I did this close to a year ago and it’s still working great!

Wait sorry to derail but are these seat valuable? Id trade for some cloth ones with Bartacts.

I wouldn’t say valuable as much as rare. It depends on how badly someone wants a set. Occasionally I see these, or even just the skins go up on eBay for a much higher price than normal seats would and they’re gone pretty quickly.